Ninja Forum vs The Facebook

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Re: Ninja Forum vs The Facebook

Postby Phara » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:24 am

bumping for myself to read on the ride to work
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:28 am

man it would be a dream to have a ninja button next to that fb button on all those pages. it's ease of use is formidable. feeds the lazy. including myself on many occasions. I've tried to turn my fb'ing into ninja advertising and memes.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Phara wrote:man it would be a dream to have a ninja button next to that fb button on all those pages. it's ease of use is formidable. feeds the lazy. including myself on many occasions. I've tried to turn my fb'ing into ninja advertising and memes.

its by design. that form follows function. its easier to sheeple the masses if they dont have to think
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:07 pm

I'm one of those awful ppl that live on fb. I post non stop daily. Feydakin said it first, its how you use it. I'm extremely isolated so I use fb groups as a means to stay connected. I crochet so I joined a ton of crochet groups for inspiration, free patterns & to connect with others who share the hobby. I'm big on metal, finding local unsigned bands & following them on the road to fame is fun.I've joined a ton of groups focused on music I like. I've been able to add a few of you on fb so I'll apologize now I'm sorry for flooding the feed with nonsense instead of picking up a hook & making something worth posting here.

The drawbacks to fb are exponential we've all seen something at some point thats triggered negative emotions.
Most of us have encountered trolls,
Most of us had to block, unfriend, unfollow
But the upsides can outweigh the downsides if you are polite, responsible & tailor your friends list to include like-mannered ppl. Ull have a better experience. The thing about fb is there's soooooooooo many ppl on there & a ton of them are decent ppl so why waste time on ppl w/ bad intentions? Stick with the ppl u like & fuck the rest
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
Mr. 26
:-|

Postby Mr. 26 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Facebook is bullshit
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:14 am

seemed appropriate for this thread
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
TRACINGHOOKERS
the unproven

Postby TRACINGHOOKERS » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:46 am

whats Facebook?
JUBJUBJUBJUBJUBJUBJUBJUBJUB
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:01 pm

:giggle:

Phara wrote:Image

this is also a product of being a bit of an introvert...i'm going to guess that she might be. if you listen to other folks' problems for the most part and rarely share your own, you're most likely introverted. and since Farcebook is all about The Me Show, introverts find the same thing happens online as it does off.
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:11 pm

NaranjaRa wrote::giggle:

this is also a product of being a bit of an introvert...i'm going to guess that she might be. if you listen to other folks' problems for the most part and rarely share your own, you're most likely introverted. and since Farcebook is all about The Me Show, introverts find the same thing happens online as it does off.

Holy shit this actually explains a great deal
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
merlin
ninja with training wheels

Postby merlin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:53 pm

I honestly Fucking Love Facebook's Technology. When i'm here I reminds me that 10 years have past and Forums need a solid update to the visual. Or at the very least a nice mobile view (>")>

It's really fun for me to be able to directly Troll people. Hear me out, I like to use Photo's and videos to get my idea across. Freaks people out when they post something ridiculous and somebody makes a video reply to them. It's an extension of your identity and a live record of your actions, thoughts, actions, etc. Some folks are afraid of that level detail, Some folks like to be able to hide behind a persona because it's like our default. 10 years ago forums where the default because the internet was still a very open shared system. This thing we have now is more huge virtualized entangled mess that looks like a control point game than a network. Centralized networks like TV channels. We used to search for things, now we are just reposting the same old content and being feed our information. That's why i embraced it and just post on it all the time. If there is going to be a story written about me I was to make sure I'm putting out the content that I want. Sure people will try to use it against me but I get to curate me content. It's brought a new level of ability to screenshot and troll things people say because it's so easy to do now. People are afraid of it because they don't fully understand it.

I know my tribe spans the globe because Everyone is me and I am everybody, in different frames of time reference interacting in the cosmic song.
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:16 am

NaranjaRa wrote::giggle:

/flame
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:25 pm

merlin wrote:...When i'm here I reminds me that 10 years have past and Forums need a solid update to the visual.

