a community for tournies and such?

What's going on with Ninja? Read me and find out.

Moderators: Phara, NaranjaRa

Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

a community for tournies and such?

Postby Phara » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:56 pm

This is my first post in years. Today is March 4, the day after super tuesday and bernie just suffered a huge blow from the Biden campaign and my thoughts are dark. I had an urge to just bang on a keyboard in a way I haven't in a long time and something pulled me here.

I'm down to make this place be a live journaling blog for myself or if I ever get myself together, maybe I can put down some of the ideas that came in over the years. Unfortunately, a lot of it comes back to my weariness with humanity as to why it's so hard to keep things together, but what the fuck ever, these are all things we know.

Some thoughts now.

I miss the community and seeing how fucked we are politically reinforced that hard. I keep thinking of the artist competitions we used to have and I'm wondering if that could be something big going forward. Let's say we work on a donation system/semi subscriber system and after costs, the profits all went into prizes for competitions and tournaments the way we used to do in Ninja. I'd be down to throw down $20 for a simple banner contest or something like that every month and see if it grows. Lol... something to PM Ghostdogg about. And Naranjara. And so many others maybe.

Will come back later. Hopefully.

Phara
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Re: a community for tournies and such?

Postby Phara » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:08 pm

spitballing again

at least in the beginning, make it open for posting and such from the public. registration can be a pain in the ass. at the very least for members to be able to easily request information

culture and debate makes me wary, moderation is tough. i honestly don't want any fucking Drumpf supporters on here so how do we handle that. man, lots of fucking tricky things in that realm which is why im wondering if we just not do it initially.

definitely the art and writing paid competitions bit. might be an amazing thing for real if we set up something like a patreon system where people gave five bucks a month and we legit turned 99% of that back into their hands, some real cool collective thinking there.

again, i'm thinking of keeping this VERY VERY SMALL. unless people really stepped up on queen and king levels, I will fall off if it gets out of hand. i just can't take it, i'm too introverted for the queen mother role.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Orea
Viva La Résistance

Postby Orea » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:14 pm

Reviving the contests would be a great idea.
Back in the days, I believe Ninja was an emulating force for a lot of us. Contests did that for some, driving them to achieve more, develop skills.

For me, it was really the boards themselves, that pushed me further. When you read a message on a board, you read the development of someone's thoughts, in a way that is even quite superior to face-to-face conversation. It helped me develop my thinking, and my ability to counter someone else's. Being able to pick apart one's thoughts, line by line, with indentation... Yeah man.
I've been wanting to blog, and I've even started one, but it feels... empty. And it made me miss Ninja even more. A friend of mine said something along the lines of "a blog only represents a scream into the nothingness of the world". Having a community that acts as a sounding board, emotional support and debate practice, that's something else entirely.

Biggest issues, I guess, are

1/ Fooling algorythms and providing visibility to Ninja content, in order to attract (and keep) wandering souls looking for a home. (scratch that maybe in light of your 2nd post)
2/ Fighting that damnable devolution of the species which make it appear cool to have an attention span of 2 mins or 280 words.

PS : I'm sorry I've let Ninja 2.0 down. On the personal side, my life has been absolutely hectic these past few years. I'm back though, and I'm on full-on warrior mode. Let it be known.
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:30 pm

i love you girl <3 man always and so much. and nothing to be sorry for because no one can that more than me and I really want this community to be obligation free. i want it to be a joy, not a chore. That's why I'm thinking keep it small. and I'm not averse to growth but I dont think it should be a priority. I really think a small group that is strong as fuck has always been the way to go. and stagger growth from there.

maybe the first thing is to slowly tag the old school ninjas to this thread. and make it open for people to not bother with registration
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:38 pm

ok, no registration required currently so people can immediately post. we'll see if that works out well or the bots flood in.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Nepherteri
grasshopper

Postby Nepherteri » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:50 pm

Fuckkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!! Why am I crying at my desk??? I miss this place...but I literally spent 20 mins trying to remember my UN/PW...*sigh

I had just been in my bed the other day talking to this guy I'm contemplating taking to the next level (another post another day-wrong rabbit hole)...He's a writer/poet, published, and was asking about if there was a community site he could brain dump...I said well yes and no...there are two places that came to mind off the top of my head and Ninja was one and the other was a site called opendiary.com...I used to maintain a diary there...so you had your diary it can be open or it can closed...it was old school so you had to know how to code to make it look different...but the nifty part was that some entries can be open some closed, and it was YOUR space to do what you wanted with it...so the thing I would "steal" from that site is the ability to have a space of yours with your stuff all in one space and the it can be cross posted to a forum, or not it could reside only in your space if desired...

