Deus Ex: Best PC Game Franchise of All Time

Videogames, Tabletops, LARP - you do it, we'll talk about it.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Deus Ex: Best PC Game Franchise of All Time

Postby Feydakin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:37 pm

D E U S · E X
------------------------------------------------------

Synopsis: In a dark cyberpunk future where poverty, disease, oppression and terrorism are widespread, J.C. Denton, a new cybernetically-enhanced special agent, finds evidence of a massive conspiracy when his brother, also an agent, goes rogue.

IMDB:
Deus Ex: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286585/
Deus Ex Invisible War: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397053/
Deus Ex Human Revolution: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1319708/
Deus Ex Mankind Divided: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4614906/

Official Site(s): https://www.deusex.com/
Trailer(s):
Deus Ex:

Mankind Divided
Spoiler: show
[youtube]https://www.facebook.com/DeusEx/videos/975768275809854/[/youtube]

No, it's not a question... The first Deus Ex is the best PC game ever made. Invisible War was shit in comparison, and we don't usually acknowledge it. Human Revolution was a worthy update to the franchise and Mankind Divided looks to be even better!

Without a doubt he best mod for the original Deus Ex if you plan to play through it again (like I do every few years)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/397550/
Deus Ex Revision
Spoiler: show

/discuss ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
moonshine
190 PROOF

Postby moonshine » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Playing Deus Ex 1 on the PC was a watershed moment for me. Then invisible war came out and it wasnt great to be honest. So bad was it I totally stopped caring about the series. I got human revolution on sale and really enjoyed it except the bosses as I was doing a stealth playthrough.
But a lot of good hours have gone into these titles for me and im really looking forward to the next chapter in the story.
ImageImage
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:57 pm

Yeah, I liked Human Revolution and also played a stealth playthrough, but I just saw boss encounters as an excuse to waste all my ammo I'd save up.

And honestly, the AI tech was kinda primitive in those encounters, so I usually just used vents to hide for a moment, then pop out, cap somebody, and tuck away again. Super easy and cheap, but effective manipulation of the system is what I tell myself. xD
ImageImage
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:32 am

The good news is that they learned from Human Revolution and even patched the boss encounters, so there won't be a repeat of that in Mankind divided. That was the only bad part of HR IMO.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Thu May 26, 2016 9:38 am

How did I miss this thread? Deus Ex is probably my all-time favourite PC game. It's just spectacular in every way and I still love to play it. The music is really great and does an amazing job at immersing you in the game. The graphics were mind-blowing for me at the time, especially the use of lighting. Being able to sneak around and hide in the shadows was a real game changer. I know Thief had a similar mechanic but it simply wasn't as cool as Deus Ex. The RPG elements were just great and were perfect for someone like me who gave Baldur's Gate a chance but just couldn't help but wish it was in first-person 3D like Daggerfall was. I was completely blown away by the fact that you could choose how your conversations went and your choices actually made a real difference to the game's gameplay and storyline. Yeah, you could choose between light and dark in Jedi Knight but it was nowhere near as nuanced as this. The whole sequence at the airport where you get to speak to the head terrorist dude and then he lays this big conspiracy speech on you is one of my all-time favourite moments in gaming. The fact that having heard him out, you must then make a choice whether to believe him and switch sides or continue being a lackey for UNATCO blew my mind. I actually got to make a real choice in a game!

I'm actually around halfway through a playthrough at the moment but have left it for a few weeks. I think i'll go back to it today.

Cheers once again Ninjas.

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu May 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Newest trailer for the next installment, Mankind Divided...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUhgQ-LZCa4
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu May 26, 2016 2:27 pm

Brewtality wrote:How did I miss this thread? Deus Ex is probably my all-time favourite PC game. It's just spectacular in every way and I still love to play it. The music is really great and does an amazing job at immersing you in the game. The graphics were mind-blowing for me at the time, especially the use of lighting. Being able to sneak around and hide in the shadows was a real game changer. I know Thief had a similar mechanic but it simply wasn't as cool as Deus Ex. The RPG elements were just great and were perfect for someone like me who gave Baldur's Gate a chance but just couldn't help but wish it was in first-person 3D like Daggerfall was. I was completely blown away by the fact that you could choose how your conversations went and your choices actually made a real difference to the game's gameplay and storyline. Yeah, you could choose between light and dark in Jedi Knight but it was nowhere near as nuanced as this. The whole sequence at the airport where you get to speak to the head terrorist dude and then he lays this big conspiracy speech on you is one of my all-time favourite moments in gaming. The fact that having heard him out, you must then make a choice whether to believe him and switch sides or continue being a lackey for UNATCO blew my mind. I actually got to make a real choice in a game!

I'm actually around halfway through a playthrough at the moment but have left it for a few weeks. I think i'll go back to it today.

Cheers once again Ninjas.

I think that the fact that the subject matter, setting and general milieu of the game was squarely in my wheelhouse allowed me to try out a type of game that I normally stayed away from; FPS. Come to find out I actually enjoyed not only the setting but the way they approached the shooting. It had just enough RPG elements to keep me interested in the gameplay and the story was excellent.

