So Ninjas, where did you get your username?

More laid back off-topic than Culture & Debate... This section is for the mundane, the funny, and the interesting.
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Tue May 10, 2016 3:53 pm

Skywalker wrote:I initially used Paris for years at places like Earth 2025 and on other places in which I needed a username (my email address still includes Paris in it, because I have had it since high school!)

Skywalker, it is simple really.. I like Star Wars and I enjoy stealking the username Skywalker. I also tend to steal the username Hubble, cause I really think that Edward Hubble was a cool guy, and he taught at a high school in Southern Indiana and I used to live there.

Then there was the time I used AssMap (saw Three Kings) and in my brilliance thought that was funny. It was a spam type account on Earth 2025. I also used Batman, which was another novelty type account, that replied to people as it was Batman. It was a fun thing to do back in the day.

Today it is just Skywalker, no time for novelty accounts.

I love Star Wars too but AssMap! truly inspired :lol:
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Thu May 26, 2016 9:42 am

So my full name is Gwendolyn, when I was about 13, I didn't have a lot of friends, the ones I had, were busy with their schoolfriends and being a teenager and shit (Different schools). The schoolfriends I had, wanted to fit in, and I was bullied so they basically joined in or stayed the hell away from me. I started hanging around the neighbourhood, made new friends and they all happened to be boys. As I wasn't the girlygirl-gossip type, I fitted in with them. Other girls came and went, but those girls were the make up girlygirl 'I want a cool boyfriend' types, so those girls never lasted in the group. Anyway, They started to call me Gwemboy as an inside joke, and I accepted. Gwemboy became Gwembo and when the internet arrived in my existence and I needed a Hotmail and msn account, Gwembo was taken, so I made it Gwenno. Strangely it seemed to fit, and my friends started to use Gwenno in real life as well.
Only when I run into the guys, I still hear Gwembo, and that is still very dear to me.
Live today, 'cause if you don't, you might live to regret it.... Amanda Marshall
Image Image
Image Image
Spoiler: show
/anna hijack! :kiss:
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu May 26, 2016 3:29 pm

An amalgamation of a name and a word in my favorite science fiction world, Dune. Feyd Rautha and Fedaykin. I often get people telling me that I've spelled Fedaykin incorrectly, but they don't know me. ;)

;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Thu May 26, 2016 6:38 pm

At PAX a few years ago, I was playing a demo of...I think it was Elder Scrolls Online. I was forced to make up a name, and I wrote in the first thing that came to my head, which was Zanzibar Cuddlesnatch. From there, I kind of fell in love with the name, and especially the Zanzibar part, so when I was coming up with a character for an RP my friends were doing, I decided to name him Zansi'Vara, a very slightly mutated form of Zanzibar.
ImageImage
ImageImage
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:24 pm

moonshine wrote:I got mine from an old gypsy woman. She also spat in my hand but that is gypsy's for you.

LOLOL

I like this thread :)

A long time ago, right at the end of my grade school days, I was signing up for my very first internetz ever!
It was called Prodigy, I think. (AOL came shortly after that.) When it was time to choose a username,
I didn't really care so I looked over at the first words I could see: "Girlapalooza" on the cover of some music magazine,
referencing Sarah McLachlan's plans for Lillith Fair. The username field only took 10 characters, so there ya have it.
No meaning behind it whatsoever.
Image Image
Psy
Neck Veins & Deep Inner Bellows...

Postby Psy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:20 pm

I played SSX Tricky on the PS2 when I was 13, Done.

Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Re: So Ninjas, where did you get your username?

Postby Gwenno » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:19 pm

I'm a very curious person, so I'll bump this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live today, 'cause if you don't, you might live to regret it.... Amanda Marshall
Image Image
Image Image
/anna hijack! :kiss:
Manhal
ninja with training wheels

Postby Manhal » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:16 pm

Manhal is my actual name. Nicknamed "Mannie" first (French version), then "Manny" stuck. Most people in my everyday life call me Manny, and I go by Manny and Manhal interchangeably. The name Manhal, my mom named me after an old obscure Arabic poem; she was a Masters in arabic poetry. My sis is named Hazaar, also a rare name from poetry.

