Why it took me eight years and 300,000 words to say goodbye to World of Warcraft

Videogames, Tabletops, LARP - you do it, we'll talk about it.
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Why it took me eight years and 300,000 words to say goodbye to World of Warcraft

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:01 pm

I found this to be an interesting read. I raided hardcore during the early World of Warcraft days.

-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Re: Why it took me eight years and 300,000 words to say goodbye to World of Warcraft

Postby Feydakin » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:59 pm

I think that pretty much sums up the experiences of anyone that did progression raiding in WoW before Wrath. I know it was mine... I came from Ultima Online before WoW. Post WoW launch, UO was taking a similar path, making everything easier, adding things that just didn't fit to try and capture some of that lighting in a bottle that made WoW so popular, and failing miserably. The gradual slide down that WoW took with regard to raiding especially was a very embittering experience and was the main reason why I quit for so long. Since coming back to WoW last November I have really slowly been remembering why myself and most of my raiding guildmates quit in the first place. Blizzard lost their way and can't figure out how to get back on track even though the fan base has been talking about it for years...
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Re: Why it took me eight years and 300,000 words to say goodbye to World of Warcraft

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:19 am

I think that pretty much sums up the experiences of anyone that did progression raiding in WoW before Wrath. I know it was mine.

mine too. The "vanilla" days were great. They consistently "dumbed" the game down. It got to a point where my guildmates were actually paying for my account and farming my materials for me just to keep me showing up (apparently I was an OP mage).

I did have the honor of beat all of Aq40/20, ZG20, Molten Core, BlackWingLAir, and we even beat a couple bosses in the ORIGINAL level 60 40 man Naxx (Apparently this was a big deal, I head rumors that less than 1% of the WoW population ever set foot in that raid). That was seriously the most fun gaming I ever took part in. Its a shame they changed the game so much. More recently they decided they couldn't run legacy servers either (though, I wouldn't have the time to play now anyways).
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Yeah there is nothing now that compares to old school raiding. People that don't know laugh, but there was a real feeling of accomplishment and a rush when you finally beat that encounter you'd been banging your heads against for weeks, maybe months. It's a sad state of affairs that I've been searching since basically old school Ultima Online and Earth & Beyond to find that feeling again I got from MMOs back then. WoW came pretty close and progression raiding back then was really rewarding, but the wonder has just gone. I don't know if I'm just getting too old and embittered or if games are really just the cynical cash grabs they feel like to me now most of the time? Asian MMOs especially just feel like the same shit every time with a slightly different milieu. I've stopped giving into the hype every time a new MMO comes down the pipe... This latest foray back into WoW has done nothing but remind me why I quit in the first place. I'm still going to give it a go with my old guild and see if we can still have fun with it, but I have a feeling it's going to end the same way. :?
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:23 pm

The part of that blog that resonated was when he mentioned seeing people hanging out in town that had the really cool looking gear, and the drive to know where they got it and how I could get it... They have made most MMOs like real life, where everyone gets a participation trophy and everyone can basically get the same gear just by showing up. They took away the main driver behind wanting to do the content in the first place, and I'm not sure that they even realize it. Bah...
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:43 pm

interesting read.. ive never played WoW but ive friends who have been engrossed with it. it actually paints a informative picture of why it was such a thing a while ago. too bad blizzard broke the system
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:53 am

I want to tell people that might be interested to try out MMOs, but honestly there are so few that really capture the old school feel that I stop myself. There are a few worth checking out at least though.

If you love great story and characters with lots of awesome voice acting, pick up a copy of Star Wars: The Old Republic. You can play through all of the class leveling stories for free, which is basically the best part of the game.

http://www.swtor.com/

If you love Lovecraftian themes, Cthulhu Mythos, conspiracy theories, etc... then you HAVE to play The Secret World. It's combat system is meh, but the stories, puzzle missions and voice acting are superb. I think the game is buy to play, which means you buy the client and can play the content. It does have what might be considered DLC that you can buy that adds to the end game mostly. Again, like SWTOR it's worth it just for the leveling content.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/
ImageImage
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:44 am

Feydakin wrote:Yeah there is nothing now that compares to old school raiding.