Have you played Human Revolution yet? You should try it if you haven't. ;)
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Sun May 29, 2016 1:37 pm

I'd love to try it but I'm not sure how it'll run on my pc. Actually, I think I might have it on one of my hard-drives so it could be worth at least giving it a try.

I'm like you in that everything in that Deus Ex storyline was right up my alley. The conspiracy, the double-crossing, the government control, the literature, the genetic engineering, MIBs, aliens EVERYTHING. It was just bloody perfect and it still is. It's also the first game which really got me thinking strategically. Hmmm.... do I upgrade my sniper skills so I can take guards down from a distance? Maybe I upgrade the silent running augmentation or the camo so I can sneak my way through. Then again, I could always use my demolitions skill to simply blow the fuck out of everything... decisions, decisions.

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Brewtality wrote:I'd love to try it but I'm not sure how it'll run on my pc. Actually, I think I might have it on one of my hard-drives so it could be worth at least giving it a try.

It's not too horrible with the system requirements. It's a worthy successor. It doesn't take quite as deep a dive into the same conspiracy theories and stuff as the original, but it's not the steaming pile that was Invisible War either. Definitely worth a try.

Brewtality wrote:I'm like you in that everything in that Deus Ex storyline was right up my alley. The conspiracy, the double-crossing, the government control, the literature, the genetic engineering, MIBs, aliens EVERYTHING. It was just bloody perfect and it still is. It's also the first game which really got me thinking strategically. Hmmm.... do I upgrade my sniper skills so I can take guards down from a distance? Maybe I upgrade the silent running augmentation or the camo so I can sneak my way through. Then again, I could always use my demolitions skill to simply blow the fuck out of everything... decisions, decisions.

Yeah me too... when I read the box in the store I remember thinking, "if this game is half as good as this description sounds, it'll be amazing!" As it turns out the game was ten times better and it became and remains my favorite single player video gaming experience of all time... which is saying something because I've dumped probably thousands of hours into gaming over the years. ;)
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:50 pm

I got a UK magazine called PC Zone and Deus Ex was the cover feature. There was a big interview with Warren Spector inside where he talked about his ideas for video games and the concepts he's incorporated into Deus Ex. I was 14 years old and grew up on Mario, Sonic, Alex the Kid and some N64. The idea of actually making choices in a computer game sounded incredible to me. I can't really do multiplayer gaming.

Story in games is so important to me. I played the all of Duty games as they came out and I appreciated all the mad shit that goes on in those games (the rocket level in Black Ops was pretty impressive) but without a decent story to back it all up, it just felt weak. Battlefront was great. I really enjoyed playing that online and that's the first time I've done so since Star Wars: Jedi Outcast and the original Counterstrike (not great on a 56k modem), but if I'm going to spend money on a game I want a good story.

Deus Ex got me into the storyline aspect of games. Half-Life had a great mythology and I was captivated by it but its story wasn't one-fifth as deep as Deus Ex. I was so totally immersed in that game and even when I play i today it sucks me in. There are so many layers to Deus Ex which you can only uncover through multiple playthroughs. It's rare that a game can retain such replay value after 15+ years. Not a bad idea for a thread actually...

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:44 pm

One thing I will say about Deus Ex: Revision right now without spoiling anything is it changes up things like guards and guard paths and adds enough different that it won't be like every other playthrough you've done of the original game. It's totally worth playing just for that.
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:47 am

I finally watched hardcore henry.. so many parallels, i felt like, to the stroyline of this game. Curious, was hardcore henry ever a fps?
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Live stream gameplay and dev commentary for Mankind Divided here! :D
https://www.twitch.tv/deusex
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:36 pm

Not sure what this was, but the Youtube video I had here is now private so...
ImageImage
moonshine
190 PROOF

Postby moonshine » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Oh Boy! it looks sweet.
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Re: Deus Ex: Best PC Game Franchise of All Time

Postby Feydakin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:14 pm

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Launch Trailer!

I have the game pre-loaded and ready to rock for next Tuesday!
ImageImage
moonshine
190 PROOF

Postby moonshine » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:00 pm

I wish I could afford it this week but I just bought a game so i cant afford another so quick. ima save my money and gt this shit as soon as I can.
ImageImage
moonshine
190 PROOF

Postby moonshine » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:42 pm

I could afford this, this week :) So far so good i'm gonna play with stealth non lethal and i have put it on the third difficulty for a bit of a challenge. If the first level is anything to go by, I feel i'm going to love this game.
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:57 am

very cool.. i miss games. :|

moonshine
190 PROOF

Postby moonshine » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:36 pm

you should always make time for games and music. Its very important for the nerves and such.
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:04 pm

i feel that.. kind of going thru a bit of a transitional phase. so we are living out of boxes right now.. soon tho!

moonshine
190 PROOF

Postby moonshine » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:43 pm

Tried playing the Battlefield beta and all I could think of was Deus Ex... man I got the bug for some stealth.

The battlefield beta was very underwhelming, Its just like Star Wars but with a WW1 skin
ImageImage
Iroquois
the unproven

Postby Iroquois » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:47 pm

*Kratos enters the thread*

Return to “Gaming”