The Lost "Elder Scrolls" for PSP

Videogames, Tabletops, LARP - you do it, we'll talk about it.
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Tue May 17, 2016 6:15 pm

So, my very good friend just informed me of this article, which discusses a game which was being created by Bethesda, which happened to be an extension of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for the Sony PSP. It actually looks like they did a pretty damn good job designing it for what it was, but due to lack of funding and lack of major public interest in the PSP, they ended up canning the project entirely. However, some people have gotten their hands on early builds and are trying to find more to fuse together in a sort of preservation method, to keep the art that is the game intact as a part of gaming history. The group who is working on preserving it is a YouTube channel called PtoPOnline (Past to Present, not Peer to Peer).

The article my friend sent me is here

With some gameplay footage linked to here

And a few gif's if you are too lazy or hate sounds and non-infinitely-repeating mediums

So, couple questions: If they completed this game while the PSP was still young, do you think it would have given the PSP a fighting chance as a system? And, what's your favorite Elder Scrolls game, or if not Elder Scrolls then Bethesda in general?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Wed May 18, 2016 4:24 am

I never understood why the psp did so poorly. There were a couple of gems for it.

But if this came out and was actually good it could have been just the push the psp needed.
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Wed May 18, 2016 6:53 am

Two words as to why the DS way outsold the PSP: Pokemon, Zelda.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed May 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Oh man. I've never played a PSP but I have an emulator on my PC so I could play the Metal Gear games. The first time I ever played an Elder Scrolls game was when I was around at my friend's house and we played 'Daggerfall'. His computer was so amazing because it had sVGA graphics instead of just VGA. Man, the resolution must have been at least 320 x 240. Unreal at the time! The thing I remember the most is being able to break into someone's house and steal their shit. I mean, you couldn't do that in Super Mario Bros.or Duck Hunt or Monkey Island. That game was groundbreaking for me.

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed May 18, 2016 11:34 pm

Yeah I saw that article, interesting, but I'm not really a console/handheld guy so it's more academic than something I'd want to play really...

Also, I've been playing Elder Scrolls games so much over my life I'm kind of over it at this point... I mean christ I must have a thousand hours in Elder Scrolls games over the years, for real. :D
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage

Return to “Gaming”