First IRL memories, EVER!!!!

More laid back off-topic than Culture & Debate... This section is for the mundane, the funny, and the interesting.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:00 am

I remember lots..... I remember being in a blue stroller with a rainbow strap going to a museum (too early to walk),

I remember whispering gibberish in my sisters ear and she's translate for me when I was too young to talk well.

I remember being in a playpen, and my mom hid soda cans underneath it and my sister always drank it so I wanted some.

I remember crying cause I didn't know how to get it and couldn't talk properly to ask for it. I had to be 3 or so? I kept running into the side of the playpen netting wall til it fell over then I picked up the can and kept putting it in my mouth cause I didn't understand how to open it. So I kept bouncing it off the floor and putting it in my mouth and started crying out of frustration.

I remember getting my dog for Christmas when she poked her head out of the stocking when I was just over 2.

I remember a lot about preschool and 1-6th grade as well. I can tell you a lot more about preschool days.

Done of my friends say I'm a lying asshole but I swear on everything I have that I'm not lying. What are your earliest memories in life???
Azealdread
NinjaCrafted

Postby Azealdread » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:49 am

I remember when i was a baby i was knocking over trash cans and digging through them, and would growl at people who tried to stop me XD Its how i got the nick names goat and lion i suppose
BigMush
Drunkin Beta Style

Postby BigMush » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:19 am

I remember falling in the ocean as a young kid. I was with my gerandparents at their boat, and i took a bad step and fell in. Had a life jacket, and i remember not beeing scared.
**Awesome Singnature**

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:51 am

Wow, my memory is so horrible, I barely remember being a teen... Y'all make me jealous
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Hard to know which memory is first- cold feet in the bed and my grand rubbing them warm, smiling at Billy Across the street and he was a toddler so I must have been, my 3rd birthday and the southern bell cake with a really ugly dolly in the middle, ridding in the Nash-rambler with my uncle and cousins to pick up my aunt and the new baby cousin, my bangs in a bonnet the easter I was two, watching my mother with a red suitcase smoking and thinking on granny's porch, my pet rabbit, wiggling blue baby chicks in my hands, putting that Easter bonnet on my dog when he was a puppy, being lifted onto a pony, talking to birds, eating watermelon with it running all over my face, my father crying, riding my little red trike, walking and touching the wall for balance... I am under 3 in all of these memories.
Image Image
est 1953

girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:16 pm

I remember carrying a little Mickey Mouse doll with me everywhere we went. I cried for days when I dropped it in the grocery store somewhere and my Mom couldn't find it. I was probably still in diapers at the time.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:52 pm

My first memory was when St. Helen's erupted. I was two and ironically lived on St. Hellens Street in Washington. I remember being in my stroller walking to 7/11 with my Mom and sister. I think the only reason I remember this part is because they were scared and I had no idea why. Later It was dark. We got into my Dad's big yellow Bronco and I was crying. They removed my medical face mask for a moment to give me my Binki and then put it back on.

Apparently it was still daytime and we drove South into Oregon somewhere because it was dangerous for people to breathe in all of the ash. Especially children and the elderly. I don't remember being scared, just crying because everyone else was freaking out.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:35 pm

I'm loving this thread! I was telling my friends I wasn't bulls hitting, which they insisted on!
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:27 pm

/bump

Surely y'all remember something...
Image Image
Candeeoke
The Quiet Storm

Postby Candeeoke » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:34 pm

my earliest memories are from around 8 yrs old. Although if I look at pictures of myself but younger I often can recall that moment.
ImageImage
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:56 pm

OH I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!
i had a wild experience with this topic, too.

my earliest memory is being held in someone's arms...i remember a lot of red...and faces looking down at me as i looked up at them...and my grandfather especially...i think he held me, too.

basically, i remember being a baby swaddled and cuddled by my family. o_O

and i've held this memory for so long through my life, i started to disbelieve it. i started to doubt it was actually a memory and just figured that it was a dream. and this is simply because from what i've read from the world of psychology, we aren't supposed to even be able to retain memories from when we were literally babies. if i remember correctly, we usually do not remember anything prior to the age of around 6 or so.

so get this:

my dad pulls out some home movies one day and there is this scene that unfolds in my grandparents' living room.
my aunt is seen holding me as a newborn...
she is wearing a red sweater...
other relatives walk up to peek at me in my blankie...
and then my aunt passes me to my grandfather's arms.

O_O the moment of my first memory was captured on film by my father when it happened.

HOW INCREDIBLE IS THAT!!?!?!?? :)
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 pm

My earliest memory is downright crazy early. I remember sitting in something, a car seat maybe in an office, it was at night. I could see out the office door was a long bar with lights, and outside the window I watched planes land and take off, and the landing lights were slowly strobing down the line...

When I told my dad about this and asked him when it could be from, he said I couldn't possibly remember that because it was when I was still an infant. Months old at most. He used to take me to work with him and kept me on a chair next to his his desk.

