Am I The Only One Who's Feeling That Sinking Sensation?

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
LeTronique
the unproven

Am I The Only One Who's Feeling That Sinking Sensation?

Postby LeTronique » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:19 pm

I guess a bit of backstory is in order.

Politics has always been a strong part of my life. My mother was a diplomat and made her way to ambassador before retiring and spending her days watching HGTV and the Kardashians. I studied political science for undergrad and grad school and was always subscribed to the belief that there were different kinds of people with different kinds of talents and each person contributed to better society. But most importantly, a desire to seek knowledge would always win out.Ignorance would constantly perish. After Drumpf won, I've found my view shaken and probably destroyed at this point. I actually fear the future of this country. I'm not white so I actually stand to lose my way of life. My girlfriend is getting an IUD, in case Mike Pence, the man who hated Planned Parenthood so much that he caused an AIDS epidemic in a small town in Indiana, decides to outlaw birth control or even worse, abortion. Hate crimes are on the rise in a big way and people ignore facts on a daily basis. The Kremlin is basically celebrating Drumpf's victory and no one cares. In a matter of hours, everyone lost their goddamn minds.

So, here's my question. Am I the only one who actually, seriously, honestly feels like this is it for the USA?
If I know what I know, then losing isn't learning to be lost, its learning to know when you're lost.
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Re: Am I The Only One Who's Feeling That Sinking Sensation?

Postby Phara » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:34 pm

You're not the only one. It seems that a reckoning is in order. I've been having conversations about what "we" as a community need to do now. The plan is to do everything we can as fast as we can to rise up into the class that can affect change. Which can have as many strong voices as it wants, but without money, is destined to fail in this system. For example, Candee and I are seriously planning our own business for 2017. Make money quick before every single opportunity is closed and start using our voice and platform and capital to show the alternative to Drumpf and his ilk.

And honestly, if that fails... make enough money to ex pat.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:40 pm

Short and sweet; No you're not, clearly, but I know for a fact that we'll be fine... I know it might seem easy for me to say, since I'm a white male, but I guarantee you if shit goes down and this administration starts doing things that are unconstitutional and/or unconscionable I will be right there beside everyone else, holding his feet to the fire. I'm not going to get into all my political beliefs right now, but trust me when I say, all the hyperbolic, armageddon rhetoric that the Left has been going into hysterics about for the last year or more is just that, hyperbole.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:27 pm

yeah but this isn't like every cycle when the losing side is all up in arms and spinning the hyperbole mentioned.

Russia is involved this time.

this is wayyyyyyy different. way.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:05 am

not to mention, this entire administration is being set up to destroy everything in place. cabinet members are being strategically added who oppose the very positions they're being given. even SNL commented on this. again, unheard of...never before. so no, it's not ALL hyperbole this time. the rich have made their big power grab and it's not looking very good so far for the rest of us.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:12 am

The evidence that Russia was involved with the hacking of the DNC and the Podesta emails in particular is circumstantial at best. Remember these are the same people who told us Saddam had WMDs, among many, many other things that turned out to be not true via just bad intelligence or outright lies over the years... a fact that many people complained about, particularly the Left, incessantly. Similarly to how Julian Assange and WIkiLeaks was a bastion of truth and justice right up to the point when he started releasing damning facts about Hillary and the DNC. Now to them he is a lying pariah in bed with Putin.

The thing about this is, even IF the Russians were involved, neither the DNC or anyone else has challenged the truth of the material that WikiLeaks released about them. They never have. So in my estimation, truth is truth, no matter where it comes from or what the motivation for bringing it forward is. We have no real evidence that it was the Russians, China, or some lone hacker or hacker group working for no one but themselves. I don't trust any of them.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:12 am

NaranjaRa wrote:not to mention, this entire administration is being set up to destroy everything in place. cabinet members are being strategically added who oppose the very positions they're being given. even SNL commented on this. again, unheard of...never before. so no, it's not ALL hyperbole this time. the rich have made their big power grab and it's not looking very good so far for the rest of us.

Tom Wheeler.
ImageImage
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:00 pm

There is cause for concern. The hacking by Russia and others who influenced the election, when Fox News is now reporting on it and calling out Drumpf for his picks for such as Sec. of State, something is up.

This is not just Democrats screaming foul, there are some really big issues here.

Newsweek just published an article about what is a possibility in a Drumpf Presidency, in that they have figured out how to get the US do, what they want.

