Ninja Forum vs The Facebook

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
User avatar
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 am

Postby Phara » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:20 am

Image

Image


//discuss
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Image Image
User avatar
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:54 am
Location: Vegas
Contact:

Postby Rivoc » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:28 am

im more used to facebook snce ive been on it more recent than the forum....sadly. i dont mean so much recently as I do over the last 3-4 years as a whole. Damn i hate how much im on fb. BUT THE FORUM, at least im getting something out of it and im proud of what i post, rather than see someones dog and kid that i never really cared about to be poppin up on my shit in the first place.

Id take Anna's art, Pawly's Sports or Spects Sarcasm (or any ninjas sarcasm) over that fake shit any day!!
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Rwn
Missing In Action...
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:57 am
Location: Seattle

Postby Rwn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:30 am

Rwn liked this post.
Image
Rwn
Missing In Action...
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:57 am
Location: Seattle

Postby Rwn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:32 am

This one is interesting.

It seems as though there has been a massive decline in intelligence over the last few years but I don't think that's the truth of the matter.

My beliefs stem from a few things such as twitter, Facebook, and texting. We have gotten used to communicating in as little words as possible, and have grown used to a massive influx of pointless information.

Twitter first made everyone condense an idea down into 140 characters or less, Facebook made it so every little thought no matter how inconsequential was right in your face, and texting destroyed phone conversations.

To get noticed you must make your point quick, entertaining, and keep it moderate for fear of making someone mad.

No longer do we care if someone responds what we want is that "like" we live for it. It has become what coke was to the 1980s.

Why the hell do I care what you had for lunch if you don't even tell me where it was or what you ordered... What am I supposed to do? Go to every single restaurant within a 5 mile radius and show them the picture "did you guys make this?" No that's not the point is it? You want that like, you want that recognition that your still relevant to people's lives.

When the fuck did a digital thumps up become more important than actually having someone take the time to praise you for something?

More to come later
Image
User avatar
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 am

Postby Phara » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:34 am

Rwn wrote:This one is interesting.

It seems as though there has been a massive decline in intelligence over the last few years but I don't think that's the truth of the matter.

My beliefs stem from a few things such as twitter, Facebook, and texting. We have gotten used to communicating in as little words as possible, and have grown used to a massive influx of pointless information.

Twitter first made everyone condense an idea down into 140 characters or less, Facebook made it so every little thought no matter how inconsequential was right in your face, and texting destroyed phone conversations.

To get noticed you must make your point quick, entertaining, and keep it moderate for fear of making someone mad.

No longer do we care if someone responds what we want is that "like" we live for it. It has become what coke was to the 1980s.

Why the hell do I care what you had for lunch if you don't even tell me where it was or what you ordered... What am I supposed to do? Go to every single restaurant within a 5 mile radius and show them the picture "did you guys make this?" No that's not the point is it? You want that like, you want that recognition that your still relevant to people's lives.

When the fuck did a digital thumps up become more important than actually having someone take the time to praise you for something?

More to come later

so perfectly said. /nailed it.

I'm going to come back and wot this bitch soon
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Image Image
joemell
the unproven
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:19 am

Postby joemell » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:30 pm

Wow. Rwn said it perfectly.

I also find it a bit sad that a lot of people/ kids whatever, they get their news from Facebook. Facebook feeds is something ( pls do not quote me on it) that is more what THEY want you to see than what we say we want to
User avatar
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 am

Postby Phara » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:06 pm

[9:05:30 AM] Phara: that thread is awesome
[9:05:36 AM] Phara: fucks sake
[9:05:40 AM] Phara: ninja is making me think smarter again
[9:05:43 AM] Phara: shit's painful
[9:05:50 AM] Phara: i was getting used to facebook grunting
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Image Image
User avatar
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal
Posts: 960
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:20 am
Location: Krynn

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:13 pm

Phara knows my views of Facebook. Over 10ish years, I have slowly seen privacy eroded, and the quality of debate and conversation has degraded. That being said, if you want pictures of my luxurious hair or beautiful ferrets, that's been the place to be.
Image
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 am

Postby Phara » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:58 pm

Honestly... fb people are just straight fucking trash. When the fuck did we just start talking to people this way?

