Get to know each other: Where be the multi lingual ninjas?

More laid back off-topic than Culture & Debate... This section is for the mundane, the funny, and the interesting.
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Wed May 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Hey let's brag about ourselves a bit! Also given that multilingualism can be so exciting when it comes to contributing to a community and promoting cultural relativism and such, I'd like to know about what resources we have in this regard!

English is the first language, Spanish the second, Portuguese at a toddler level, and in K'iche' I can talk about coffee and corn and chickens. How's that for laying down the intellectually masturbatory gauntlet?
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
Zombie
Wizard Behind The Curtain

Postby Zombie » Thu May 19, 2016 12:24 am

This is pretty cool but just reminds me of my ignorant ways of not truly learning anything other than English .. All I have in my lingual tool belt is a couple phrases in French , German and Arabic.
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Thu May 19, 2016 12:39 am

I can speak English, Hillbilly, Southern, Appalachian, and I can generally understand those from Harkers Island.

Granted I have taken Spanish from K to 6th grade, then two semesters in high school and the required two semesters in college. I still can not speak Spanish. I learned enough to pass; I remember more German from my failed attempt at learning that one semester in college.

I just live in an area where one does not need to speak a second language nor is there is place to practice it.
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Thu May 19, 2016 12:55 am

I believe that phrases that diffuse their way out of being confined to just their mother land go a long way, especially when left untranslated, as they're permitted to kind of take on their own meanings, so, um, don't feel limited by non-fluency!
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
Zombie
Wizard Behind The Curtain

Postby Zombie » Thu May 19, 2016 7:12 am

I've always thought .. As and adult anyway that if we all were raised to speak as many languages as possible the world would be a very different place.. to truly understand one another and their true perspective not just a translated version would do wonders
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Thu May 19, 2016 7:54 am

English is my main language, Spanish is my second although I'm nowhere near as fluent as I was when I lived there. I could get by in Arabic back in the Middle East and now I'm learning Kiswahili. I can understand quite of a bit of Italian, German and French but get lost often because of only having a limited vocabulary. I really love learning languages but don't put enough time into learning them or practising them.

Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Fri May 20, 2016 11:12 am

English is my main language but in my city there's a large Hispanic community so I know enough to understand when someone speaks Spanish to me but I always respond in English
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
BigMush
Drunkin Beta Style

Postby BigMush » Fri May 20, 2016 12:05 pm

Swedish is my main language, and english my second. Apparently, my speech is so american, that russian people online call me "american dog" ^_^ I take pride in that.

I also know tourist level japanese, but waaay too little to be proud of..
**Awesome Singnature**

ImageImageImageImageImage

Manhal
ninja with training wheels

Re: Get to know each other: Where be the multi lingual ninjas?

Postby Manhal » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:04 am

I speak English as a first language, but I learned Arabic and French first as a child. So, I've recently gotten a bit of a boost, and I'm better now with my Arabic, and I can read and write now.
For French I can read and understand somewhat, not write effectively.
Most comfortable with English.

Spent the better part of last year in Dubai, teaching, lots of arabic in the UAE, and many other languages (Bangladeshi, Hindi, Farsi, Urdu), you get to know a whole other side of yourself immersed in another kind of culture by yourself. So different from Canadian culture, and although I had family there, I was kind of like an alien to them sometimes. Just speaking the language didn't translate into being able to transcend being, well, foreign.
Much love to my Canadian people.
I am only here a short time. Inshalla khair :) I love you all.

Return to “Random”