I post here as myself. I love my actual name.
In Google, it's defined as "Manhal is a Muslim name for boys meaning Fountain, Spring of salubrious water."
I was told by my mom that it came from the story of Zam Zam, the famous water spring found in the desert by Hajar and Ishmael.
She told me it means "the source" of knowledge, of life. It's derived from the story of Hajjar and Abraham.

I used to have terrible handles, like manhalthegreat, mannyfresh, and theMan, but now, if I have to choose an alias, I tend to go by manhalasium, my elemental self.
I am only here a short time. Inshalla khair :) I love you all.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:42 am

Manhal wrote:Manhal is my actual name. Nicknamed "Mannie" first (French version), then "Manny" stuck. Most people in my everyday life call me Manny, and I go by Manny and Manhal interchangeably. The name Manhal, my mom named me after an old obscure Arabic poem; she was a Masters in arabic poetry. My sis is named Hazaar, also a rare name from poetry.

I post here as myself. I love my actual name.
In Google, it's defined as "Manhal is a Muslim name for boys meaning Fountain, Spring of salubrious water."
I was told by my mom that it came from the story of Zam Zam, the famous water spring found in the desert by Hajar and Ishmael.
She told me it means "the source" of knowledge, of life. It's derived from the story of Hajjar and Abraham.

I used to have terrible handles, like manhalthegreat, mannyfresh, and theMan, but now, if I have to choose an alias, I tend to go by manhalasium, my elemental self.

AWESOME!!! (sun) I see that the meaning of your name goes right along with your style. you're definitely full of knowledge!!! Hell, FFS iove only read 4 of your posts and you taught me something new in each one! Rock on Manny!!!
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:44 am

i get asked this a lot. awesome idea for a thread!

NaranjaRa wrote:
um, hmmmm....the orange thing. hahaha well it's weird to explain, and really dorky to be honest. but here goes:

i've always been into color symbolism, and in some places orange is the color of seeking knowledge, of genius. not that i consider myself to be this at all. i just respect the idea. a reminder to strive for mental strength. so i adopted it as a bit of a favorite color secretly decades ago in my teens (yes, i r old..Er.).

later would come certain instances of orange in entertainment media...most important being the oranges that seem to foretell danger in the Godfather series of films. in some cultures, orange signifes danger. duh...think of bright "safety orange" roadcrews and you've got it.

flash forward to the series Lost, that i became quite obsessed with. the character John Locke does this thing with an orange in his mouth in the pilot episode:

from that point on, the writers used the color orange, oranges, or orange juice to signify some kind of trouble coming. as i grew more obsessed with the show i started theorizing about it in forums and chats. i adopted the theme of orange as my online persona and started going by "Anna Naranja" (orange in Spanish). thus began the orange-headed avatars....there are probably close to 75-80 or so in my library. i grew a little following on my blog, and when i went to my first Comic Con in 2008, i dyed my hair bright orange so my friends could find me easily in the crowd. totally worked, as i stood in the middle of the exhibit-hall floor, surrounded by thousands, when i head this tiny voice go, "...Anna?".

after that, it just sorta stuck. i've been the Orange for about 10 years now...lol

"NaranjaRa" only came about once I stuck an orange head on these two ladies.

Image Image

/anna
ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.

Postby ghostdogg » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:28 am

This one's pretty simple for me. Ghost Dog was my fav movie at the time when I signed up for 1.0 and I just remembered I need to re-watch it this weekend.
Beakedbard

Postby Beakedbard » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Random name generator when i was about 14 and its stuck for over 10 years. XD
Manhal

Postby Manhal » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Thx for the kind words Rivoc!
I am only here a short time. Inshalla khair :) I love you all.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:31 am

Always happy to support (sun)

Return to “Random”