Hot board games!

Videogames, Tabletops, LARP - you do it, we'll talk about it.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Ive been huge into board games for awhile now. I dont know too many people that share this wonder since I moved to the west coast.

Settlers of Catan - family friendly fun. Think of monopoly, but you get to do things when it isnt your turn to help build your empire.
The Cities and Knights expansion does add a shitload of fun depth to this game, but it also adds en extra hour (at least) of play time.

Ticket to ride - Get missions to build your train track empire more expansive than your opponents - earning victory points for each complete mission. Missions being "Build your track from Wisconsin to Florida" or something similar to that. the more area your mission covers, the more points you get for completing it. it is more fun than it sounds, i rpomise.

Munchkin quest, and all of its expansions - Pretty fun if you're playing with 3 or more people. You have a character, and you gain levels and stats by defeating monsters and gathering loot, all with cards. and you have cards to screw over anyone else in various ways.

the thing is though, there are a ton of different varieties of the base game, and they are kind of boring because they all play the same way. the real fun here is getting a bunch of the expansions and mixing them together with one of the base games.

7 Wonders - A fun game where there is a deck for each of the 3 rounds. the deck is divided into even piles, one pile for each player. each player looks at their pile, picks a card for their hand, and passes their pile to the next person. then you take a card for your hand out of the pile that was just handed to you, and pass that to the next player. Take another card from the pile just handed to you for your hand, and so on.

It's tough to be good the first couple times you play. but the instructions are easy enoguh and its really, really addictive once youve had a few games of experience where you learn how to go about stratgey, and what cards work best for different ways of getting victory points. Its a lot of fun.

Carcassone - each player has a color and about 7 meeples (wooden people tokens). the tiles that make the board are small cardboard squares. there are road tiles, city tiles, farm tiles, and cluster tiles. you claim the tile spots with your meeples, and upon completion of that tile spot, (completion rules are diff for each type, but im not an instruction manual so im not getting that into specific rules here as much as general way the game is played) you get victory points. The player with the most victory points when the tiles are all used up is the winner. some tiles you score immediately, others require you to finish building the city, road, cluster, or farm before you get any points.

I entered a tourney for this game and got 2nd out of 20. that bastard was so lucky! I digress though. its a really fun game.

I'll discuss a few more later when i have the time. I really enjoy playing and discussing board games. So if you're at all into them, let me know what your playing and how it generally works!
Azealdread
NinjaCrafted

Postby Azealdread » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:31 pm

I have this cards against humanity clone that allows you to play the game on the computer, in a web browser, and with freinds. I will just leave it here.
http://pyx-2.pretendyoure.xyz/zy/game.jsp
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Munchkin quest <3 but it's hard as fuck to find people to play with since it takes so damn long to play. An average game for me takes about 3 hours lol
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:47 pm

Yeah Twn it take 2-3 for our crew, only cause 2 of our peeps ARE SO SLIW AT MAKING DECISIONS! I'm a very patient man. But if you aren't even trying to think of what to do on other peoples turns and taking a literal 10 mins for your turn, 5 just to think, I just can't deal. You pick up a card and play it, and react to it.... I don't know why it takes so long to think about what to do. It's not rocket science.

I swear I'm not "that impatient guy" that plays games with friends and yells at everyone, but it's seriously inconsiderate to not even try to form a plan when it's not your turn, especially to sit doing nothing for so long on your turn..... The dude is OCD and can't even start playing a PC or console game UNTIL THE ENTIRE INSTRUCTION NANUAL IS READ FRONT TO BACK!!! Honestly, it's hard to deal with sometimes.

Azeal we def have to get that started!
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:33 pm

ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sun May 01, 2016 12:48 am

Holy shit! That flow chart........ HOT DAMN!!!!! I've played a bit more than half of these. This made me light up and smile ear to ear.