HOW DONALD Drumpf'S BUSINESS TIES ARE ALREADY JEOPARDIZING U.S. INTERESTS
BY KURT EICHENWALD ON 12/13/16 AT 6:50 AM

Donald Drumpf hasn’t been sworn in yet, but he is already making decisions and issuing statements to world leaders that radically depart from American foreign policy, all to the benefit of his family’s corporate empire. Because of this, the next president of the United States is already vulnerable to undue influence by other nations, including through bribery and even blackmail. --- Article on Newsweek

How can we not worry about such an underqualified person becoming President, then nominated those around him who are just like him?

Take the CEO of ExxonMobile, who has dealings with Russia that is into the billions, are we to think that he will be a fair and just Sec. of State?

What about the woman who he picked to run the Dept. of Ed., is she somehow the saving grace of public education, since she backs the programs that take public money to pump into private schools and charters.

Take Carson, the guy who once stated that he was not qualified to take a position, decided that he was somehow qualified to run programs such as HUD. He does not believe in the Fair Housing Act. I wonder what he thinks about affordable housing such as HUD or Public Housing apartments?

There are other concerns but time is short today.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:13 pm

Again. There is ZERO actual evidence that Russia hacked anything... Even the CIA personnel that released the report stopped short of certainty, and basically said it was a guess based on circumstantial evidence that supposedly had hallmarks of Russian involvement. The FBI and even others inside the CIA disagree with the findings on this latest report.

This is just a general statement addressed to no one in particular; You know what worries me? When people just take what the government, politicians and the complicit media says at face value, like some brainwashed cultist...

Classic False Flag: The contemporary term false flag describes covert operations that are designed to deceive in such a way that the operations appear as though they are being carried out by entities, groups, or nations other than those who actually planned and executed them.

If you have to ask yourself why they would do something like that, then you might want to ask deeper questions about yourself.

Am I concerned about what is going to happen, choices that the president elect is making? Certainly... but I am hoping that things work out and he succeeds, for the good of us all.
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:55 pm

Tom Wheeler? one man from an administration out the door who has nothing to do with the one we're discussing? is that supposed to wipe away the multiple turdburgers piling into the new White House? "well Obama put someone questionable in his administration!" is not a debate point.

why is evidence important all of a sudden in regards to Drumpf's possible misdealings but not his opposing candidate?
why was the media trusted in regards to every breath about Hillary and especially her *gasp* emails? why did no one cry false flag then??
does it only work if it suits who you support?

false flag is the equivalent of the super-religious denying science by saying it's the work of the devil. you can't even argue or go anywhere with it because it has to do with BELIEF.

more on Russia later...
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:46 am

I mentioned Tom Wheeler because he spent his 30+ year career previous to his appointment to the FCC as CEO and lobbyist for big cable, was put in charge of the FCC, people freaked out, he turned out to be a great advocate for the people and the free and open internet. The same could be the case with the new appointees...

Evidence is always important.

Hillary's emails, etc, are not a false flag because they are real, what she did is real, there was all manner of evidence against her proving that. The fact that the FBI decided not not pursue charges is irrelevant. The vast majority of emails came from the Clinton camp themselves, not even WikiLeaks. It wasn't until later that WikiLeaks released the rest of her emails, including the most recent Podesta emails. Also, as I said, nothing that was brought to light from her emails and the DNC emails was contested as untrue. They are just trying to say that because they might have come from "Russian hackers" that we should just ignore them, and concentrate on defeating the President-elect. I've never trust the media, which is why I research everything to the best of my ability so that I can make as good a judgement as possible. It doesn't matter who they are talking about, they all try to push a narrative to one degree or another. Some are just more blatant about it. Anyone can go to WikiLeaks and read the emails for themselves...

"False Flag" describes the Lefts motivations for concocting and pushing a fiction about "Russian hackers". It requires no blind faith, the evidence is there, the motivation is clear. It's all just a distraction. Smoke and mirrors. It'll be proven false and the media might offer a last page retraction like they did with the vote hack nonsense and the recount, then they'll move on to the next bit of fiction they want to push...
ImageImage
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:04 pm

As a historian, we live off of Evidence, but we also understand that in 10 years we might actually have the answer. Until then all we have are news reports and what the government is willing to release. We can use the past in a hope to understand the present and the future, but even that is currently foggy.

Why are more people NOT upset that the major political parties of the United States were hacked? The RNC was also hacked, but their information was not released, why were people had such a hard-on for Clinton to fail? Hell, she is not perfect, but even if she got impeached for illegal shit in office, at least her running mate was not a racist, gay hating, bury abortions asshole. This was an election between Evil 1 and Evil 2; one of them was going to win. To state that a third party was going to win, yeah that will never happen.

