Racist Words?

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:02 am

About 10 years ago, back when gay.com had free chat rooms, I told the following story-

When I was about 4 I was at least 1/2 monkey. If it could be climbed I climbed it and as I was a tiny child I often looked for ways to climb to see over things. One afternoon I climbed the column on my grandmother’s stoop/porch. High enough to touch the ceiling

I could see across the hill to tell if my friend was home. I had just got there when my ass and my back were stabbed with fire. I screamed and screamed but I couldn’t move.

My Mammy came running yelling ‘Yeller jackets’ and wrapped me in a towel to take me down. I didn’t pass out but all I can remember is the pain and then she had be across her lap pulling out stingers. This was a new pain. One stinger removed with needle and tweezers, then a cotton ball of witch hazel. It felt like she was skinning me.

My screams changed from ahhhh to words. “I hate you, why are you hurting me. stop, I am going to tell, I wasn’t bad, why are you hurting me… “ I have no idea how long it went on but when it was all over she held me in her arms with no weight on my bottom or lower back and rocked me until I fell into a fitful sleep. Every time I came to I was embarrassed I didn’t have any panties on, Just a tea towel over me that she re wet and changed.

It was in Gay.com that I heard all about the word Mammy being racist from a pretty wealthy Canadian white woman.
To me the word was never more than what you called your black granny. It was respectful and loving. When she got to my Grannys house she always said come give your mammy a hug.

Back then I was taught that the polite word was Nigra and not to say the other N word even when other people might. I guess I was 6 or 7 when Maudy’ki explained that one was an insult meant to imply lazy shiftless and other mean things. I promised I would not use that bad word and filed it among the great mysteries I might understand when I got older.

Words have power but often we as white society get it twisted. Mammy is just Mammy and when used as a term of endearment is just that. Most words can be twisted to hate by the tone and circumstance.

I have a few more to go into. Maybe you do too?
Image Image
est 1953

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:07 am

People that are too young to have grown up with words like that used in colloquial English really have no place to say anything about it... Just about anything can be twisted to mean something derogatory if you say it right and in the right context. I also believe that just because a word can be used in a derogatory manner doesn't mean that it is wrong to say it under any context. That is PC rubbish.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:17 am

Gyp means to con or steal by dishonesty. It comes from the word Gypsy. Seems pretty hateful to me.
Image Image
est 1953

Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:23 am

such a great thread. I will be back.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:25 am

Uppity refers to people who don't 'know thier place' Certainly applied to black folk in the south way back but often applied to women and even servents.
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:00 am

I am not the PC word police- somebody else has to have more.
Image Image
est 1953

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:05 pm

hmm, i have something of value to add to this thread.. i will be back when i can formulate the words properly and give this the attention this deserves. but interesting. yes, i will return
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:08 am

The thing is I had this really nice post written out about this.. because you know I grew up in the South. I was taught what I could say and what I could not say. I was told that I could not call anyone a bad name.. Then I moved to a place where racism ran rampant and I was called an N-word lover (sorry, still can't even type it out). All because I got black folks in my family and I refuse to disown them or do bad things to them because they married a black guy and had kids.

The kicker is the KKK was big in this area, or at least the Hate Groups, hell if anything NC tends to give one hell of a lesson on the history of the KKK because the state has such an issue with them. That does not mean that the issue has fixed itself, but education is key. In order to make sure that people do not become racist assholes, the only way to fix it is education.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Re: Racist Words?

Postby Corgimom » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:47 pm

Speaking of the KKK-

The word kike is used as an ethnic slur against jews but it is a fairly modern slur that starts on Elis Island. The illiterate migrating from from Europe used an x to sign their documents. Jews took the X as a cross and used an O . The Yiddish word for "circle" is kikel and eventually the word was shortened to kike.

source Leo Rosten
Image Image
est 1953

Charmosa
God

Postby Charmosa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:51 pm

I had to look up the word jigaboo. I had never heard it, to my knowledge. But it came to my head when I was trying to get creative with pet names. I didn't want to use the overused boo or bae, and I already use sweetie baby, darlin, etc. I thought, wait, is that where boo comes from? Jigaboo? I was assured that it was NOT a pet name, but a racial slur. Boo probably came from boy or boyfriend or baby. I don't know. I looked up the word and it said it was related to bugaboo, and that was also racial. My mom called us kids little bugaboos and I know she didn't mean it as racial. Maybe not knowing obscure slurs and finding them cute is genetic??
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:27 pm

Bugaboo? I have never heard it used as a racial slur. I always thought it was a tall tale type scary monster. Never heard it used any other way except as the name for over priced baby prams.
Image Image
est 1953

Candeeoke
The Quiet Storm

Re:

Postby Candeeoke » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:28 pm

Corgimom wrote:Gyp means to con or steal by dishonesty. It comes from the word Gypsy. Seems pretty hateful to me.

G*psy is a derogatory term as well. I used to say it lovingly until I learned about the Roma people. They are still looked down upon and have been openly persecuted for years. I've been told by Roma people that they are okay with it. That's fine for them - I'm not about to tell someone else how to feel but I decided to stop using it and I try to educate people so maybe they will too.

Words are definitely powerful and evolving! I find it fascinating.
ImageImage
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:24 pm

Agreed. Murphys village South Carolina is the home of the Irish traveler community. We literally road the same school bus with the grammar school traveler kids The kings house was just the coolest thing I had ever seen with a concrete fountain and statues of bible people.
Image Image
est 1953

Return to “C&D”