Where I used to live, we'd have board game sessions from 9p-1a, or later sometimes. All these games I recognize in your chart were introduced to me during these gatherings. They were like Thanksgiving except instead of overloading on a bounty of food, we'd vote on a bounty of board games to play next. Everyone judgement free, chill and fun to talk to, dick and semen jokes, pizza, it was a fantastic time in my life I'll never forget. The bonds made are eternal. Your flow chart is like the epitome of those times in my life :*)
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Sun May 01, 2016 12:56 am

i love overly complicated flow charts. :)
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Tue May 10, 2016 5:45 am

Bohnanza - a multiplayer bean farming game played with cards. lots of trading and bartering even when its not your turn so everyone is engaged and it doesnt get boring. 3-6 players.

I also just bought King of Tokyo - All players are monsters with certain powers. You roll dice to see how they will affect your monster for the turn - you can gain mutant power, increase your health, deal your damage, or gain power crystals which are used to use your super powers. I DID NOT READ THE RULES OR PLAY IT YET, but I watched a youtube tutorial and it seemed like this was generally how it went. Its a race for victory points as you fight to be king of tokyo or damage the shit out of the city. Victory points are rewarded for either, so you have to choose and plan accordingly. You can even grow a second head with a mutation and roll double the dice on your turn... how freakin cool is that???
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 am

I just played Kings of Tokyo for the first time, EVERYONE loved it!!! Even homies girlfriend.

3-6 people play as monsters. you roll 6 dice. each die has either a 1, 2, 3, lightning bolt, heart, claw.

you roll 3 times, and reroll whatever dice you like like yahtzee. after third roll youre stuck with whats in front of you.

a bolt gets you a cube of energy which you use to buy card power ups with, SUPER important, and we called them pubes, so that was a lot more fun.

3 of a kind with a 1 2 or 3 gets you that many victory points.

hearts refill your health up to a total of 10 unless you have more from a powerup, and you cant heal in tokyo.

Claws damage other players. players outside of tokyo only damage the player in tokyo, the player in tokyo damages all players out of tokyo.

You win by getting 20 victory points or killing all the other monsters.

in tokyo:

it starts empty. if you have a claw after the third roll, youre in tokyo and gain a victory point. now all the other players dmaage you if they have claws rolled/saved after their third roll. However if you start your turn while ur in tokyo, you gain 2 victory points.

Its a lot of balance and a lot of fun. Pretty cheap and won best family board game of 2011. its a lot of fun and you feel like a monste when you roll the dice, as they are fucking huge and crash when they are rolled. its great. all 20-30 sometrhings today, 5 of us played it for 8 hours and didnt get sick of it. I highly recommend.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:06 pm

I've played so much I can't even begin to make a list. I've been gaming since the late '70 with D&D, Chainmail, Star Frontiers and then as the "designer" tabletop games started coming out I gravitated to them as well. My favorites tend to be the old stand-by's like Catan, but I do like some of the more obscure stuff too. I had tons of fun with the Call of Cthulhu based game "The Hills Rise Wild", which is more of a miniatures based war game than a straight up board game.

I really love Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu in case anyone was confused... ;)

There's actually a good picture on Amazon of it's contents...

https://www.amazon.com/Hills-Rise-Wild-Call-Cthulhu/dp/B00146GDLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464797049&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Hills+Rise+Wild
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Sounds great! I'll put it on the purchase list. How many players and about how long per match? Is it easy to learn?
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:47 pm

If memory serves it's 2-4 players maybe? I don't have it in front of me and it's been a while. Matches can take anywhere from an hour to several hours... depending on how fast you play. It's fairly easy to learn as war game type games go. You can pretty much learn it on the go once you get the basics down because everything is on cards and reference sheets iirc.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:49 am

Oh man, a war game! I'm not sure I should grab it then.... My roommates bought me risk legacy, the 15 game campaign one where all sorts of crazy shit happens and you put stickers on the board and there's nukes n shit. Can't even talk them into playing it again after we played twice last year. They can't commit to a game that can go 2 hrs or more.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:39 pm

Yeah it's not anywhere near the kind of complexity of a flat out war game, and typically it doesn't go for more than an hour, but it definitely can... I've had games last 2-3 hour before, but that is rare. It's more akin to a game like Mageknight than say, Risk, Axis and Allies or Warhammer.
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:15 pm

Ok, I can appreciate that. Axis and Allies = 5-8 hours! Although I did play one game, I was Japan, my teammate Germany, and thanks to done fortunate dice rolling it was a first turn win!

Return to “Gaming”