Aamer Rahman (Fear of a Brown Planet) - Reverse Racism

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Re: Reverse racism

Postby Corgimom » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:08 pm

The thousands of native Americans who took European name and 'joined' white civilization from the turn of the 20th century through the 50's and 60's are often examples of self hate as they walked away from family and culture to pass.
Image Image
est 1953

PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Re: Aamer Rahman (Fear of a Brown Planet) - Reverse Racism

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:25 pm

Ink and Alice have pretty much covered most of what I would have added.

Frankly, I think most of these debates revolve around the misuse of the word "racism" (and "racist"). As Ink points out, racism can reinforce prejudice. That key underlined phrase tells us that racism, prejudice, and discrimination are three interrelated, but different, concepts.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
defango
the unproven

Postby defango » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:12 am

Hate has been programmed into humanity over thousands of years and will not be easily solved with our simple understanding of ourselves. Fear and Ignorance are elements of Hate that are used to rationalize the actions taken in the name of Racism, bigotry, and overall lack of Thought power in Humans. Most people learn things at an age where we will not question the knowledge that is given to us and it is locked into position in the human Brain. Culture and Religion are two of the main driving forces behind Fear and ignorance that culminate into the Soup know as hate. The Culture and religion of an area dictate can contribute to a large amount of learned knowledge can is used to readily describe the self and create a fake understanding of superiority. In old times people were talked to about all the things they knew and it would widely accepted that this is how it always was. When you look at men/women in positions of power you see that their overall understanding of the world is reflected in our they run their kingdom.

Racism and hate have been fighting an uphill battle against Science finally entered to level the playing field. 99% of you is exactly the same as every other person, out there. Less than 1% of your DNA makes you, YOU. These are fundamental understandings of the universe that people in the past simply did not have the brains to comprehend because of how they were brought up in the past. Racism and Hate are like viruses that have been implanted into all the people of the world to keep them from becoming truly a nation of one people. This says beyond a shadow of a doubt that no one is better than anyone else because intrinsically we are all variations the same central finite curve experiencing itself within 3rd dimensional reality.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:05 pm

This isn't really directed at anyone, it's more a response to the video in the OP and what people will perceive it as...

So because some of my ancestors may have done or said racist things, maybe even taken slaves and hated people because of their race it's OK for other races to be racist toward me because I'm "white"? In fact so much so that it's not even considered racist? Even though I didn't and don't ever do anything that would be considered racist? I actually have enough Native American in me that I could technically claim it and live on a reservation, etc... but I don't. What does that make me? I look "white" to most people. I'm also a large part Hispanic, a "minority", but wait! I'm part Portuguese so does that mean it doesn't count because the Portuguese committed genocide against many Native Americans?! I'm so fucking confused...

Let me tell you. All this motherfucking bullshit does is incite and continue racial tension. To the point of no return. We keep this mindset, this "us versus them", pay for the sins of your father bullshit mentality, there IS going to be a race war in this country and all over the world. If the US goes all out civil race war the world will follow and it'll be all over and done with. What side am I going to be on? I don't know, but I'm scared to death because I don't want to hurt anyone because of this stupid, pointless nonsense. If you perpetuate this Liberal bullshit mindset, you're part of the problem... period.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:38 pm

i feel the frustration in your words feyd.. im a mut. my bloodline is potent with inner conflict from who knows where. now when i step out into the world, i am viewed as _______, or not white, despite my white mother. its funny, because she doesnt even fully understand the repercussions of having children with a black man...and is quite out of touch when i attempt to explain some of the obstacles i face. might be denial, guilt, shame, who knows why?? i dont but that is why i continue to push open dialog's, awareness and education. actually, race is a socially constructed concept as opposed to a biologically-based distinction, if one really thinks about it. this is why i believe the US is headed for regression in regards to race. many want to forget the past, as it was horrible, but how does the saying go?

if we forget the past, we are doomed to repeat it.. or something like that

here is an interesting and rather informative read on the "one drop rule" and mixed race in America

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jefferson/mixed/onedrop.html

*i realize that im kind of flooding the OP with seemingly off direct topic information, but if those that browse this thread would bare with me, i would like to come in here occasionally and enlighten, if you all would allow it. there is no shame in gathering understanding
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:18 am

I was at the beach today. The kid we're been watching is a talker, and he makes friends with anyone. At five they don't even see race. We hung out with a black family while he played with their kids, then later some Cubans and their kids... there was never any tension there, we were all at the beach having a good time... it makes me angry and sad that social justice warriors are doing their damnedest to pit us against each other for no real reason. I get that people of color face different challenges than others, and it sucks so much. It just really makes me mad when people perpetuate and parrot that bullshit rhetoric that keeps this getting worse and worse... I liked those people we hung out with today. I'd hate to find myself at odds with them over nothing.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:36 pm

