Steam's Library sharing (Discussion, Research)

Videogames, Tabletops, LARP - you do it, we'll talk about it.
Azealdread
NinjaCrafted

Postby Azealdread » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Steam has a nice feature that allows you to share your game library with family that live in the same household as you, or friends that live with you. All you need is to have the same range of IP addresses, and be able to see that computer on your network. If you can't do that then it should work with logging into your steam account on their computer, and allowing the share to their account via the family sharing settings.

I thought this was a good idea for my family to get more into gaming as i know my parents are mild gamers in the such that they play things like. broken sword , stardew valley , and other games. I happen have a collection of around 200 something games in mine so i decided i would share it would them.

Now with this thought i did no research on the subject and went ahead with the sharing, allowing them to play my games without purchasing them. Sadly we soon found out that after an hour or so steam will kick you out of that game with a 5 min warning. and if you can not save within that time you are Shut out anyways. This little part ticked me off as i thought this turned a feature of which allowed people who didn't like gaming all that much into gamer, or let me perhaps move the games i own around to other computers.

Advertising, it seems was the main focus of the whole project from steam, to get families to buy more games, not to share them at all.

Being the way i am, however i would not stand for that and decided to research it further as to find a bypass or a way to stop steam from closing out games or kicking people from the whole platform when they felt it was not longer advertising. While there is a number of Tech solutions to this i needed a way that someone who did not know steam at all could do it quickly. So the simple solution was this.

1: enable steam family sharing by logging into said persons computer.
2: download the game and install it.
3: run the game once and close it, once it boots up.
4: Re-log into steam in offline mode and launch the game.

If the final steam does not work you may have to find the game folder and launch it from the games direct exe, however you will still need steam in offline mode.

After all that they could play to their hearts content, without being in steams "free trail" limit and upon further research i also found that you can share steam accounts without them being in the same house hold. I have yet to try this though and perhaps will after finding someone i trust enough to do it over the web.

I will check back in after i figure this out more, but for now have fun! and remember...everything is free if you try hard enough. ^-^
AliceElite
//wrestles darkness...WINS!

Postby AliceElite » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:32 pm

Oh my god I love you. I LOVE YOU. This is beautiful. You're a joy.
Tornsanity
the unproven

Postby Tornsanity » Mon May 02, 2016 4:45 pm

It works for people who don't live in the same household. I'm sharing with a friend who doesn't even live in the same state. The only thing is you can't play their games while they are logged in. Also sometimes you can't access their library, but that usually works itself out for me.

Return to “Gaming”