That is what I worry about, what will happen if Drumpf is impeached or has to resign? We get his VP Pick, who is a man just as evil or more so, he understands how the government runs. Here is to hoping that Pence does not have any power, other than the tie-breaking vote.

We get Evil #1, the person who has decided that those who paid for election get offices within the White House. That it is okay to put a racist white person within steps of the Oval Office. Hell, Drumpf is not even willing to give a press conference. Instead, we get a view of Drumpf Towers lobby, as we watch like it is a fucken TV show, who will see the Grand Leader next? That is what it is starting to feel like.

While the Hacking aspect might be a distraction, even I can see that one. I wonder what ties Drumpf and his so-called cabinet picks have to the international business community.

Here is the introduction to an article by Ronald L. Feinman historian who wrote a piece for the History News Network - Donald Drumpf’s Selling the White House to Corporate America

It is now clear, a month after the election of Donald Drumpf, that he is willing and able to sell the power of the Presidency to the most corrupt, right-wing influences of the corporate world and defense contractors, along with the most extremist right-wing forces imaginable on issues such as health care, the environment, education, workers rights, civil rights and civil liberties.His appointments so far are shockingly more extreme than at any point in all of American history. Dwight D. Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, and Ronald Reagan certainly were influenced by the corporate world and defense industries, but not to the extreme extent that is now evident after just one month of President-Elect Drumpf’s shaping of the future government.

This is what keeps me up at night, the appointments by Drumpf. Will they be confirmed by the Senate?

Then there are stories such as this - Yahoo News

President-elect Donald Drumpf blasted “NBC Nightly News” as “biased, inaccurate and bad,” adding another twist to his bizarre relationship with the network continues.
Drumpf apparently didn’t like an NBC segment that showed excerpts of his “Fox News Sunday” interview with Chris Wallace in which he said he rejects CIA findings regarding Russia hacking the election and opts not to receive daily intelligence briefings.

How can the future President not understand how important the intelligence beliefs are to him and the understanding of the United States on an international stage? He ha already trashed the CIA, caused Lockheed Stock to go down, because of the F-35, hell Cheery Point, a Marine Airstation is worried because they have been selected for the new F-35s (Marine Version or Navy Version I'll have to check). The comments on that one are just how Drumpf played a good game about loving the military and this is the first show of how much he does not love the military. It was odd comments on Facebook. They provide good insight to how the people in the area is thinking.

Is Drumpf saying these things on Twitter to crash stock so people can go in and buy it cheaply?

As for the Russian Hacking - A Times Article on it: http://time.com/4600177/election-hack-r ... ald-trump/

I agree, there is very little public information on the hacking on the DNC or even the RNC. The only ones who know are those with clearance to read the files, we are not those people.

I think that we need to focus more on Trumps picks to help run the government, than the Russian hacking. I doubt we will have a new election (that is a current call by some), it would destroy the confidence that the American people have in our election system. That is something that is more important than who won.

The business people that he has chosen to lead our top office's confirmation, needs to be an actual confirmation and not just lip service why the okay them into the top offices in our government.

I'll be doing my part to fight what is to come. While I pray that the next four years will be easy. I am not stupid either, I have long talks to my mom about what living in the 1980s was like. When my dad lost his job, my mom could not find a job, when poverty was just a way of life. She said that it was hard, but she fears that under Drumpf it will be harder, for those who are the poorest in the United States. There are other things that I worry about, such as Medicare, will the finally privatize it? While this is not Drumpf, I have a feeling that many Republicans think they can do whatever they want to do without anyone calling them out on it.

I am currently fighting comments such as this...

Code: Select all

I'm proud to soon have a #FirstLady who's actually pretty and more human than ape.

#MAGA #AltRight #Melania #MichelleObama #MelaniaTrump

(MAGA = Make America Great Again).

That come from county deputy sheriffs and other members of my current community.

This does not make Drumpf winning any better because now it is open season on just being a shithead. I have already had to defend my sister's kids who have a Spanish last name because their dad is Purto Rican. When you are getting a pre-teen an ID to prove that he is an American Citizen something is fundamentally wrong with this country.

This is all I have for now..

As for those third parties..

[If third parties want to be one day elected to the White House, they need to start working on being elected at the local and state level. Gain a following that way, because if you can fix roads and ensure that education is key, many people will vote for them, no matter the party]

Skywalker
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:39 pm

holy fuck. what amazing posts.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:56 pm

I found this and thought that it would be a good read...