Feydakin wrote:I was at the beach today. The kid we're been watching is a talker, and he makes friends with anyone. At five they don't even see race. We hung out with a black family while he played with their kids, then later some Cubans and their kids... there was never any tension there, we were all at the beach having a good time... it makes me angry and sad that social justice warriors are doing their damnedest to pit us against each other for no real reason. I get that people of color face different challenges than others, and it sucks so much. It just really makes me mad when people perpetuate and parrot that bullshit rhetoric that keeps this getting worse and worse... I liked those people we hung out with today. I'd hate to find myself at odds with them over nothing.

word, reading that made me smile and i felt like i needed that atm. :) the innocence of children. much of society could learn so much from them.. i know as soon as i step out to go to work, all that im going to hear is anger, fear and resentment, given the recent falcon heights murder, so im going to anchor to your story and spread it throughout the day. maybe i can change some frames...

Psy
Neck Veins & Deep Inner Bellows...

Postby Psy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:04 pm

And this is why I only care if you're a cunt or not. It's not like im gonna catch a case of Melanin Darkening
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:16 pm

I know for a fact that I have ancestors who owned slaves and those who were slaves. So what? Those are true statements for literally everyone of every race.

I also know that I was raised to accept people for who they are.

Sure those who raised me had a paternal view of responsibility to African Americans. Is it condescending? Maybe a little but not mean spirited. Was it racially motivated? I don't think so. They had that same view of responsibility for people who lived in deep poverty or difficult circumstances.

As much as I detest what Christianity has become there was a time when it was your duty to raise up other people and I for one still hold that view- no church required. I have had the hand up given to me. I have to give it where needed.

I know the in-justice system has a hard on for people of color. I am happy to be part of the solution when I can figure out how to assist. I think we all need a clear path to mutual respect and acceptance. Those are gifts of the heart that one can give and another receive but it does require both side to participate.

Funny story- I go to community planning meeting a couple of times a year. The was a 70-80 year old black woman ranting about teenagers walking down the middle of the street in groups. She was sure they were gangs. The community police liaison made appeasing noises. My comment after he was done "I think everyone walks in the street- the sidewalks are so uneven they are less safe than the streets." In that moment I was able to stretch and see both sides. I think that has to be part of our mutual solutions.
Image Image
est 1953

bigsexywzp
the unproven

Postby bigsexywzp » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:38 am

I'm not going to lie, I feel like we make these issues more complicated than they should be, and that helps perpetuate fear and hate. The more complicated we make things? The more walls we throw up and division we sow, intentionally or not. Yes, the world is complicated on its own, but I feel like we also have a tendency to overcomplicate things. You start bringing words like "power structure" or saying that racism can only happen to people when they're in the minority groups? People tune out. They don't get it. Hell, I barely grasp it.

We only really see what happens in our small, local circles. We live locally, in spite of having national and global communities. We only travel in limited groups. So, for the white kid who lives in a minority neighborhood, and who only really sees people who have a different skin color from themselves in their day to day life? It's hard for them not to feel like they're the subject of racism when they're picked on or mocked for the color of their skin, or because they do things differently than the people that they are surrounded by. Based on the limits of their experiences? They are the minority. They have no power in the local sense.

I don't think it's fair to say that minorities do not have the power to implement and reinforce racist beliefs. Power is not just exerted on a global or national scale. At least not in the US. You have several levels of government that all function independently and together at the same time. Certain groups may not have dominant power in the national sense, but they still have a firm grasp or strong footing when it comes to wielding local or even state power.

That said: I'm a white guy. I have no problems with people of any color, race, religion, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, etc. I will never know what it's like to be a black male when the blue lights flash in the rear view mirror. I will never know what it's like to be refused an interview because of my "ethnic" name. I don't know what it's like to be a black woman in a world where racism and sexism exist. Where someone can hate you for the color of your skin and disrespect you because they think you're overstepping the role they think your sex or gender is supposed to be in society.

This world is too fucked up and complicated not to stand with, respect, and love people who aren't exactly like me. You write people off because of what they believe, how they look, or who they love? You're going to end up alone and lonely.
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:00 pm

I thought I'd come back bumping this thread. A friend of mine has me watching The Breakfast Club series of interviews and around minute 39, Marc Lamont Hill talks about the differentiation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDOB9uLGvME
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:57 pm

:!:

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:46 pm

cerrodepedro wrote:I thought I'd come back bumping this thread. A friend of mine has me watching The Breakfast Club series of interviews and around minute 39, Marc Lamont Hill talks about the differentiation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDOB9uLGvME

the fact that he is so articulate, speaks volumes. so often i am dismissed as crazy or the fool, in everyday encounters with these types of topics of discussion, and eventually i fade into the background. this brings some semblance of comfort to me, even to a place where i dont feel so alone. it carries even more weight because you brought it to the table... so for that, i am grateful. thank you man! i needed this /bandit

Return to “C&D”