So Ninjas, where did you get your username?

More laid back off-topic than Culture & Debate... This section is for the mundane, the funny, and the interesting.
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Tue May 03, 2016 5:14 pm

I'll start since I started the thread (obviously).

I got 'Brewtality' from a live album from Black Label Society named 'Alcohol Fuelled Brewtality'. I saw the word and thought it was cool and I was really enjoying being a big metal guy drinking hard, raising hell and playing my guitar loud so it just fit.

anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Tue May 03, 2016 11:31 pm

This is a bit embarrassing but...
When I was in High School I was really into the Dave Matthews Band. Shared bootleg cassettes with people online (Netscape Navigator) crazy for the band. On one of the bootlegs they had a song called anynoise/anti-noise(which morphed into Say Goodbye). I listened to a lot of music...other bands I loved included NIN, Nirvana, Boyz II Men, Pink Floyd...I was all over the place. I grabbed the anynoise part, discriptive of my musical tastes, and used it as the name on my first Hotmail account. I started using it for everything else. So, when I fell out of love with DMB, the source of my online persona was obscure enough that I just stuck with it. 20 yrs later...forums, instagram, twitter, login names...my old Hotmail account. Still rocking the DMB derived moniker.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed May 04, 2016 3:16 am

Mine also was birn in high school. I was playing Dungeons and Dragons with a bunch of friends and wanted to make a half elf rogue. So I needed a name, and Rivoc was born. It just popped in my head and everyone loved it, including me. Much like Anynoise, it became my AOL account name, yahoo, hotmail, Xbox, ps3, EVERYTHING! Still to this day.
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Wed May 04, 2016 12:30 pm

I honestly have no idea... I want to say it's based off of a character in a book but I really can't remember.

Although it is pronounced rune.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Wed May 04, 2016 3:01 pm

I have had several forum names over the years- some designed to hide who I am, some to expose it.

Corgi mom is simple- I have corgi's. I rescue corgi's. I train corgi's. I love corgi's. I have shown corgi's. They are of course dogs but they get that I am leader of the pack. Most dogs do get that message if you are just consistent but corgi's LOVE getting that message and return the favor by making you the mom. I am sure I am less obsessed with corgis than people are with their children.
Image Image
est 1953

Azealdread
NinjaCrafted

Postby Azealdread » Wed May 04, 2016 3:52 pm

Its an old rp name, he was a vampire and stuff that was also an alien from space at the same time, the basic short version of it is that his race of vampires lived in floating ruins and cities in space.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu May 05, 2016 6:19 am

Azealdread wrote:Its an old rp name, he was a vampire and stuff that was also an alien from space at the same time, the basic short version of it is that his race of vampires lived in floating ruins and cities in space.

that sounds like a hell of a fun story!!! Whats an rp?
Zombie
Wizard Behind The Curtain

Postby Zombie » Thu May 05, 2016 9:32 pm

I covered this in my bullshit intro video... Promptly deleted ... My recall is fucked so if I had a reason for my name I sure as shit don't remember it.. Its something that stuck/evolved from z0mbieface
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Thu May 05, 2016 10:33 pm

mine was a combo play off the year i was born and where i felt my skills were at the time... eventually i just shortened it to ink lol
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

ravenrussell
Keeper of Dark Mysteries..

Postby ravenrussell » Fri May 06, 2016 2:26 am

Use the name everywhere online. My real name is Russell Keenan, but my mom named me Raven. My dad didn't like this as he named me Bookah, supposedly means love in some Arabic language. They settled on Russell. I chose Raven Russell after the popularity fall of MySpace. I hated how all of my high school graduating class had found me on MySpace. So I took up Raven, so I wouldn't have to deal with any of them. It was strange when a bully of mine, our someone I hated world try to friend me.
Peace to all.
-Raven
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Fri May 06, 2016 2:42 am

My name is Paul, nuff said.
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
moonshine
190 PROOF

Postby moonshine » Fri May 06, 2016 11:53 pm

I got mine from an old gypsy woman. She also spat in my hand but that is gypsy's for you.
ImageImage
Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Sat May 07, 2016 3:15 am

Mines pretty self explanatory born in Philly & I never really lived anywhere else
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
Ron
grasshopper

Postby Ron » Sun May 08, 2016 1:55 am

So in 2005 I used alluc regularly. Like all the time. And one day in between refreshes of current releases I see a forum link appear. I like having small unique names with no numbers or special characters in it so I registered as quick as I could with the shortest name I could think of. I did the same thing in World of Warcraft, using the same name once the Dark Iron server was released. Follow the sands of time and Ninja is born, to which I used my old Alluc handle, and claimed Bubbles and the Third registered user.
ImageImage
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Sun May 08, 2016 2:37 am

Mine's pretty obvies with a little background. I got to learn Spanish as part of my "manipulate the world into Mormonism" thing (missionary service), and have stuck with it ever since, always maintaining some link to Spanish-speaking communities. Luckily I use it daily at work. Fun story: Some of the most over-qualified sysadmins in the world are concentrated into Mexico City, and I have a lot of sysadmins, A LOT, to compare against.

