Oaxaca teachers' strike and subsequent state-sponsored terro

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:12 pm

So a violent government backlash against striking teachers in southern Mexico (where a lot of cool shit goes down) is buzzing in social media. I posted on Facebook about the irony of racist, xenophobic, nationalist assholes scapegoating Mexican migrants and terming them "other" in their attempts to bolster some fucked up idea of a US American identity given that some of the most incredible fights for freedom and justice in the world go down in Mexico, and facing extreme obstacles. This sort of bravery, and I really want to include this group of people, that of people moving their families north for either survival or a greater chance at happiness, seems to be lost on folks who credit immigrants with having some net negative impact on the general state of the USA.

How the topic relates to USA's political situation I suppose is how we (US Americans) tend to view everything. Anybody have some unique, well-considered-and-formed insights they'd like to share about the political situation in various regions of Mexico? Any specific insights on what's happening in Oaxaca?
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:25 pm

And lest this be perceived as something belonging in the less controversial News section, I think this is worth a read: http://upsidedownworld.org/main/mexico-archives-79/5649-from-within-the-storm-national-indigenous-congress-and-zapatista-communique-on-oaxaca-teacher-protests
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:23 am

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:23 am

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Re: Oaxaca teachers' strike and subsequent state-sponsored terro

Postby cerrodepedro » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Thought I should update this: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/oaxaca-teachers-plan-return-to-classrooms/

Summary: Unionized teachers in Oaxaca are returning to teach their children as the school year begins, but on their own schedule, and registering their dissent using alternative means. Meanwhile folks in the badass state of Chiapas are continuing the general strike. The Mexican government has halted talks, saying they will not engage in dialogue as long as the strike continues. Additionally, the article points out some metrics highlighting the economic impact of the strikes.

Return to “C&D”