Here at Ninja you have the forum where you can share and receive feedback on virtually anything you wanted...I LOVE the community vibe and how we all became a lil (big) family...I love how we encouraged eachother to become the best we could offer, while sheltering our spirits on bad days...I like that the community is smallish compared to the social media giants...I wish Ninja was more device friendly since I rarely sit my ass down at a computer these days....I would most definately use it a lot more if it was...
I love the contests...and even there wasnt a prize per se...it would be so cool to be recognized in a virtual gallery of some type and just like a regular art gallery it can change out and evolve over time...a place for inspo and collab...I'm down with a $20 autopay...hell I nearly pay that much for Netflix that I watch once or twice a month now...

Ninja to me was a world of creatives and that is something missing in today's social media map...Big love for you ALL!!!

PS I forgot that I LOVE the save draft/preview/submit...God it the littlest things that are missing in life
" Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you're riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake up and live."~Bob Marley

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:14 pm

oh man what a great post to wake up to, I'm glad people are receptive to the idea. and so funny that you say that because I drafted a visual journaling business plan a long time ago that sounds similar to open diary and I'm wondering if it may still have a home in this world somewhere.

Candee and I also talked earlier just about how this would be a nice thing to have. A lil easy, corner of the world without the balls to the wall crazy that it can be.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:15 pm

Virtual gallery idea, check <3

also, definitely have to look into forum software that is forum friendy or maybe one that has an app attached to it, we need to be able to make this as easy and adhd friendly as possible
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:04 am

Hmm... ok so art and lit are a definite but lit has to be limited to short pieces, super short pieces. maybe twitter competitions where character count is limited. we're still fighting adhd here.

Phara's corner for stream of consciousness spewing
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Wadswerth
the unproven

Postby Wadswerth » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:53 am

I personally would like a music comp, I was complaining to coworkers the other day how I missed the music comps. Great way to force people to listen to my music :giggle:
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:00 am

Wadswerth wrote:I personally would like a music comp, I was complaining to coworkers the other day how I missed the music comps. Great way to force people to listen to my music :giggle:

lol, i'd like that too.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.

Postby ghostdogg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:25 pm

<3 i think we could also organize how print to be delivered to donators ... might be a good incentive and a fair trade. I remember talks of a magazine; music can be CD/USB, etc. Food-for-thought
Orea
Viva La Résistance

Postby Orea » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:22 am

A few things to add, this topic having been on my mind for the past couple of days.
What you said, Phara, about making a bubble, and the idea of diary, resonated a lot with me.

I've started a blog, after discovering my neuro-atypicality, but it feels pretty much empty. A bubble yes, where one can express themselves openly, but still, empty. It lack the dialectic you can find on a forum. I need the stimulation of diving in depth into the opinion of others, see the weak and strong points of their arguments, the breadth or limitation of their knowledge, in order to give direction to the true writing I want to be doing.

Facebook and other social media have had a horrendous effect on the ability to reason. Everything is either really superficial, or if serious/political, directly on the offensive, if not outright trolling. Considered as a communication tool between humans, it is an embryo compared to what I know the Ninja community can be.

As for the idea of tournaments.
Your idea of collecting funds, it's a good one. It can materialize either in actual money being given out to winners, or gifts - why not books, concert tickets, museum visits, art expo, conferences or seminars. Hell, if it gets big enough, why not grants for scholarships, new work/craft formations or other personal projects.

I'd say creating visibility for such content should be a main goal. Blogs/Magazine/Webzine - maybe not just one but a constellation of them. One for each kind of content you wish to highlight. Create the "generally cultural" version of Ninjavideo "main", except, purely of "our" own production. Made to feature all the amazing content produced within the backbone of the community : the threads.

I love the forum interface, it suits my mind perfectly, but the sad truth is that most people have the attention span of a goldfish. And the others are so loaded with financial strain that they need to work bullshit jobs just to make ends meet, exhausting themselves, and therefore, too tired to make the effort to educate themselves. Intelligence needs to be made to look cool. And I'm not talking about the fucking A.I., I'm talking about our own. We need to elevate the minds of people, because they're letting free their most basic and worst instincts, literally choosing stupidity over common sense, reason and empathy most of the time. It's not their fault, it's the way the philosophical/political/social/economic system works. But that system can and should be challenged.
So, make intelligent and beautiful content look "cool", and give them visibility.

Not only the artistic content - obviously - but also Culture and Debate pieces. Philosophical arguments and heavy issues, activism writing, things that directly confront the status quo. From this standpoint, I can work with your point of not tolerating... let's call them "absolute Trumpers".

My brain is shutting down, I'll stop here, and probably add other things later.
Krav Maga last night, 12 kms walk this morning, my legs are telling me to fuck right off.
I bid you all good night, or morning, who the hell knows.
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:20 pm

i like the magazine idea ghost but that would be down the road i think, the mag was a massive project

rolling a blunt and coming back for orea
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image

Return to “News & Announcements”