We Have Never Been Liberal: Occidentalist Myths and the Impending Fascist Apocalypse
by Lilith Mahmud

The steady rise of neofascist ideologies in the mainstream of European and American political discourse has caused grave concern among the intelligentsia of countries across the Atlantic. In addition to the violence that such ideologies sanction, their isolationist leanings, and their skeptical refusal of scientific authority, there is another danger that neofascisms pose. This danger, which transcends the particularities of political dissent to affect all of society, is the advent of a crisis of values: a crisis of liberalism. If the apocalyptic tones about the impending American elections are any indication, Donald Drumpf winning the presidency would not be a sign that democracy works, manufacturing consent and rewarding majority votes whether we like it or not. Rather, it would be a sign that the whole political system of liberalism is doomed.

The rest can be found in the link below

Mahmud, Lilith. "We Have Never Been Liberal: Occidentalist Myths and the Impending Fascist Apocalypse." Hot Spots, Cultural Anthropology website, October 27, 2016. https://culanth.org/fieldsights/981-we- ... apocalypse
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Sky has addressed a good deal of what i was going to say. so i'll just add my own little rant now:

i don't think i really expressed what i was trying to get at, mostly because i was posting in haste. my bad.

i'm more familiar with what a false flag is than i've perhaps led on. i have no doubt they exist and have been carried out since men first started scheming behind the scenes. what churns my butter is when people try to use it to push political agendas and play partisan by trying to claim that almost any and every event they can - especially shootings - are FFO's. it used to normally only be referred to by a minority fringe but now it's become something you can find rolling off tonges like any other masses-approved talking point re-played on cable news. and the concept is almost always used by the Right.

this is the last i will say about her, but i mentioned Hillary and her emails more as an example of sheer distraction. without getting into yet another debate about what she did or did not do wrong, the simple fact is that since she first entered the public arena she has been systematically torn down by the opposing side and the general media. for 40 years. although i'm not one to cry that she's merely been a victim of sexism, sadly, she has in a lot of ways right from the start and then especially when she married Bill. now, i don't deny that she's a scumbag. but if this exact same case was happening to someone other than her, and especially a man, it would have more than blown over by now. you know, kind of like General Petraeus, who knowingly mishandled classified info, yet was just being short-listed for...her...old job...???

it's hypocrisy like this that i cannot abide by. but that's what picking a side seems to end up doing to people in some way or another. it makes them wear blinders and eventually speak and act against their own, and everyone as a whole's, best interests. and it's gotten to a point where science doesn't matter. facts and evidence don't matter. the law definitely doesn't matter. and the government and media are only trusted when it conveniently reinforces a certain stance.

but i just don't look at the individual distractions...
i see it ALL as distraction.

the propaganda machine that serves the big money interests has successfully been fine tuned over the past few decades to really keep us divided as a nation to the point where we're literally seeing a 50-50 split on the map at election cycles. and keeping us divided keeps us from focusing on the more crucial problems, most notably all the ways in which the corrupt industries, mega-corporations, and wealthiest families of this world keep the majority of its citizens poor, oppressed, ill, surveiled, and enslaved.

it has caused our priorities to in turn become incredibly flip-flopped and completely out of synch with every facet of how we as human beings develop and what we truly need to not just survive but thrive. society as a whole is a lunatic. instead of being angry at the top 1% wealth-holders who amass millions on the backs of society while wrecking the environment and then do absolutely nothing to contribute anything back or help replenish our resources, we'd rather go on witch-hunts and remove social safety nets because of *all* the welfare recipients who are scamming the system, even as it's already been proven that statistically welfare fraud is extremely low. because eventually *some day* there *might* be a cause to take up arms against a tyrannical government or invading force, we'd rather pass on taking immediate measures to ensure that our very real children don't keep getting shot up in the schools all around us right now. if you investigate the science itself of how humans grow physically, mentally, and emotionally, you begin to recognize that almost every part of our lives in some way or another serves as an obstacle to optimum health, intelligence, and happiness. and the one thing that permeates it all - the one thing that we cannot even begin to obtain the most basic necessities of life without - is money.

so that's what i follow when i look at political issues, because in the end, that is the real incentive behind those in power. government is evil unless it is making money for those at the top. and sadly, this has become for the most part the stance of the Conservative party. not that both major parties aren't bought. but we always seem to experience more wars, economic downfall, and oppression of minorities under the red side of the aisle.