I have flashes of memories after that too, but that one is probably the earliest. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 pm

NaranjaRa wrote:OH I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!
i had a wild experience with this topic, too.

my earliest memory is being held in someone's arms...i remember a lot of red...and faces looking down at me as i looked up at them...and my grandfather especially...i think he held me, too.

basically, i remember being a baby swaddled and cuddled by my family. o_O

and i've held this memory for so long through my life, i started to disbelieve it. i started to doubt it was actually a memory and just figured that it was a dream. and this is simply because from what i've read from the world of psychology, we aren't supposed to even be able to retain memories from when we were literally babies. if i remember correctly, we usually do not remember anything prior to the age of around 6 or so.

so get this:

my dad pulls out some home movies one day and there is this scene that unfolds in my grandparents' living room.
my aunt is seen holding me as a newborn...
she is wearing a red sweater...
other relatives walk up to peek at me in my blankie...
and then my aunt passes me to my grandfather's arms.

O_O the moment of my first memory was captured on film by my father when it happened.

HOW INCREDIBLE IS THAT!!?!?!?? :)

Wow. That is truly amazing! I know I have some vague memories from before age 6, but they tend to be triggered, and then just as quickly fade away again.

I remember being a baby in the tub and my grandma scrubbing me behind the ears so hard...with one of those old, nubby, scratchy washcloths, and I was crying because it hurt. I was a baby, not a potato! :|
Image Image
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:22 pm

Ha (potato baby). I think my first memory (at 2) was only because of the panic. I don't remember anything else until my brother was born and I was 3 1/2, even then it was a really strong emotion (love/happiness this time). Then very little until kindergarten. I absolutely think memories can stay with you from much earlier then 5 or 6.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:26 pm

yeah the psychologists are totally wrong on that notion

and wow, because i don't often come across another person who remembers being a baby...and here are several!
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:33 pm

My next most vivid early memory is from 1973, when I snuck down on night and watched the TV movie "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" from the stairwell while my parents were watching it. I was three years old and it literally scarred me for my entire early childhood. I had terrifying nightmares about that movie for years and years... it was awesome, and probably the start of my fascination with scary movies. ;)

[spoiler=Trailer]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz3dB0z08vs
[/spoiler]
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:58 am

I'm glad this thread is getting some love. CRAZY how far back some of these go! I also remember my first watermark experience when I was 5. Someobevthoughtbit was a good idea for me to go down a water slide that was all one big tunnel with a ton of twists and corkscrews on the back of their double raft. My sister was an AWESOME swimmer - 4 years older than me. I was not, but I liked water. Anyway, I guess I wasn't hold on tight enough or we just hit a corkscrew and I fell right the fuck out, mid ride down.

Now, you'd THINK that the peeps in charge would say "2 coming down on a double" to the lifeguards on bottom, and they wait to make sure everyone comes down before sending other people. NOPE! NOPE INFUCKINGDEED! When I slipped/bumped out/off of the double raft, there went all my momentum and now I had friction from being stopped and my bathing suit, since it wasn't a straight slide and had a bunch of twists and turns.

I remember thinking, "Well, just slide on your stomach" So I started crawling, army mud style. Of course, other tubers went right the fuck over me cause I was so small. It didn't hurt one bit, but at this point I knew I was in survival mode. It took me several minutes to crawl down, until I hit the part where the slide went straight. I tumbled down that (like doing a forward roll) over and over til I unexpectedly splashed into the deep (for a 5 year old) like a turd in the toilet. I looked up from under water. I saw my family waiting for me looking all around. They did not fucking see me go in at all. I remember my sister pointing and screaming "HES RIGHT THERE!" To the lifeguard. But he didn't do anything. She shoved him so hard out of the way that he fell in off to the side and she dove in and pulled me up.

I coughed like a motherfucker and was fine. I didn't need CPR or anything. But I remember I felt really good because she was the only one raising hell as she went over to the lifeguard and started punching and kicking him asking "don't you know how to fucking swim asshole?" Normally we only hear my dad talk like that, and my mom wasn't on this trip. It was my dad and his work friends. He was probably thinking "Thank fuck she was there" not raising any hell and not yelling at my sister to stop on the lifeguard. She hit him a few times yelled at him, while I looked at him in contempt while catching my breathe. I remember he came over and put his arm over my shoulder as I was still coughing up for air and said "Sorry little buddy, are you ok?" I gave him the middle finger, and walked away with my sister, dad and his friends who were laughing their asses off. My dad told that story to a lot of people and my sister still remembers it vividly as well.

TBH I was kind of pissed no adults were really concerned about me, even though I ended up being fine. I had a really bad pottymouth and swore a lot when I was young, just picking up dads vocab. There's a few story's of me yelling Son of a bitch! And goddammit! After small lil kid frustrations with things. I'll never forget my sister saving my life that day though.
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:36 am

Honestly my earliest memory isn't much.