Anyhow, I took my last name, which is in a whitey language, and has a cool story associated with it, got the approximate meaning in English, then translated it very roughly to Spanish. Problematic cultural appropriation gringo hubris, I suppose, but THERE IT IS. Roughly the same time I got into the first Ninja forums, I was also in this Jedi Academy online "clan" which was dominated by Spanish speakers, and stuck the username in there.

EDIT: Add'l note for novelty: I made a very special request to have my username changed from something closer to my name to what it is now because in those old forums I started to get a bit too honest for the general population, and the same kind of remains true now.
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
Tornsanity
the unproven

Postby Tornsanity » Sun May 08, 2016 2:56 am

Honestly not sure its been my username for so long i kinda forgot.
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Sun May 08, 2016 3:04 am

one of my old school high school handles was phara0hess. Female pharaoh and what not type play. I joined alluc with phara0hess and when we split off from that forum, i split the name to Phara. :)

and i'm egyptian so that always made sense.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Sun May 08, 2016 3:06 am

Phara wrote:one of my old school high school handles was phara0hess. Female pharaoh and what not type play. I joined alluc with phara0hess and when we split off from that forum, i split the name to Phara. :)

SHAMELESS FANBOY ALERT: This is on par with that one forum post from Linus Torvalds about what Linux ought to be. Historical and shit.
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
Psy
Neck Veins & Deep Inner Bellows...

Postby Psy » Sun May 08, 2016 3:09 am

Due to trademarks I had to change my name about 3-4 times before I found one not used by a musician already.
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Sun May 08, 2016 3:11 am

cerrodepedro wrote:
Phara wrote:one of my old school high school handles was phara0hess. Female pharaoh and what not type play. I joined alluc with phara0hess and when we split off from that forum, i split the name to Phara. :)

SHAMELESS FANBOY ALERT: This is on par with that one forum post from Linus Torvalds about what Linux ought to be. Historical and shit.

hahahahaha. you're my favorite fan ever. lololol
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sun May 08, 2016 4:38 am

Psy wrote:Due to trademarks I had to change my name about 3-4 times before I found one not used by a musician already.

Too bad you didn't trademark it. You'd get some of those sweet Oppa Gangnam Style royalties!
Psy
Neck Veins & Deep Inner Bellows...

Postby Psy » Sun May 08, 2016 4:51 am

Rivoc wrote:
Psy wrote:Due to trademarks I had to change my name about 3-4 times before I found one not used by a musician already.

Too bad you didn't trademark it. You'd get some of those sweet Oppa Gangnam Style royalties!

Yeah although the full title is PsymonPsyKO, because Psy (Korean) was around for a decade or so before international infamy.
SkeliFish
Pixel Magician

Postby SkeliFish » Sun May 08, 2016 5:03 am

Mine comes from an odd fascination when I find dead fish on the beach. Been using it for years and will use it for many more.
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Mon May 09, 2016 4:50 pm

I initially used Paris for years at places like Earth 2025 and on other places in which I needed a username (my email address still includes Paris in it, because I have had it since high school!)

Skywalker, it is simple really.. I like Star Wars and I enjoy stealking the username Skywalker. I also tend to steal the username Hubble, cause I really think that Edward Hubble was a cool guy, and he taught at a high school in Southern Indiana and I used to live there.

Then there was the time I used AssMap (saw Three Kings) and in my brilliance thought that was funny. It was a spam type account on Earth 2025. I also used Batman, which was another novelty type account, that replied to people as it was Batman. It was a fun thing to do back in the day.

Today it is just Skywalker, no time for novelty accounts.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Tue May 10, 2016 12:54 am

Psy wrote:
Rivoc wrote:

Yeah although the full title is PsymonPsyKO, because Psy (Korean) was around for a decade or so before international infamy.

Hehehe. The thought of royalties from that song.... SO MANY YOUTUBE VIEWS

Return to “Random”