Aamer Rahman (Fear of a Brown Planet) - Reverse Racism

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Aamer Rahman (Fear of a Brown Planet) - Reverse Racism

Postby Corgimom » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:23 pm

Image Image
est 1953

Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:05 pm

I despise the term "reverse racism". Racism is hate. Anyone can hate someone else. Black can hate white. White can hate yellow. Yellow can hate brown. Brown can hate black. Apologies (not really) if I've missed someones special unique flower colour. Trying to say that only white people can be racist is a pile of shit.

If you are hateful towards another race of people that are different than your own race of people, you are a racist.
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Pretty much what Pawly said. It's a non-term, meaningless. Racism is racism. Hate is hate. And double standards are double standards, but I can't say that because it makes me a "racist"... but look at all the fucks I don't give... just look at them all.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Feydakin wrote:Pretty much what Pawly said. It's a non-term, meaningless. Racism is racism. Hate is hate. And double standards are double standards, but I can't say that because it makes me a "racist"... but look at all the fucks I don't give... just look at them all.

Dude thats exactly what a white guy would say! Thankfully i'm more light cappuccino coloured so I can say it.
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Shumaza
ninja with training wheels

Postby Shumaza » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:38 pm

AliceElite
//wrestles darkness...WINS!

Postby AliceElite » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:51 pm

The thing is is that racism is not just hating another race - it's also the systems that are in place that perpetuate the cycle of hate and oppression that POC face.

And, no, white people AREN'T victimized by institutionalized racism. They do not feel the effects of racism like POC do. Full stop. It doesn't happen in the western world. So, yes, reverse racism is bullshit - but it is bullshit because white people aren't victims of a systemic and oppressive racist power dynamic tracing back to slavery and before.

Like, white people literally made the rules, said, 'we own these black people cuz they might as well be animals". Then, when black people were like "Actually, we're people too," white people were like "fine but you have to follow our rules." Black people agreed, even though these rules weren't made for them or with their input at all, they have historically had no say in the laws or the way our culture was shaped. In fact, they have had to bring themselves up to par with the white people that had several hundred years of a head start in a game of white people's own design, in a culture designed specifically to marginalize them and keep them outside of 'civilized' and privileged spaces.

Racism is not hating black people, anymore, not really. Racism is forcing black people to assemble a puzzle with half the pieces and expect to get a well rounded and completed picture.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:40 pm

The fact that so many SJWs decided that racism doesn't apply to "White People" is a large reason why there is so much racial tension in the west... it's a load of bullocks as our British friends would say.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
AliceElite
//wrestles darkness...WINS!

Postby AliceElite » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:11 am

but...there does not exist racism to the degree that POC face it. Like....white people DON'T have to deal with institutionalized and systematic racism. White people don't get shoveled into the prison industrial complex because of minor drug charges, they get let off with a warning. White people don't get aggressively and violently profiled because of their race. White people don't have to deal with microaggressions, we don't have to deal with people pushing us to the margins of society, white people don't suffer from a lack of representation in media....the list goes on.

The reason there's so much racial tension is that for 300 years we have had systems in place that have been designed to keep poc and black people specifically (in the US) outside the power structures that created and governed society and culture and we still to this day refuse to dismantle them.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:44 pm

I think we all need to grow thicker skin and stop re acting to racially motivated hateful words.
Image Image
est 1953

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:32 pm

This thread needs more knowledge.. i shall return equipped
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:13 pm

Maybe all the disproportionately numerous dead people of color is the reason for so much racial tension in the west. Pardon the snark, but fuuuuuuck, it's real. For me, yeah, reverse racism is meh. I'm comfortable saying that white folks can't exactly be called victims of racism, not really, and from a social justice point of view, I think there is a deliberate point to that.