Image
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Image Image
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:36 pm

most of how i feel about it has already been said. but i noticed the disgusting, ugly rude shit on YouTube comments way before it trickled into FB. both formats allow unrestricted trolling, so it brings out the worst in people.

a moderated forum addresses the assholery and destroys it from the get-go, allowing for proper intelligent conversation to continue and flourish past interruption and derailment.
User avatar
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Right Here
Contact:

Postby Feydakin » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:30 pm

Rwn pretty much nailed it, which is why I shunned social media for so long... basically it makes people stupider and nastier. It started way before what we now know as "social media" though. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Postby ink » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:14 pm

to kind of piggyback on what Feydakin was hinting at..

objectively speaking, the difference was/is that the Ninja forums always provided the potentials to have bigger boxes, than any other social outlet... even back before fb and other social networking sites existed, or for that matter, even before any real regulation of comms in a general sense. what happened years ago was likened to setting a standard of innovation, to cross-culturally, internationally unite under one roof, to create.

simply put: our box will always be bigger than theirs
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
BigMush
Drunkin Beta Style
Posts: 530
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:22 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby BigMush » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:16 pm

My internet communication consists mainly of ingame chatting, but with that, i can totally understand.

It does get kinda dumbed down when speed chatting all the time, indeed.
**Awesome Singnature**

ImageImageImageImageImage

Image
User avatar
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 am

Postby Phara » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:21 pm

ink wrote:to kind of piggyback on what Feydakin was hinting at..

objectively speaking, the difference was/is that the Ninja forums always provided the potentials to have bigger boxes, than any other social outlet... even back before fb and other social networking sites existed, or for that matter, even before any real regulation of comms in a general sense. what happened years ago was likened to setting a standard of innovation, to cross-culturally, internationally unite under one roof, to create.

simply put: our box will always be bigger than theirs

i fuckin dig this.
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Image Image
scythe08
the unproven
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:30 pm

Postby scythe08 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:32 am

I don't like FB, but I can't stay off it. I only exist to people online, even to my 'friends' that live in the same city. If I don't stay on. They'll forget about me.

And I'll disappear :(
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Postby ink » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:30 am

yooo.. thats terrible man! serously, FB is killing ppl and they dont even know it. It limits the ability to breathe and create outside of there parameters. its a groth stunter and laboratory full experiments. i mean, i guess i kind of feel strongly about it :lol:
idk, i think thats because i could relate to that statement for the short time i was on it... it kind of feels like a bad trip. ahp well, welcome home my friend. this is freedom..
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
Brewtality
novice ninja
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Tanzania, East Africa

Postby Brewtality » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:47 am

When I signed up here I decided to get rid of the stuff on Facebook which drives me crazy. I love talking to people from different backgrounds and Facebook has people on there from all over the place. Sadly, it seems that having a good conversation is way down peoples' lists of priorities. It seems to be more about angrily shouting your viewpoint at someone else. That's good if it's what you're into but I've noticed that I was letting that piss me off and in turn, I was becoming more like that, so I've just got rid of sites like Huffington Post which is a haven for people who are either out to antagonise at every turn or who think that being 'progressive' is pointing fingers at everyone else and yelling 'RACIST!/SEXIST!/MYSOGYNIST!' at them.

Since I live outside of my home country and am lucky enough to have good friends fro New Zealand to Canada and everywhere in between (no, I don't mean the Pacific Ocean) Facebook is essential for keeping in touch. However, I don't think I've had a single rewarding conversation on there so it's time to get back into the more relaxed, supportive and mutually respectful environment of a forum like this.
Image

Image
User avatar
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 am

Postby Phara » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:08 am

ink wrote:to kind of piggyback on what Feydakin was hinting at..

objectively speaking, the difference was/is that the Ninja forums always provided the potentials to have bigger boxes, than any other social outlet... even back before fb and other social networking sites existed, or for that matter, even before any real regulation of comms in a general sense. what happened years ago was likened to setting a standard of innovation, to cross-culturally, internationally unite under one roof, to create.

simply put: our box will always be bigger than theirs

fucks sake this is literally the perfect combination of words
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Image Image
User avatar
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 am

Postby Phara » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:09 am

ink wrote:yooo.. thats terrible man! serously, FB is killing ppl and they dont even know it. It limits the ability to breathe and create outside of there parameters. its a groth stunter and laboratory full experiments. i mean, i guess i kind of feel strongly about it :lol:
idk, i think thats because i could relate to that statement for the short time i was on it... it kind of feels like a bad trip. ahp well, welcome home my friend. this is freedom..

