Young Turks on Slashing Public Education

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Young Turks on Slashing Public Education

Postby Phara » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:01 am

On education. I can't even say anything. Nailed it in every way.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Re: Young Turks on Slashing Public Education

Postby Corgimom » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:23 pm

You don't want to get me started on what a racket the system of accreditation is.
Image Image
est 1953

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:51 pm

There are SO many things in this country that are FUBAR, and IMO the education system is probably THE most important one to fix first. HOWEVER, the drive to cut school funding IS NOT limited to conservative political policy. There are plenty of liberal politicians that push for it as well. There's just no money in it for either party and the teachers union in particular has no real power to bring to bear in the political arena. It's hard to grasp how people don't get how important education is to fund across the board, from Kindergarten up through higher education. While I do agree with the spirit of what they are saying here, I rarely agree with anything coming from Young Turks... way too progressive liberal for me to get behind.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Lena
the unproven

Postby Lena » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:00 am

This hits home on so many levels.

They mention the cost to attend Berkeley, my alma matter. It makes me want to throw up when I hear it used to cost $650. I spent $12,000 per year when I was there in 2013, and even with pell grants I STILL came out with tens of thousands in debt–and I worked the whole time. WTF is that??? Makes no damn sense.

I agree with you, Feydakin, that the agenda to privatize public education is not exclusively a conservative one, but it tends to be the first thing that conservatives cut - at least in California, where I'm from.

It all comes down to priorities, right? There are plenty of public funds to go around, "we" just choose to spend them elsewhere. And to the Young Turks point about the benefits of an educated populous, there could be even more public funds to go round if we actually educate folks and increase productivity in our economy. It's no secret that there are tectonic shifts in the demand for a skilled labor force, and (public) schools are grossly ill-equipped to prepare folks for what's to come (or what's already here).

What's almost worse is that with rising costs of education and plummeting careers with pensions and benefits etc., it begs the question: do these pricey degrees actually pay off? I mean, unless you're going to the most elite institutions or have some other way to access a meaningful professional network, I actually don't think that all educations are worth the debt.

...as an educator, that last sentence was hard to write. But it's the honest truth. I have a personal commitment to the success of public education, but damn, some days it is haaaaard to feel optimistic.
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:11 pm

wellp, since we are being honest here, ive had to come to terms with that question, back when i was attending college.. and working 2 jobs with grants... /62 so yea i feel that too
i came to the conclusion, a couple years before i was at the close of my college experience that, i wasnt going to graduate because of the shift in the required curriculum, due to budget cuts... but hey, that new 8ft x 8ft marble plaque outside, mounted in the main walkway looks pretty sharp though! /62
needless to say, i adjusted the frame in which i viewed why i was actually attending college and 'racking up' stupid debt. while all around general education was important, i broke it down to two things that seemed to be the capstone of why i attended.. developing my skillset within my current major and networking. these two things, i believe, stood out as what would effectively allow me to be more upwardly mobile. now, dont get me wrong, a degree wouldve been great, but there was no way i could afford to follow all the way through at the time. i guess it remains to be seen whether or not the debt will pay off.. but in hindsight, i just tried to make the best of what i had to work with.. now i feel like, continuing an education feels almost like a privilege rather than a right or opportunity.
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:54 am

"now i feel like, continuing an education feels almost like a privilege rather than a right or opportunity. "

this hurts because it is so true.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image

Return to “C&D”