Our guild was proud to always have the world bosses on lock-down. We actually paid smaller guilds with flasks and promises for aid during smaller 20man raids in exchange for giving us notice of world boss spawns. Because of this I was able to lock-down a bunch of Ice focused Specialty gear + full tier 2. I cant remember the name but there was a sword that I had and no other person ever had on the server because of our complete dominance of world bosses. Essentially, for about two years I was the most decked out mage on the server (Second only to one other mage that was in our guild and had seniority, but he focused fire and I focused Ice & Arcane after expansion). I was definitely one of those asshats that sat in the middle of OGR so others could gawk at my gear.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Earth & Beyond

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:21 pm

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:Our guild was proud to always have the world bosses on lock-down. We actually paid smaller guilds with flasks and promises for aid during smaller 20man raids in exchange for giving us notice of world boss spawns. Because of this I was able to lock-down a bunch of Ice focused Specialty gear + full tier 2. I cant remember the name but there was a sword that I had and no other person ever had on the server because of our complete dominance of world bosses. Essentially, for about two years I was the most decked out mage on the server (Second only to one other mage that was in our guild and had seniority, but he focused fire and I focused Ice & Arcane after expansion). I was definitely one of those asshats that sat in the middle of OGR so others could gawk at my gear.

That wasn't so much me in WoW as it was for me in Earth & Beyond... I didn't start really raiding until later in Vanilla so I missed out on some of it. In Earth & Beyond though it was very similar, even more so in fact because they had a really cool crafting system. Most of the best gear came from crafting, so camping what amounted to "world bosses" in E&B was to got gear so that you could analyze it for a chance to acquire the blueprint for an item. There were also many times craftable components in that gear so you would have to get several copies sometimes before you acquired all of the blueprints necessary to build it... and yes there was a chance of failure when analyzing depending on how rare something was, so it made the really good gear very hard to get. In theory this would make people interdependent, and it did, but usually it was a few large guilds that were vying for the rare spawns and cornering the market on rare drop gear. The open universe spawn system was a little different too. Some spawns were on a weekly timer where they could spawn anywhere in a 48 hour window. Those were some serious marathon camping sessions... Raiding was similar in scope to WoW though, and just as complex or even more so in some cases... Rarely were bosses just a tank and spank. I loved that game, and was so angry when EA shut it down... but that was my impetus for returning to WoW and raiding again. ;)

ImageImage
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:34 pm

Gone are the glory days of raiding. Yah blueprints and crafting was always fun too. Though, yer game sounds like they had a more complex crafting system than WoW (Unless you count the Thunderfury).

rules for a Wow-raiding mage (aka the easiest raid class):

1. Do not stand in "fire"
2. Do not "pull" or "aggro" the boss
3. Did I mention not standing in "fire"?

or as my guild put it, "Dont Suck, Dont Die."
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:40 pm

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:Gone are the glory days of raiding. Yah blueprints and crafting was always fun too. Though, yer game sounds like they had a more complex crafting system than WoW (Unless you count the Thunderfury).

It was a fair amount more complex than WoW's system but not as complex as EVE Online. Somewhere in the middle I guess. ;)
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:01 pm

I just wanted to update this since Legion has come out and I am still playing... I have to admit, the changes and direction Blizzard seems to be going with Legion is bringing back those things that I complained about earlier.

Listened to a few Q&A's with Ion Hazzikostas now... It really feels like Blizzard is finally getting away from some of the development and design philosophies that really made me quit back in MoP. It's heartening... I especially like that they are embracing things like attunements and complexity and world spanning secrets and the fact that not everyone needs to be able to see all the content.

ImageImage
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:25 pm

I'd like to see a similar game based in the Marvel Universe.

That being said, I'm glad your enjoying it again.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:39 pm

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:I'd like to see a similar game based in the Marvel Universe.

That being said, I'm glad your enjoying it again.

Same. There are some superhero MMOs out there, and DC Universe Online is actually pretty fun, but the only multiplayer, persistent online game for Marvel is Marvel Heroes. Marvel Heroes is more of a Diablo-esque game than an MMO, but it can be super fun.
ImageImage

Return to “Gaming”