Dave Rubin: My Favorite Liberal?

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Dave Rubin: My Favorite Liberal?

Postby Feydakin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:11 pm

So I wanted to introduce people to a real, actual Liberal. The kind of Liberal that is actually a Liberal, and not what passes for a Liberal these days. His name is Dave Rubin, and he does a show on Youtube called The Rubin Report, where he interviews various people in the realm of social politics like Dennis Prager, Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson, Glenn Beck and many more. I don't agree with everything that he espouses, but he is very open to debate and is more than willing to agree to disagree with people. You know, the way it should be... I've been following him for over a year now, and I've watched pretty much all of his videos. I think people could really glean some good insights by watching and listening. Enjoy. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJdKr0 ... ZYqLCa9mng

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Re: Dave Rubin: My Favorite Liberal?

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:05 pm

he's aite, but *just* aite. i would like to see a return to both party's original ideologies than what the majority stands for today on both sides. the politically correct left and the maniac teabagger right.

shame my favorite conservative is still a fictional character...Will McAvoy in The Newsroom :giggle:
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:16 pm

NaranjaRa wrote:the politically correct left and the maniac teabagger right.

Those two things are precisely what is wrong with politics today... Political Correctness more than anything was the poison that seeped into and corrupted the well for everyone. The pushback against it is coming from all sides. So just because classic Liberals are against it doesn't mean they aren't Liberal anymore, it means that what passes for "The Left" now, or what people rightfully term "The Regressive Left", has gone insane and is making everyone else insane because if you don't tow the party line then you're a pariah. You literally have to go back 30 years to find real Liberals, and the reason why we used to be able to work together is that so many of us used to fall into basically the same place, overlapping circles. Classic Liberalism and Libertarianism are very close together on so many things, but most importantly on Freedom of Speech and the ability to talk things out and compromise. A skill that has been lost for the most part in partisan politics of today. Dave Rubin is a great example of someone who is willing to have and show civil discourse with people that he vehemently disagrees with on some subjects.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 pm

Feydakin wrote:You literally have to go back 30 years to find real Liberals

..as well as Conservatives! shit, Ronald Reagan is almost a Liberal by today's standards.

i do like that Rubin wants to have these discussions with all sides. sober, real discussions. i cannot at all fault anyone for that. it's all i want to do as well. understand WHY people take certain stances. what is frustrating / infuriating is that so many folks' beliefs are now coming from straight-up misinformation, and that is in my mind what is mostly causing this huge divide from reality on both major sides.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:42 pm

I think that maybe the white noise generated by the vocal minorities from both sides is such that it is hard for either sides moderates to wade through the morass to see that in fact the "real" moderates from both sides still exist... For the record, when I said "real Liberals" up there I meant politicians, not the citizenry.
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:23 pm

Feydakin wrote:I think that maybe the white noise generated by the vocal minorities from both sides is such that it is hard for either sides moderates to wade through the morass to see that in fact the "real" moderates from both sides still exist... For the record, when I said "real Liberals" up there I meant politicians, not the citizenry.

and it's not just that most politicians in office live in the extremes, but they seem to purely be motivated by short-term political partisan gains. there's no longer room for compromise. there's no longer incentive to work together on a consensus. it's "my way or nothing" these days, and it's REALLY becomming extremely harmful for the rest of the country in ways we haven't even begun to see completely unfold.

i wish i had an answer...how to bring us back to the middle ground again. :worry:

Return to “C&D”