ADC - After-Death Communication

Spirituality. The Paranormal. Theology. Let's delve into the strange, the uplifting, the supernatural with tolerance and open minds...
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:50 pm

An After-Death Communication (ADC) is a spiritual experience, which occurs when you are contacted directly and spontaneously by a deceased family member or friend, without the use of psychics, mediums, rituals, or devices of any kind. It's estimated that 60-120 million Americans - 20-40% of the population of the United States - have had one or more ADC experiences. Therefore, ADCs provide convincing new evidence for life after death.

The ADC Project was created in May, 1988 to conduct the first in-depth research of After-Death Communications. The founders, Bill Guggenheim and Judy Guggenheim, interviewed 2,000 people who live in all 50 American states and the 10 Canadian provinces. They collected more than 3,300 firsthand accounts from people who believe they have been contacted by a loved one who had died.

http://www.after-death.com/

Have you been contacted by a loved one who has died? An after-death communication (ADC) is defined as an experience occurring when a person is contacted directly and spontaneously by a loved one who has died. ADCs are probably as old as human history and may explain why ancient cavemen buried their dead in ways suggesting they were aware of their afterlife. However, the Guggenheim's study of ADCs during the twentieth century is the first complete study and analysis of this phenomenon. ADCs are extremely common all over the world and are discussed openly and freely. Between 1988 and 1995, the Guggenheim's interviewed 2,000 people from all over the U.S. and Canada, ranging in age from children to the elderly, who experienced an ADC. They came from diverse educational, social, economic, religious, occupational backgrounds. The Guggenheim's conservative estimate is that at least 50 million Americans (or 20% of the population) have had one or more ADC experiences. In their study, they collected more than 3,300 firsthand accounts of ADCs from people who spontaneously and directly had such communications. No third parties such as hypnotists, psychics, mediums, or devices of any kind were involved.

After-Death Communications Research of Bill and Judy Guggenheim
http://www.near-death.com/paranormal/after-death/guggenheims-research.html
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Fri May 06, 2016 8:53 am

I once had a conversation with my recently deceased grandmother who was sitting at the end of my bed, but I'm sure it was just a dream.

Sadly, I think ADCs are a psychosomatic phenomenon. Our brains are always making stuff up or misidentifying things all of the time. Whenever I was having an argument with my girlfriend, I would hear 'Good Vibrations' by the Beach Boys all the time because that was the ringtone I used for her. However, my phone was never ringing, it was just an auditory hallucination. After breaking up with that same girlfriend, I used to smell her perfume at random times. She was very much alive and well.

Humans are very good at picking up patterns in nature. Our ability to recognise patterns is what allows us to think about the future and plan ahead. It is also something which plays tricks on us. How many times do we see faces in random patterns? People find Jesus in all sorts of things, but it's just down to the fact that our brains are programmed to recognise other human faces and so we often see them where there are one. The same goes for the human form in general which is why trees and shadows are often mistaken for people. The Guggenheims may well have found 3000 people who say they have experience of ADCs but unfortunately, that's not very reliable evidence. Between 30,000 - 100,000 people in Portugal 'witnessed' the Miracle of Sun in 1917. But there was no miracle, despite what the eyewitnesses and believers said. They were told there was going to be a miracle and they believed there was going to be one, so they saw one.

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri May 06, 2016 11:52 pm

completely logical response. i just don't believe we know as much as we think we do, and i suppose it will always be between the folks who have experiences and explore them vs talk themselves into a rational explanation even when in reality there isn't one. not everything that people see is a result of pareidolia (the term used to describe the mind's propensity to see faces in things, etc) or apophenia (seeing connections and meaning in things that are usually unrelated). guess i've experienced enough to sway the skeptic in me a little more into mostly believing some of these things are possible.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat May 07, 2016 12:05 am

i also am however a firm believer in the power of suggestion, mob mentality, and mass hysteria, which HAS been demonstrated over & over.

BUT if there is some kind of mis-firing and what we think is a "spirit" is just brain chemistry...how does this still negate the possibility of survival after death, or other "paranormal" occurences? proving one thing happens does not disprove the rest in this case.
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Sat May 07, 2016 7:26 am

Well I'd be interested to read of any suggestion of how one would see a ghost or spirit. What are they made of? What is it that is interacting with the light, allowing it to bounce off them and react with your retinas?

No doubt there's more out there than we understand but when I see things just being attributed to old ideas like ghosts and whatnot, I just think that's a bit of a lazy mental shortcut. You say that no everything people see is the result of your mind misreading things but how do you know that? What's the evidence? Perhaps you see more because you believe more? Anything is possible, but that doesn't mean that anything is plausible.

For me, it's the same kind of 'logic' which leads people to say 'who made the universe?' and then use the fact that nobody can give an answer as some kind of proof that God did everything and then sent himself in the form of a human to be tortured to death so he could allow himself to forgive people for shit they didn't do.

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat May 07, 2016 3:58 pm

i just think our understanding of things isn't there yet. so it turns into yes, pretty much the same debate over whether or not there is a "god". but i say again - not having measurable proof something exists does not at the same time disprove its existence. that is also a type of faulty logic...a laziness. i think there is so much that our scientific knowledge has yet to uncover...so much that we don't have the tools to even see or measure yet....so much that we don't have the language to describe. so we are left with silly words like "ghosts" and "spirits" that make believers in something else sound like ridiculous superstitious lunatics.

consider how our brains aren't even being utilized to the fullest. we don't even truly understand how they entirely work. i'm of the thought that perhaps there are avenues of perception that some folks can pick up on more than others, perhaps coming from these typically untapped regions of our minds we've yet to comprehend.

on a personal note, belief actually didnt come first. experience did. getting a voice on a recorder that was not mine that provided a relevant intelligent response to what i said happened first. totally filpped me over. that's not my brain mis-firing. so you can't always assume that because someone might believe in more means they automatically experience more. for me, it was the total opposite. always been more of a Scully than Mulder, but over the years as stuff occurred and i learned more, the two evened out more. ;)

in fact, for years i was of the belief that most if not all "ghost" sightings were the result of electromagnetic disruptions. a lot of supposedly haunted locations sit on foundations of granite which gives off an electromagnetic field that can interfere with our brains and can even cause hallucinations. i still don't discount this, but i also just cannot wipe the slate and say people don't sometimes actually see these things.

it's like the same rule that gets applied to UFO sightings. i sit with the idea that 95% are explainable, 5% are not...
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Sat May 07, 2016 7:43 pm

I'm not too far off you t be honest. I mean, my avatar and signature are both the work of the visionary artist Alex Grey who is very much in the 'extra-reality' camp. I'm fascinated by that which we cannot currently explain. I've had some very interesting experiences on psylocibin and DMT which have left me with absolutely no doubt that there is so much out there and within us that in unexplained and possibly unexplainable. The nature of reality is a mystery. I'm very intrigued by the idea of the universality of life and the interconnectedness of all matter and my own personal experiences have informed in such a way as to lean ver closely to Carl Jung's ideas of the collective unconscious.

However, I just can't get on board with things like the research you posted. Of course bereaved people are going to see and hear their deceased loved ones. I don't know about anyone else but whenever I've broken up with someone, I see them everywhere for a while. The entirety of your experience of the world has taken place within your head and your mind is a powerful thing.

I'm going to try not to go off-topic but my apologies if I do a bit. It's my opinion that human beings in general are far too egocentric when it comes to thinking about the world. This is borne out with a lot of different religious ideas regarding the importance of humanity. For Christians, God made himself flesh in the form of a human. Numerous religions have creations myths which centre around human or humanoid protagonists. I see ghosts/spirits as being a manifestation of that same human-centric thinking. How many times do you hear about people seeing ghost wasps or slugs or parrots or chimpanzees? What makes humanity so special? Why should we be the ones haunting places or leaving messages on people's recorders or throwing pots and pans around the kitchen?

I'm open to the idea that we still have so much to learn. However, I think it's a big leap going from believing that there are things that we don't understand yet to believing in something which actively goes against absolutely everything which the human race has managed to figure out thorough mathematics, philosophy and science.

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat May 07, 2016 9:49 pm

you've never heard of animal hauntings? ghost cats? ah dude....yeah man, people claim to see their dead pets.
but again, pretty egocentric. where are the ghost tigers and ghost sharks? :D

i'll add more in a bit...out the door...but i'm loving this conversation!
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Sun May 08, 2016 6:20 am

Me too :)

Well, I have heard about people seeing their dead pets but yea, it seems like that may be down to wanting to see them. How about ghost prehistoric humans? I don't know of anyone seeing ghostly Australopithecines knocking about.

Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:17 pm

My son swears he sees my dad at times but the way he describes it he sees him standing somewhere out of his peripheral and when he looks dead on he's gone. I've heard about kids being more susceptible to the unexplained but they also have more of an imagination. I don't know what to believe. I've never seen anything in my life and I lived in an old funeral home before
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:43 am

My nephew is 11, when he was younger he described my papaw to a T. He had never seen the man, he had passed before he was born and never saw a photo of him (he was in his 70s, from Eastern KY, there just was not a lot of pictures of him). It freaked out my dad and my mom.

He said that he talked with him and that one day he and my nephew would one day go fishing...

I know that my dad after he had a major heart attack at 42 describe people at his bedside, there was no one. They said that it was not his time, that they would take him when it was. A few days before he passed from complications from cancer, he said that he has seen the same people, they were members of his family that had long passed (I did not know them). He had a great few days before he went, he was happy and moving around. I wish that could have been my final memory instead of the one that I do have, but I tend to think back when to the days before he passed and how happy he was. He said that he was going to Heaven. I am not a religious person by any means, but I believe him when he said it.

I think that if you are in tune into that type of stuff, that you can see and hear things that others can not. I think a lot of people may get that way when they die. It could be a coping mechanism, I do not know. I like to think that my dad and his dad went into the welcoming arms of our family.

Return to “The Unexplained”