"We're all free or none of us is free"; why liberation is a joint endeavor

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

"We're all free or none of us is free"; why liberation is a joint endeavor

Postby cerrodepedro » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:02 am

I want to focus on reasons I am a big fan of pro-Black cultural and political advancements:

• It's just, simply that the universe has been screwing over people of color in very special ways for a big enough chunk of human history already. I feel like people of color deserve to catch a damned break.
  • As a pansexual man, I can trust other folks who've had commonly identifiable and systemic disadvantages to give me a leg up as they ascend the ladder of collective clout and power. As an example, look at what a successful writing and acting team including Barry Jenkins, Janelle Monáe, and Mahershala Ali chose to do with their filmmaking influence: Normalize queer relationships within the communities they portrayed.
  • Things like Affirmative Action in the USA (which I presume will soon perish under the present Nazi regime) are not meant to grab disproportionate quantities of pie; rather they're meant to counter past and EXISTING anti-person of color bias. Ink has written art length about the subtleties but enormity of said bias. So as a white dude I don't fret about scholarships specific to people of color.
  • As cultural diffusion takes place, a more sustainable set of social contracts form that add not only stability but also unity in places that are shared between groups traditionally placed in power and groups traditionally disempowered.
  • The most radical segments of pro-Black initiatives liberate everybody. I reiterated this in the topic on firearm control legislation. Tell me that black men toting rifles outside of buildings of legislative bodies is uninspiring. And more contemporarily, Black Lives Matter pushes for law enforcement accountability. I think that's a great thing.
  • I've got friends and family who are people of color. I met a lot of the friends on that Mormon mission I went on while I still belonged to that cult, was generously apportioned a second language and knowledge and some degree of intimacy with multiple cultures and subcultures. And I feel a sense of loyalty.

Compare this set of facts and assertions against the amount of vulnerability required for any degree of trust between communities of color and self-styled anti oppression allies, white folks. Think Bill and Hillary fucking Clinton. The legislation they pushed in an effort to crush economic and social mobility. Think of the white gay dudes like Milo Shitstain Yiannopoulos who are unapologetic queer Nazis. Think of white feminists who get bloodthirsty about black men they've decided are more dangerous than white men.

This is why I'm willing to take a back seat when coalescing with communities of color to express dissent and assert resistance to the oppressively powerful. This is why I reject notions of more equitable and ethical distributions of wealth that refuse to acknowledge and account for decades, millennia of oppression against specific demographics by specific groups of power consolidators.
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Re: "We're all free or none of us is free"; why liberation is a joint endeavor

Postby cerrodepedro » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:12 pm

So the argument here is that we should stop talking about race? There is actually a Black History Month topic in the education forum if you'd like to have a broader discussion about the issue.
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Re: "We're all free or none of us is free"; why liberation is a joint endeavor

Postby ink » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:36 pm

uhhhh word! lots to chew on, i shall return!
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Return to “C&D”