Congo Serpent Eagle

Musician? Get your groove on...Share your original sounds, collaborate, hear the beat of Ninja made by Ninjas...
Brewtality
novice ninja

Congo Serpent Eagle

Postby Brewtality » Thu May 26, 2016 10:19 am

Ninjas!

A few months ago, I was at a house party where I ended up jamming with a few dudes, much to the delight of the people there. Now we are a band and our first show is coming up on Friday 3rd June. As the title of the thread suggests, we are named 'Congo Serpent Eagle' although that name is probably subject to change if anyone can think of a better one (I really like it how it is).

We play a mixture of funk/soul/blues/jazz/afro/rock and things are going pretty well thus far. I'm the singer and we also have two badass guitarists, an incredible bassist and drummer and a multi-instrumentalist who handles beats, effects, saxophone and clarinet. We're a pretty varied bunch, being made up of 2 Brits, an American, a German and two Tanzanians. There are no recordings as of yet but I'll get some up here as soon as we have them available.

If anybody would like to have a bit of fun designing a band logo or some artwork then that would be absolutely great!

More to follow...

Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Thu May 26, 2016 6:48 pm

I remember reading about you meeting those guys and jamming out. I'm glad you guys are all still enjoying each other's company. :D I can't wait to hear what kinda music you guys can make!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:32 am

Well we've just had a busy couple of days. Due to everyone's schedule we haven't been able to rehearse over the past couple of weeks, which means our total number of full-band rehearsals has been.... 1. However, on Friday night we played our first show at a local bar. It was just meant as a warm-up and we tried a couple of things which didn't work, but people still had fun. Last night though, we played our first show proper and - even though I do say so myself - we rocked it. Everybody was on the dance floor going wild and when it was time to call it a night, we ended up doing 3 encores by request because nobody wanted us to stop!

We've got a lot of interest in the band now and we got quite a few offers to play more shows last night so I couldn't be happier really. Actually, I could! I/we would really love someone on here to have a go and coming up with a logo or something for the band. Maybe I need to make an official request in the art forum or something...

Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:47 am

Until someone with actual talent gets here.

ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:00 am

Cheers Pawly! I am EXTREMELY grateful that you took time out of your day to make those! Thank you very much.

Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:23 pm

Awesome brew and that was Sweet of u pawly
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
Brewtality
novice ninja

Re: Congo Serpent Eagle

Postby Brewtality » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:43 am

UPDATE:

Well, things have been going pretty well for us in the last 6 months! We've been organising our own shows and they've been going really well. In addition to the main Congo Serpent Eagle stuff, I've been doing some acoustic shows with one of the other guys from the band and they've been going great.

The highlight so far has been getting asked to headline a music festival! We were supposed to be opening the last day but during soundcheck we got bumped up. That was both awesome but nerve-wracking too as the other artists who played that day are international touring bands - Maia Von Leckow from Kenya, Smadj from France and Mzungu Kicha from Denmark. Fortunately, we killed it!

This is where we played! It's at the base of an active volcano called Oldonyo Lengai, which in the Maasai language means 'The Mountain of God'. We played on the banks of Lake Natron (google it, it's insane!) and we could see the flocks of flamingos from the stage. Surreal.

And here we are choosing our setlist for the evening. That's me on the left.

So that all went well and we're writing a lot of new music but now for the next step!!!!

We have been offered a slot at the Earthworks Harvest Gathering which is a music festival in Michigan! That means that we are now starting to plan a short US tour for September this year! So far the plan is to play the festival as well as one or two more dates in Michigan and then play Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington and New York. If anybody out there knows of any good venues or promotors then your help would be greatly appreciated. We're going to get a kickstarter/gofundme going ASAP. The Tanzanian guys in our band won't be able to afford airfare or accommodation and we're not planning on being paid a great deal so we're going to need people's help to do this. Hopefully the idea of a band from Tanzania coming to rock out in the USA will be enough to get people to donate a couple of dollars.

Also, if anybody could help with finding accommodation or whatever then that would be AWESOME! It'd be great to come over and play and get to meet and spend time with some of you fine people too!

Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:48 am

NEW SONG ALERT!!!!

This is 'She Said' by Congo Serpent Eagle.

I hope you guys like it!

NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:14 pm

(sun)
look at how much progress you guys have made in just under a year! INCREDIBLE! congrats for the consistent upward motion. my fella fronted a band for years and i know all about the behind-the-scenes of that world and what it takes. so much work!!

i also know the feeling of growing momentum and success and it's awesome to be able to see this story unfold!
/flame

where do you guys want to play / have booked to play in the US?
ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.

Postby ghostdogg » Fri May 12, 2017 6:41 pm

this is some really cool stuff
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed May 17, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks very much guys! I've just finished moving house and I'll now be living with my bandmate. We've just got to get our home studio set up and then we can begin doing some more recording. As for the US, we're flying into Michigan in late August but haven't got the other shows booked yet. I'll be travelling to New York to play and hopefully meet up with friends and maybe even Phara herself. But apart from that.... not much booked. I think we've all just been super busy with work and life stuff.

NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed May 17, 2017 4:46 pm

Brewtality wrote:Thanks very much guys! I've just finished moving house and I'll now be living with my bandmate. We've just got to get our home studio set up and then we can begin doing some more recording. As for the US, we're flying into Michigan in late August but haven't got the other shows booked yet. I'll be travelling to New York to play and hopefully meet up with friends and maybe even Phara herself. But apart from that.... not much booked. I think we've all just been super busy with work and life stuff.

well that's cool! even though you guys have been busy with other stuff, living together will likely lead to expanded creativity for one.
plus, US trip! AWESOME congrats! hope it works out that you can meet up with Phara, too! Ninja Meet-Ups FTW!!!

keep it up at the pace needed. you guys are good. :-)

Return to “Music”