Stoicism and other Life Philosophies

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
Mr. 26
:-|

Stoicism and other Life Philosophies

Postby Mr. 26 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:18 pm

/62

At various points people have accused me of practicing Stoic silence or having a Stoic demeanor. Yes, it's true, I'm unphased by the bullshit of life but that is mostly due to the fact that I don't give a fuck. That is one my signature catch phrases: "I don't give a fuck." At times when it is not appropriate to swear in public and I am forced to give a minor fuck, I vary it to reflect the situation: "I don't give a shit."

Earlier in life, I gave too much of a fuck and was giving fucks out like Tootsie Rolls outside a dentist office. I was operating on a deficit of fucks and had to say "no, these fucks are mine and I will not share them with anyone." Now, I have a surplus or abundance of fucks to give but I will continue hoarding them until I determine it is appropriate to dole them out.

But I digress.

I've browsed through most of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations and [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism]the wikipedia page on stoicism[/i] and do have to admit, some of the stuff makes sense. But it seems so obvious and easy. I've dabbled in Buddhism but the people I have met that identify as Buddhist still seem very flawed and appear to mostly unhappy with their lives.

It seems to me that most of the followers these schools of thought and/or religion pick and choose what they want to work for them, all while ignoring the most fundamental tenement of their beliefs: love. I may have only done a brief audit of the popular religions but did find parallels and overlap with all of them and the recurring them seemed to be love.

So when I say "I don't give a fuck", it's a loaded statement. I don't give a fuck about your new shoes or your phone or whatever inane bullshit your posted on your Facebook or Instagram. I do give a fuck about you being a human being and us existing on this planet together and want our shared experience to be as fucking awesome as it can be.

/62
betweenraindrops
the unproven

Re: Stoicism and other Life Philosophies

Postby betweenraindrops » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:16 am

Mr. 26 wrote:/62

At various points people have accused me of practicing Stoic silence or having a Stoic demeanor. Yes, it's true, I'm unphased by the bullshit of life but that is mostly due to the fact that I don't give a fuck. That is one my signature catch phrases: "I don't give a fuck." At times when it is not appropriate to swear in public and I am forced to give a minor fuck, I vary it to reflect the situation: "I don't give a shit."

Earlier in life, I gave too much of a fuck and was giving fucks out like Tootsie Rolls outside a dentist office. I was operating on a deficit of fucks and had to say "no, these fucks are mine and I will not share them with anyone." Now, I have a surplus or abundance of fucks to give but I will continue hoarding them until I determine it is appropriate to dole them out.

But I digress.

I've browsed through most of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations and [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism]the wikipedia page on stoicism[/i] and do have to admit, some of the stuff makes sense. But it seems so obvious and easy. I've dabbled in Buddhism but the people I have met that identify as Buddhist still seem very flawed and appear to mostly unhappy with their lives.

It seems to me that most of the followers these schools of thought and/or religion pick and choose what they want to work for them, all while ignoring the most fundamental tenement of their beliefs: love. I may have only done a brief audit of the popular religions but did find parallels and overlap with all of them and the recurring them seemed to be love.

So when I say "I don't give a fuck", it's a loaded statement. I don't give a fuck about your new shoes or your phone or whatever inane bullshit your posted on your Facebook or Instagram. I do give a fuck about you being a human being and us existing on this planet together and want our shared experience to be as fucking awesome as it can be.

/62

:idea:
I oh so humbly submit to your statement about love having to be the main emotion people ought to channel in and out continuously as waves regardless of Any differences when interacting with others. Respect, being equal in importance regrettably I don't see many people putting much of an effort into either...slander is so cruel.

Your blatant honesty admired, even a person like I, has to admit, there are some pretty messed up individuals out there with such an appalling expression of hubris and righteousness so I understand wherefrom you speak.

I don't talk much myself because the opinions I harbour are mostly taken as offensive and derogatory when I'm only elucidating 'truth to face'. Big surprise they don't like it so I move on after having said my piece. Still, I need to master the art of ignoring the chatter behind me as I depart from their company.

Empathy being my nature I get it because from a social standpoint we all want to belong and want to feel free, but when one says they are a representative let's say, of a certain belief system and they operate on completely opposite mannerisms that's a huge button pusher.

I'd like to say more but I think you get my drift on hypocrites...

Return to “C&D”