so in essence, the thing that worries me most about Drumpf, is that we cannot follow the money. he won't release his financials, so we have no idea where his interests truly lie. we have no idea what potential conflicts of interest could be steering his policies behind the scenes. and quite frankly, this is what i consider to be the most dangerous factor going on.

this is why i am worried for this country.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:25 am

FYI Drumpf released full financials and has divested himself from all of his business dealings for the duration of his presidency. Further, they have solicited the services of a well known and regarded third party law firm to act as a watchdog to make sure that all future Drumpf business dealings are done with 100% transparency for the American people to see that no funny business has, is or will happen... This was all announced at his presser the other day. I am sure his financials are being thoroughly scoured with a fine toothed comb by everyone as we speak... ;)
ImageImage
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:46 am

Feydakin wrote:FYI Drumpf released full financials and has divested himself from all of his business dealings for the duration of his presidency. Further, they have solicited the services of a well known and regarded third party law firm to act as a watchdog to make sure that all future Drumpf business dealings are done with 100% transparency for the American people to see that no funny business has, is or will happen... This was all announced at his presser the other day. I am sure his financials are being thoroughly scoured with a fine toothed comb by everyone as we speak... ;)

I doubt that.. the paperwork that was shown at the press conference was blank. His lawyer is from Russia...

Here is the press conference that was fact checked.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... onference/

I do not trust him or most if not all cabinet picks.. the only shining thing out of this is Mad Dog Mathis .. which may not be that big of a nut job. At least from his answers that he gave the Senate.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:31 pm

We're never going to agree, ever... I'm a conservative leaning Libertarian. I don't trust progressive liberalism, the current administration, or socialists AT ALL. Every single "fact checking" organization that people like to point to are funded by liberals, which is easy to confirm. There is literally no "disinterested third party" to count on for unbiased accounting of anything. I just fundamentally disagree with so many things that today's Liberalism and Socialism stand for, I can't trust any of it. I don't think they have the USA's best interest at heart, I really don't. This is the reality you're facing from the people that voted for Drumpf or at least against Hillary and Sanders. Most of them realize who Drumpf is as a person, but they literally feel like Liberals are more of a danger to the country, their jobs, their well being than he is. Liberals are doing NOTHING to change that perception, and in fact are doubling and tripling down on the bullshit narratives that lost them the election and HUNDREDS of legislative seats this election cycle...
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:42 pm

people think i'm full liberal because i'm for social safety nets, equal rights, women's rights, and free healthcare. i also don't like or trust big government (hey i've been putting black tape over by webcam since they first made webcams lol) and believe in the Constitution. this is an oversimplification, of course, but i don't know what to classify myself anymore.

my problem is mainly big money / corporate control of all sides, because no one rises up in politics these days without being beholden to some special interest along the way. and how people have become convinced that ALL government is bad. they're being convinced that the wrong things are to blame. things like some regulations, welfare, obamacare....any of the decent programs that though not perfect, can and should continue to be tweaked, not gutted entirely. these are the evils, instead of the corporate interests and big bankers behind the scenes doing the convincing that it's not their puppeteering and lobbying for loopholes, privatization, deregulation, and creating a bloated almost dysfunctional system that appears to the general populace to be completely out of control because of the *individual people* in office. and Citizens United only made it even worse.

it makes me wonder if the only way to send a message is to just not vote for anyone...until no one does.
likely a pipe-dream...

so in essence it baffles me to no end, with the insane wealth gap in this nation, how people want to support a silver-spoon-born plutocrat.

his side just did an amazing job of tapping in to all those fears while the other side just excludes people.
it's all psychology. that's why truth and facts and logic don't enter into it anymore.

i will say Feyd is right about checking who the websites you do research with are beholden to. some of them fact-check a disproportionate amount of one side's claims than the other. sometimes it is hard to follow the money and see who funds certain organizations, so i try to read with the idea that everyone has a slant.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:17 pm

yeah so seriously, Bill Mahr nails it on this very, very obnoxiously touchy subject of...being touchy. i don't really like Mahr; he's often not very well-researched, he let's too much bullshit slide during his panel discussions, and he's a bit of a fucking sexist pig. but every now & then, he pulls out something halfway amazing, and even though there is one example that actually did call for sensetivity (the native headress / costume), the overall message is a shining beacon that i'd personally enjoy transmutating into a shining dagger so that i might stab it into the brains of some of the latte liberals policing celebrities on twitter and similar squishy asshats that have taken over an entire party's message in the same EXACT way the tea party hijacked the republicans' platform. more voices of reason need to be saying this out there...PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD...

Return to “C&D”