Hurricane Matthew - Don't Come a Knockin' If The Trailer is Rockin'

More laid back off-topic than Culture & Debate... This section is for the mundane, the funny, and the interesting.
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Hurricane Matthew - Don't Come a Knockin' If The Trailer is Rockin'

Postby Skywalker » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:04 pm

Well..

It has hit.. for the most part. The winds are a little worrisome, cause the mobile home is rocking. Here is to hoping the straps will hold. The trampoline the 200+ mistake from early the summer if flipped over, and tied down. No need for it to do damage to someone stuff.

Now the funny part is, two cats are chill, they do not care. One cat is sleeping on my dresser, the younger one wants to get the fuck out. He is jonesing to get outside. Not sure where it wants to go, but inside is not a safe option for him at this time.

The lights started to flicker a few hours ago. The power lines where I live at are underground, they are still above ground at the main highway. This can be an issue, as some of the lines are owned by Duke Power, the others owned by small energy co-op.

So far so good... and I <3 Netflix!
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Re: Hurricane Matthew - Don't Come a Knockin' If The Trailer is Rockin'

Postby ink » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:12 pm

word! hold it down.. literal! hope it passes smoothly, without incident.

aaand woooohooooo netflix! /rotfl
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:28 pm

Glad to hear you're safe
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:56 pm

Hope you're okay! Not to make light of things but I thought this was pretty glorious (JUST WATCH THE VIDEO. NO FACEBOOKING AFTER WATCHING IT, OR THE NINJA FAIRY WILL COME AND DECAPITATE YOU):

https://www.facebook.com/lane.pittman/videos/10153984485731724/
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:53 pm

:lawl:

Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:29 am

cerrodepedro wrote:Hope you're okay! Not to make light of things but I thought this was pretty glorious (JUST WATCH THE VIDEO. NO FACEBOOKING AFTER WATCHING IT, OR THE NINJA FAIRY WILL COME AND DECAPITATE YOU):

Hahaha.. :lawl: :lawl: :lawl: :lawl: :lawl:

If it was daylight, I'd do something like that and post it! Alas it is dark.

Lost power for a few minutes, but then they came back on. So Thankful for that.. but t is still early. If all else fails, then an early bedtime for myself...

I did venture out, the roads are going under. Me and my older sister forgot ice, cause we are dumb.... just in case.. cause you never know.

We are currently getting the worst of it at night. I hate when they hit at night.. /chicken
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:18 am

:( Very unsettling.
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:51 am

people lose interest once the storm's tropical properties fade or it goes out to sea, forgetting it's the water they bring that do the most damage and gets felt for long periods of time after.

that said, im on the eastern shore of MD
it just rained lightly all day yesterday but now it's coming down and already flooding & leaking again here in our place. at least we figured out where the water is coming from, and we now have a pump installed in the basement to hopefully get it out before it's time to grab the kayak to do some laundry

literally 3 days after last weekend's flooding was finally cleaned up for the most part...there was even a dry-patch starting to form downstairs!
ah, nature
just as long as the power/air/hot water don't go out...AGAIN /62
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:24 am

Hey...

I just got power. I am very lucky, cause many do not have power right now. The schools are closed because a few of them it will take days before the power is turned back on. Me and my mom watched a power-sub-station blow up last night, then we saw transformers starting to go. We had just lost power before it happened. The power company came and checked on us and others in my neighborhood to make sure that there were no down power lines and that all the power lines to the mobile homes were still good. Since they were underground, there was no issue. Duke Power is having problems turning on the power, even though they killed the power about 10pm last night to save their electrical grid. The small co-op that I get power from never turned they are off and worked up until they could not see to keep the power on, they are great folks!

There was not a lot of damage, lost some under-pending (that the landlord will now have to replace). I helped tape up plexiglass to a broken window in my next door neighbor's house. We are not sure if she has family or not, but we tend to look in at her from time to time. She is very sweet, has two really cute kittens.