I think how a lot of nationalist Japanese folks view a lot of Chinese people or Ryukyu people or Ainu people is evidence that the experience of making racism and oppressing through racism is not necessarily exclusive to white folks. Maybe we need more specific terms. I detest the "well this is all just semantics" sentiment. Semantics are important. Language we use is important. I think the human experience merits a more subtle approach. 7 billion or so macroorganisms who comprise the same species and sit at the top of the food chain are going to be more than just an amorphous globule of saps holding hands and singing "Kumbaya" and more than just a bunch of predators trying to cannibalize one another.
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:45 pm

its a lot more than words.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:46 pm

ink wrote:This thread needs more knowledge.. i shall return equipped

word... not going to front... lots of bullshit in here.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:47 pm

cerrodepedro wrote:Maybe all the disproportionately numerous dead people of color is the reason for so much racial tension in the west. Pardon the snark, but fuuuuuuck, it's real. For me, yeah, reverse racism is meh. I'm comfortable saying that white folks can't exactly be called victims of racism, not really, and from a social justice point of view, I think there is a deliberate point to that.

^^this.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:03 pm

the reasons for the PHILOS.. perfect!

Psy
Neck Veins & Deep Inner Bellows...

Postby Psy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:48 pm

As Alice said "In the Western World" as targeting against white people for the actions of their ancestors is prominent on the African continent, Middle East, Asia just all countries and regions without the media levels of the US/Canada/UK
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:19 am

ok first off, lets become a bit educated on the subject.

Ethnocentrism

is a type of "our" culture vs "their" culture in terms of thinking about the beliefs, values, and practices of others. everyone initially has this. its attempting to evaluate the practices of other cultures on the basis of our own perspective. Sociologist William Graham Sumner (1906) coined the term ethnocentrism to refer to the tendency to assume that one's own culture and way of life represent what's normal or are superior to all others.

Prejudice

Prejudice is a negative attitude toward an entire category of people, often an ethnic or racial minority.
ex. if you resent your roommate because he or she is sloppy, you are not necessarily guilty of prejudice. however, if you immediately stereotype your roommate on the basis such characteristics of race, ethnicity or religion, that is a form of prejudice. prejudice tends to perpetuate false definitions of individuals and groups. sometimes, ethnocentric people judge other cultures by the standards of their own group without taking into account the perspectives and experiences of others. this often leads to prejudice against cultures they veiw as inferior.

listen to this now, this next set is important..

racism
one important and widespread ideology that reinforces prejudice is racism - the belief that one race is supreme and all others are innately inferior. Such beliefs may exist even if they are not explicitly stated as part of society's dominant values. People claim not to be prejudiced, affirming principles such as equal opportunity, yet many fail to put these ideals to practice.

Minority Group

A subordinate group whose members, even if they repesent a numeric majority, have significantly less control or power over the their own lives then the members of a dominant or majority group have over theirs.

Discrimination

Prejudice often leads to discrimination - the denial of opportunities and equal rights to individuals and groups because of prejudice or other arbritray reasons. Whereas prejudice is a way of thinking, discrimination involves action. Imagine that a White corporate president with a prejudice agaisnt Asian Americans has to fill an executive position and that the most qualified candidate for the job is a Vietnamese American. If the president refuses to hire this candidate and instead selects an inferior White candidate, she or he is engaging in an act of racial discrimination.

Discrimnatory Behavior

Prejudiced attitudes should not be equated with discrimnatory behavior Although the two are generally related, they are not identical; either condition can be present without the other. A prejudiced person does not always act on his or her biases. The White president, for ex., might choose-despite her or his prejudices-to hire the Vietnamese American because that person is the most qualified. That would be prejudice without discrimination. On the other hand, a White corporate president with a completely respectful view of Vietnamese Americans might refuse to hire them for executive posts out of fear that biased clients would take their business elsewhere. In that case, the president's action would constitute discrimination without prejudice.

so lets review..

- ethnocentrism - my daddy can beat up your daddy..