The fuck?
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:04 am

merlin wrote:I honestly Fucking Love Facebook's Technology. When i'm here I reminds me that 10 years have past and Forums need a solid update to the visual. Or at the very least a nice mobile view (>")>

It's really fun for me to be able to directly Troll people. Hear me out, I like to use Photo's and videos to get my idea across. Freaks people out when they post something ridiculous and somebody makes a video reply to them. It's an extension of your identity and a live record of your actions, thoughts, actions, etc. Some folks are afraid of that level detail, Some folks like to be able to hide behind a persona because it's like our default. 10 years ago forums where the default because the internet was still a very open shared system. This thing we have now is more huge virtualized entangled mess that looks like a control point game than a network. Centralized networks like TV channels. We used to search for things, now we are just reposting the same old content and being feed our information. That's why i embraced it and just post on it all the time. If there is going to be a story written about me I was to make sure I'm putting out the content that I want. Sure people will try to use it against me but I get to curate me content. It's brought a new level of ability to screenshot and troll things people say because it's so easy to do now. People are afraid of it because they don't fully understand it.

I know my tribe spans the globe because Everyone is me and I am everybody, in different frames of time reference interacting in the cosmic song.

i agree that we need a mobile solution and we've been looking for the right one. but other than that, visuals should be at a lower priority than the content itself. and the community is what creates and then nurtures that content. what you speak of is pretty much exactly what we (as the Ninja Community) are building up to counter-act; the idea that everything is about the "Me" instead of the "We". you just said in a nutshell that you embraced the format of FB so that you can control the content of YOUR story..."curate me content."

on the boards we're more interested in the We...what We can create when We pool our talents, our minds, and engage in an ongoing, lengthy discussion about any & everything without it being "pushed down the feed-wall" and lost the next day in the continued onslaught of posts. no, the forum is not flashy, it's not push-button easy, and you actually have to interact with folks versus just posting in your own bubble. and not by trolling or creating negativity. the forum format forces us to slow down, think a bit more, compose our thoughts with care in order to communicate on a mutual level of respect.

it's not a competition, it's not a game. this is something that some of us are making our LIVES, as we once did all those years ago.

and it's still a work in-progress, with emphasis on progress for the community as a whole. but knowing what this group of people have been able to accomplish, and now being older and (hopefully) wiser, it will be amazing. /nod

Farcebook is a tool, not a lifestyle. i use it to sell stuff and talk sense into family members with backwards viewpoints. other than that, i could give a shit... ;-)
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:55 pm

NaranjaRa wrote:
merlin wrote:I honestly Fucking Love Facebook's Technology. When i'm here I reminds me that 10 years have past and Forums need a solid update to the visual. Or at the very least a nice mobile view (>")>

i agree that we need a mobile solution and we've been looking for the right one. but other than that, visuals should be at a lower priority than the content itself. and the community is what creates and then nurtures that content. what you speak of is pretty much exactly what we (as the Ninja Community) are building up to counter-act; the idea that everything is about the "Me" instead of the "We". you just said in a nutshell that you embraced the format of FB so that you can control the content of YOUR story..."curate me content."

on the boards we're more interested in the We...what We can create when We pool our talents, our minds, and engage in an ongoing, lengthy discussion about any & everything without it being "pushed down the feed-wall" and lost the next day in the continued onslaught of posts. no, the forum is not flashy, it's not push-button easy, and you actually have to interact with folks versus just posting in your own bubble. and not by trolling or creating negativity. the forum format forces us to slow down, think a bit more, compose our thoughts with care in order to communicate on a mutual level of respect.

it's not a competition, it's not a game. this is something that some of us are making our LIVES, as we once did all those years ago.

and it's still a work in-progress, with emphasis on progress for the community as a whole. but knowing what this group of people have been able to accomplish, and now being older and (hopefully) wiser, it will be amazing. /nod

Farcebook is a tool, not a lifestyle. i use it to sell stuff and talk sense into family members with backwards viewpoints. other than that, i could give a shit... ;-)

Amen.
merlin
ninja with training wheels

Postby merlin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:16 pm

cerrodepedro wrote:
merlin wrote:...When i'm here I reminds me that 10 years have past and Forums need a solid update to the visual.