I did gain a new chair and trash can (someone lost them).

The only bad part is, we lost all the food in our fridge. We had ice, but the food started to thaw out and well... I live in the south, it was somewhat hot last night... With no power, milk was trying to turn into cheese, the cheese was working on its own culture, the meat I think I heard a chicken in the icebox.

I think I am kind of pissed off at National Hurricane Center and the Weather Channel for stating over and over again, that it would not do anything to North Carolina. So no one was prepared for it. Parts of the state is currently flooding, it worse than Floyd in some places in terms of flooding. People today was struggling to find food that they could eat, since a lot of places lost power Walmart, Food Lion, and Piggy Wiggly lost their perishable food. I understand that other places were hit just as hard, if not harder. I think that Gov'ner on this one lost the ball and did not do anything to save folks on the coast or even inland with the flooding.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:26 pm

wow that really sucks. it's always either too much or too little with these storms. but then really, how can anyone really know? hurricanes have even been seen to hit land, go back to sea, circle back and hit again, and do all kinds of whacky maneuvers.

glad you have power but yeah, sorry about your food and subsequent science experiments it's created. bonus on the new stuff though :-D

sun is shining but it's cold here now. like Matthew brought winter all of a sudden.

kitchen sink has been gurgling and sounding like low thunder for more than 24hrs now. but i haven't looked in the basement since the rain started. we luckily DID finally verify the source of all our flooding though! there is a pipe by the laundry area that was literally just GUSHING water out around the sides of the thing, so we might be able to finally get it fixed and stop the water from coming in EVERY TIME IT RAINS for good! i mean, it's been going on for a long time since everything down there was already put up on blocks before we moved in last Oct., but we didn't know about it until this spring when the rain started getting heavy. i guess the old couple who lived here before us just put up with it.

guess i'll go see if the pump worked or if we have a couple feet down there...AGAIN...lol
Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:44 pm

cerrodepedro wrote:Hope you're okay! Not to make light of things but I thought this was pretty glorious (JUST WATCH THE VIDEO. NO FACEBOOKING AFTER WATCHING IT, OR THE NINJA FAIRY WILL COME AND DECAPITATE YOU):

Love this video. Slayer was definitely a good choice. If you can't do much else, rock out until it blows over
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:56 pm

Philly wrote:

Love this video. Slayer was definitely a good choice. If you can't do much else, rock out until it blows over

i just think it's weird that you guys don't feel like this & get out to do it EVERY day. i mean, i do...but you guys don't?!? /rock :giggle:
Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:53 pm

NaranjaRa wrote:
Philly wrote:

i just think it's weird that you guys don't feel like this & get out to do it EVERY day. i mean, i do...but you guys don't?!? /rock :giggle:

I blast slayer quite regularly but I haven't done it in a hurricane
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:49 pm

during storms i usually like to ride around my neighborhood blasting Mr. Bungle, with a giant American flag out each window, hoking my car horn repeatedly and screaming "USA USA USA"!!!

but i guess that's just me...

:giggle:
Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:39 pm

Garbage's only happy when it rains might be a good one too
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:04 pm

Finally caught up with my school work... YaY
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:55 pm

nice

cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:11 am

This reminds me of the typhoon parties we'd go to in Japan, all huddled up with a bunch of my dad's work and diving friends.
Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:37 am

Typhoon parties? Sounds cool
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:42 am

I'm glad our Ninja's are safe, despite some water damage and annoying power losses.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:04 pm

Hurricane parties can be epic.
Image Image
est 1953

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:31 pm

i LOVE a storm party! snow or hurricanes...bring it on. there's something super cozy about being hunkered in with your peeps watching it all go to hell outside. a lot of times if they're calling for one to hit us bad, we have friends about 30mins away at the beach who will come stay with us. so it really just automatically turns into a fun time at that point.

the only part i don't enjoy is afterwards...especially with snow...if you get stuck inside for too long. but that doesn't happen much where i live. we rarely get big snow storms.

Return to “Random”