You see me so clearly it's ridiculouse
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Image Image
User avatar
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 am

Postby Phara » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:11 am

Brewtality wrote: It seems to be more about angrily shouting your viewpoint at someone else. That's good if it's what you're into but I've noticed that I was letting that piss me off and in turn, I was becoming more like that, so I've just got rid of sites like Huffington Post which is a haven for people who are either out to antagonise at every turn or who think that being 'progressive' is pointing fingers at everyone else and yelling 'RACIST!/SEXIST!/MYSOGYNIST!' at them.


fuuuuck. PERFECT.

However, I don't think I've had a single rewarding conversation on there so it's time to get back into the more relaxed, supportive and mutually respectful environment of a forum like this.

YES. THE END. YES.
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Image Image
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:11 am

let's not forget what Facebook began as: a place for douchebags to objectify women by voting who was "hotter" between a pair of two images (FACES).

it has not really ventured that far from its original concept when you really think about it.
User avatar
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:55 pm
Location: NC

Postby Skywalker » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:38 pm

I signed up for Facebook many, many moons ago. Then it was jus groups of college students doing stupid stuff, but nothing else.

Now it has changed, I am not sure for the better, but if I get one more Farmville request.

Today I have a friend on Facebook, who posted an image in which the meme (as it was writen like one), was the image of a man who had his head bashed in. I guess he had stopped durning some protesting, and that the image had put the protesters of the Drumpf rallies with those who beat a man to death (the image looks old, so I am not sure of when it happened). I do need to go onto to Facebook, that is filled with images of my cats, and see a man with his brains all of a roadway. it was a graphic image. So I reported it, not sure that it will get taken down, but one can try.

I find that a lot of time, that even though people names are assoicated with their views, they still say them. Does not matter if they are hatefull or not, they will still share their views. There is nothing wrong with that, but remember that if you state them in such a public way it can come back to hurt you. I have seen teachers fired over posting stupid shit on Facebook. I was threatned not to be rehired when the found out that I can joined a socialist party when I was younger, I had signed a document stating that I was not a commie.


The nice thing about fourms is that there is a level of anomity that comes with it. Sure many may know who you are, but it is still there. It is also easier to follow which is always better.
Image
User avatar
Zombie
Wizard Behind The Curtain
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:10 am

Postby Zombie » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:56 pm

One thing that's pisses me off is the same news article is liked and shared what 8 times a day? From different sources
Image
Image
User avatar
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners
Posts: 9775
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:46 am
Location: A Comfy Chair
Contact:

Postby Pawly » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:36 pm

I was an early adopter of FB and would tell people about it. It was kinda cool back in the day. They laughed at me. Told me, "why would I wanna put pics of myself ONLINE!?". :| Then everyone's Grandmother signed up. I only go on FB occasionally now.
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Syreeta
grasshopper
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:17 pm

Postby Syreeta » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:16 pm

something I wrote spontaneously as a bit of a vent on facebook recently, I have had a love/hate relationship with that medium a long long time.



stage left, some whimsy ~

facebook is a land of its own and it seems to have little room for poetic licence or heart prose, my own language morphs from how I speak into something hideous, vocabulary lost, conversation nil, exploration empty, time wasted, personality watered, passion dulled, depth erased, not even a shadow of life, the beast of this machine chewing people up and dumbing them down into tabloid fodder.

Shallows

its no reflection on people, its built that way, a chew em up and spit them out 'society', a false construct where few breathe or show presence.

including myself, why would I want to put my soul on the line? In a place like this.

I can't imagine anyone thinking they 'know' you from these spaces where so little is given, where even the deep is a painted reality.

If you're not writing for yourself, write for no one.

If you can't write truth, say nothing

if you need an audience leave the stage

The best is allways in the wings anyway, when the halls are emptied and the costumes are seen frayed, torn, shabby under bright lights, and the makeup is melting off.

When the actors are themselves, alive in the sweat of fear or ecstasies, the pains of human frailties, or momentary glories and exultations.

Return to “C&D”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests