What Does GOD Mean to You?

Spirituality. The Paranormal. Theology. Let's delve into the strange, the uplifting, the supernatural with tolerance and open minds...
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat May 07, 2016 7:25 pm

i come from a divorced home at 3 years old, so things got pretty weird when it came to being introduced to the concept of "god". i grew up as a baptized Catholic on my mom's side of the family, and every other weekend would be tossed into a Pentecostal church on dad's. that meant a lot of kneeling and quiet time, and then a lot of singing, and watching people falling in the floor and speaking tongues. those two universes couldn't be more shizo-different, so once i got old enough to understand better that none of that was for me, i started looking in to other options. i mean, like, almost ALL of them. i became a bit of a theology nut, then started researching older, more pagan belief systems, as well as magic. i used to try to cast spells in the sand on the playground during recess. i've practiced Dakota Sioux. i love to explore all of these beliefs, but none of it *really* helped me to understand a concept of GOD. that is, until i started learning more about science.

it was astronomy and physics that did me in. as i learned more about how particles behave, how the solar system formed, and tried to wrap my head around quantum mechanics...THAT is what caused me to TRULY contemplate a higher power of some kind.

to me, at this point in time, i see the concept of god as a universal mind or consciousness that exists outside of time and space, permeating everything, and binding the whole of it all together.

of course, i have many more thoughts on this, but want to see more of what others think before i keep going. :)

so, what does "god" mean to you???

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A DEBATE. this is a space to simply share your personal thoughts, beliefs, musings, etc on what the concept of a higher power means to YOU. bashing, arguing, etc will NOT be tolerated in this space. please take it to C&D if you want to debate religion.
Zombie
Wizard Behind The Curtain

Postby Zombie » Tue May 10, 2016 4:31 pm

God is not in my immediate thoughts through the day, to me God is something like connection of different energies that run through individuals, it's that feeling of coincidence and unexplained WTF wether good or bad.. It's In the background of my life and sometimes I bump into it now an again.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue May 17, 2016 8:56 pm

oh i like that a lot...i feel similarly in regards to synchronicity. that's one of the other things i was going to bring up. i love when the universe seems to be speaking directly to you...making you feel connected to everything and everyone. that definitely makes me consider the concept of god. just not in a "single entity" kind of way but in the interconnection of all kinda way.
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Re: What Does GOD Mean to You?

Postby cerrodepedro » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:46 pm

NaranjaRa wrote:i used to try to cast spells in the sand on the playground during recess.

OMG you are the coolest and that is so endearing and wonderful and adorable.

Zombie wrote:God is something like connection of different energies that run through individuals

This is actually about as far as my spiritual excitement extends. It's why I think I still get eerie but sublime and pleasant feelings around big trees.

Mormonism pushed a VERY literal set of beliefs, most often guided by some varying amalgam of fear and wonder: Literal, physical god with lots of children who either get deified or cast into existential eternal depression, Jesus being the principal among them, who, by the way, showed the greatest example by caving to his dad's weird, sado-masochistic need to experience justice through a process of torturing his own literal son to the extent that the torture would be equal to all the suffering of mankind in a very literal sense. The epitome of Mormonism is self sacrifice, which usually just manifests itself in manipulative martyrs running around whining to each other about how they can find the best way to martyr themselves, be it psychologically or emotionally or physically, next.

There wasn't much room for a syncretic cosmology, something that allowed for a lot of beliefs to coalesce. They all had to eventually fall subservient to Mormonism. After all, none of them could boast a true, physical, in-person meeting with Father and Son, including a brawl between Satan and Holy Ghost that manifested itself as something like an anxiety attack.

And because of how binding and literal and superior this whole set of moderately cohesive beliefs are made when drilling themselves into vulnerable brains, FEAR is what governs. You REALLY believe that the afterlife is a literal place. You believe that whatever sins you forgot to figure out are going to come back and be atoned for either in physical or mental anguish. Basically you're going to be publicly tortured if you didn't adequately access the Jesus sacrificial goat. And if you didn't dot all your I's and cross all your T's, you get to live in a really comfortable place with all physical needs attended, but be wracked eternally by depression.

My friend put it succinctly, and I actually decided to record it in the forum first as a way to actually preserve what they said, but also as a way to draw them in here (Mormonism made me GREAT at recruiting people to odd social phenomena!):

cerrodepedro's friend wrote:I used to say when I was a kid - to explain to my parents my confusion with the church - it's like a mother placing her newborn infant in the middle of an isolated forest and then leaving thousands of miles away and telling that infant to find its way back to her with no map, no hints, no guidance... and then if that infant doesn't find her right away, it goes to a place where it will be burned alive.

Anyhow, thanks, NaranjaRa for making this topic.
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:29 pm

cerrodepedro wrote:
cerrodepedro's friend wrote:I used to say when I was a kid - to explain to my parents my confusion with the church - it's like a mother placing her newborn infant in the middle of an isolated forest and then leaving thousands of miles away and telling that infant to find its way back to her with no map, no hints, no guidance... and then if that infant doesn't find her right away, it goes to a place where it will be burned alive.

^ THAT. wow, yeah pretty much sums up the reason why i was never able to subscribe to any of the "standard" "Christian" dogma(s) out there. much of the time they make god almost seem to be schizophrenic!

thank you for joining the discussion...so happy to learn about how others see it all!
ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.

Postby ghostdogg » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:01 am

pigspigs76 wrote:god is the conversation

the voiace in landguage as it is said

legend is definitely next up! /ninjablack

Return to “The Unexplained”