The fuck?

You know, I feel I started using forms like this 10 years ago. I was just talking about how the visual hasn't really changed much. Guess I'm just used to looking at the fancy. Some people are are ok with the same old same old. Nothing wrong with an opinion right?

NaranjaRa wrote:

Sure the community does create the content, but as we have seen in the last few years you can't just forgo the visual. It's part of the content and how it is processed. Like the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Always the same fight, idea, just updated thru the ages.

I was more talking about individually curating your own content. That is the majority of what happens on a Board. People post content, and it is spoken upon. If you post back on content or what some would consider to be "troll" content it's based on a person curation. Everything is is based in the "me", the I am that is you. No matter where you are posting you content, you are still pushing your personal Narrative.

The We, is a community like ninja.They work together to create content based on their personal experience that fall under that "rules" or "promote" they have been given to write about. I believe many times on boards personal dogma and opinion can be counteractive a growing community of people. We can't shy away from the me that exist within because more often that not that personal me feeling is affected an people are subjected to it. We are the community but the community is not me. We fight for a goal, but not my goal. That sorta thing.

I said I embraced the facebook format because I wanted to, and now I can effectively manage the platform and use it for business and live. I grew with the platform/program much in that same way people grew with forums and how they love them.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:02 am

merlin wrote:
cerrodepedro wrote:

The fuck?

You know, I feel I started using forms like this 10 years ago. I was just talking about how the visual hasn't really changed much. Guess I'm just used to looking at the fancy. Some people are are ok with the same old same old. Nothing wrong with an opinion right?

NaranjaRa wrote:

Sure the community does create the content, but as we have seen in the last few years you can't just forgo the visual. It's part of the content and how it is processed. Like the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Always the same fight, idea, just updated thru the ages.

I was more talking about individually curating your own content. That is the majority of what happens on a Board. People post content, and it is spoken upon. If you post back on content or what some would consider to be "troll" content it's based on a person curation. Everything is is based in the "me", the I am that is you. No matter where you are posting you content, you are still pushing your personal Narrative.

The We, is a community like ninja.They work together to create content based on their personal experience that fall under that "rules" or "promote" they have been given to write about. I believe many times on boards personal dogma and opinion can be counteractive a growing community of people. We can't shy away from the me that exist within because more often that not that personal me feeling is affected an people are subjected to it. We are the community but the community is not me. We fight for a goal, but not my goal. That sorta thing.

I said I embraced the facebook format because I wanted to, and now I can effectively manage the platform and use it for business and live. I grew with the platform/program much in that same way people grew with forums and how they love them.

as far as the visuals, again, this is just a starting point. there are much bigger & better - and yes, shinier-looking - things on the horizon for this year. including video.

and i get what you are saying...i truly do. especially if you grew up with it. but my issue still stands, however, and my issue lies in the format of FB alone. it has encouraged an increased narcissism in people, an increased propensity towards treating each other like animals...just an increased overall sense of folks just being straight assholes. one would think that having a system *try* to force people to use their real names instead of posting behind anonymous avatars would have reduced this sort of behavior online but instead it's seemed to just foster it and embolden people even more - because now they're Speaking Their Minds (and not just from people using fake names). the format - with it's shiny simple visuals - also totally encourages laziness. just repost and repost and keep recycling other people's thoughts. or better yet, just post memes. no need to use your words at all. same issue i have with Twitter...can't go over 140 characters! people don't even know how to fucking spell complete words anymore!

Return to “C&D”