All I remember is being in at my grandmother's place during Christmas when I was like 3. And it isn't much. I remember the carpet was beige and the walls were stained with cigarette smoke. That's really about it.
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:42 pm

Wow, Rivoc, that sounds pretty traumatic for how small you were!
Image Image
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sun May 08, 2016 4:33 am

Rwn wrote:Honestly my earliest memory isn't much.

All I remember is being in at my grandmother's place during Christmas when I was like 3. And it isn't much. I remember the carpet was beige and the walls were stained with cigarette smoke. That's really about it.

Thats to be expected for being 3. I'm really surprised at all of the diverse answers.

girlapaloo wrote:Wow, Rivoc, that sounds pretty traumatic for how small you were!

I remember being more angry at how little the adults seemed to care about it at the time. I'm surprised I didn't develop a water phobia, really.
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Mon May 09, 2016 5:08 pm

Memories oh Memories.

I remember things, but I am not sure of the age, but I know it was before I went to school. One such memory is in a house; my parents are deshelling scallops (it is still the reason why I tend to think people overpay for a water filter). This cat scratched me, and I remember going crying to my momma. It is in this same house that I remember putting on my dad's work boot and walking around the house. I used to tell them that God had put children on the Earth for parents to take care of them (looking back at that, I did not have the concept that children grow up). My parents asked me questions that day, wanting to know where I had gained this insight, but I just kept telling them God had said that children were put on Earth for parents to take care of them.. (I was an odd child since we did not even go to Church on Sundays, I am unsure of where I learned about God at, might have been PBS).

I have other ones as being in Pre-K (FL loves its Pre-K programs) and having the older kids read to us. It was an odd experience, which I will always associate with this school in St. Pete, FL. It was an all black neighborhood the type that you DID NOT want to live in (drugs, gangs, that kind of stuff, it was the late 80s). We were the only white family, it was the only place that my parents could afford, but I remember my parents telling me to sleep on the ground in case of gunfire because someone had already shot at our place. We did not live there long before moving to Indiana, where I attended either Pre-K or Kindergarten (I am not sure, because I also attended Kindergarten in NC too, that might have something to do with my Birthday, which is in December, I really do not know, and my mom's memory is too gone to ask her about it, and my dad is dead.. so a mystery).

A lot of my early memories are connected to places, not people. I can remember the layout of every house that we have lived in. That is the scary part like I remember living at Clarabelle's, which a nice older black woman owned the home (she liked my parents). She was a member of a black church, me and my sister would go a lot of Sundays because it was across the street and the people there was always so nice and hotdogs.

This was a fun :)
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Tue May 10, 2016 5:56 am

Skywalker wrote:Memories oh Memories.

I remember things, but I am not sure of the age, but I know it was before I went to school. One such memory is in a house; my parents are deshelling scallops (it is still the reason why I tend to think people overpay for a water filter). This cat scratched me, and I remember going crying to my momma. It is in this same house that I remember putting on my dad's work boot and walking around the house. I used to tell them that God had put children on the Earth for parents to take care of them (looking back at that, I did not have the concept that children grow up). My parents asked me questions that day, wanting to know where I had gained this insight, but I just kept telling them God had said that children were put on Earth for parents to take care of them.. (I was an odd child since we did not even go to Church on Sundays, I am unsure of where I learned about God at, might have been PBS).

I have other ones as being in Pre-K (FL loves its Pre-K programs) and having the older kids read to us. It was an odd experience, which I will always associate with this school in St. Pete, FL. It was an all black neighborhood the type that you DID NOT want to live in (drugs, gangs, that kind of stuff, it was the late 80s). We were the only white family, it was the only place that my parents could afford, but I remember my parents telling me to sleep on the ground in case of gunfire because someone had already shot at our place. We did not live there long before moving to Indiana, where I attended either Pre-K or Kindergarten (I am not sure, because I also attended Kindergarten in NC too, that might have something to do with my Birthday, which is in December, I really do not know, and my mom's memory is too gone to ask her about it, and my dad is dead.. so a mystery).

A lot of my early memories are connected to places, not people. I can remember the layout of every house that we have lived in. That is the scary part like I remember living at Clarabelle's, which a nice older black woman owned the home (she liked my parents). She was a member of a black church, me and my sister would go a lot of Sundays because it was across the street and the people there was always so nice and hotdogs.

This was a fun :)

Posts like this far exceed what I was hoping for creating this thread. That was truly a look back into your memory and growing up, and puts me right in the setting as I read it. You're very talented. Do you contribute to the Lit threads??? If not, you definitely should. Im quite impressed. that was really excellent, and put my right there as if you were narrating the movie "A Christmas Story" but instead, it was your story and memory and childhood. this is definitely one of my favorite posts I've read on Ninja.

All of these have been really wonderful, really. Thank you guys for your awesome participation. I hope it continues on.
NaranjaRa

Re: First IRL memories, EVER!!!!

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:34 am

bump

Return to “Random”