- prejudice - negative attitude towards an entire catergory of people

- racism - an ideology/belief system of one supreme race, all others inferior

- minority - in regards to power or control

*quoted because i paraphrased from my SOC book (2012) author is Jon Witt, which was built by research and grounded through scholarship, designed to educate and sharpen the mind. so each one, reach one, teach one.. right?!
plus, it cost me a grip so this book is mine forever.. :D

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:30 am

:lol:

with regard to the opening post, that was actually hilarious.. but you have to view this in terms of power and control over ones life. think about it. a dominant system, by design, already in place... and yet many still argue equity. come on, dont be blind. and if one does not see clearly, never fear... i have plenty of nuggets i will feed into this thread. ;)

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:26 am

You post so good Ink. I was doing a bate and switch with a funny video. Of course history books are written by the dominant culture and leave out indigenous people and the disenfranchised.
Image Image
est 1953

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Re: Reverse racism

Postby ink » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:16 am

ofc! I saw an opening and i took it..

//teaching moment

cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:30 pm

How I imagine Ink right now (as a ninja instructor):

Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:29 pm

oh i got more :D

*aahem* "students take your seats, class is about to begin..."

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Next i will provide examples to help with further insight

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:51 am

Is reverse racism when you hate your own race and think everyone else's race is better? Am I doing it right? ;)

If we keep blaming each other for the sins of our fathers humanity will never move forward...
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:11 pm

Feydakin wrote:Is reverse racism when you hate your own race and think everyone else's race is better? Am I doing it right? ;)

If we keep blaming each other for the sins of our fathers humanity will never move forward...

i understand your frustration. imagine having a parent, from one side of the fence and one from the other. and regardless of the fronts that both sides of the family put up, its still a thing. and thats before you step out into the world.

as for reverse racism... no, those are some effects of racism. the 'reverse' part is alluding to the calling of attention of prejudice from a minority group to that of a dominant one. i have no idea who started it, but my guess it was probably someone, who was of white descent, got tired of hearing the rantings of an angy black man and im sure wanted equity in some form. who really knows tho, because i dont feel like googling into another endless rabbit hole.
but it really is not even a proper label. i do wnat to delve into this, but for the purpose of keeping information in some type of order, i want to come back to this later and shed some light on it.. *******
when dealing with minority groups, more often than not, prejudice (thinking) occurs and even sometimes discrimination (action), but there are some instances of discrimination on the part of someone from a minority group who practices, but this might be due to the minority group being of a greater numeric value vs someone from the majority group. i'll give you an example, and i know this is happening a lot more frequently, but lets say a white boy moves into a impoverished Detriot neighborhood. predominantly black, indian, hispanic.. gets bullied, exploited, ostracized within the community, demonized in school by peers, etc.. this would be an example of prejudice thinking played out by way of discrimination, or possibly enthrocentrism, that perpetuates prejudice. its not racism, because there was never a system in place to implement and reinforce racist beliefs.. i hope this is making sense.

now what you are actually thinking of, is the after-effects of a racist system. its called self hate. almost every single person of color (POC ~ i love that term btw.. :D ) wrestles with this. it is quite hard to overcome an ideology like this when society operates comfortably within it, almost as a norm. youve probably heard of the term 'uncle tom' it basically means, that a member of the black community (minority group) has actually assimilated to the body of the white community (majority group). now again, the 'minortiy' and 'mojority' im referencing, is still in terms of power and control.

Assimilation:

Assimilation is a process whereby people of a culture learn to adapt to the ways of the majority culture. There is a loss of one’s own culture as a person gives more value to the cultural aspects of the majority community in the process of assimilation.

*now let me just finish with this.. all racism has to do with two vital elements. fear and igonrance. many fear what they do not understand, therefor they feel threatend, so it is so easy to hate others differences and spout ignorance. i worte a paper years ago on it, but in essence, my solution dealt with education and diversification. which is why im here, spreading knowledge. the blade must be sharp in order to properly extract and cut out the hate from people who do not understand, without destroying them... because in the end, ignorant and scared people, are still people too. :)

Return to “C&D”