Cussing/Swearing: Does it mean you are less intelligent?

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Apparently, no, muthafuckas.

This article describes a study in which it was found that people who swear more often have better vocabularies, and are more verbally fluent than those who swear less. I was aware of "the long-held stereotype that people swear because they can’t find more intelligent words with which to express themselves." I admit that I actually used to feel that way, only because the belief was held and expressed by so many. Therefore I tried to refrain from cussing like a sailor, even though it came so naturally.

Whatever to that shit. o_O
That didn't last long.

I do not understand why some words are taboo and others are not.
A) "Look, there's a pile of poo over there." vs. B) "Look, there's a pile of shit over there."
....what is the difference?

OK, I'm digressing a little and that's a super simplified example, but still...

How do you feel about people using cuss words in general?
DisCUSS.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Orea
Viva La Résistance

Postby Orea » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:36 pm

I swear all the time although I am a rather literate person. I love reading and writing, and I am usually the one they call the grammar nazi... but I'm also the most vulgar friend you'll have at a party.

That being said, cussing can be a form of art if you know your shit...
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:42 am

Cussing has nothing to do with intelligence, and like you mentioned, studies reveal evidence contrary to the popular stereotype.

The utility and ubiquity of taboo words

Interesting finding, this article highlights that swearing is negatively associated with sexual anxiety (More swearing=less sexual anxiety).
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:58 am

Fuck those fucking fuckers who fucking think I fucking can't fucking express my fucking self. Fuck!
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:27 am

^^^^Pawly is just making sure he keeps his sexual anxiety to a minimum^^^^ j/k
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:55 pm

I read the same study... and there have been others.

Words only have as much power over you as you give them. You decide to be offended when I say fuck and it's not directed at you or yours in a derogatory way. That having been said, I try and respect the company I am in when I speak and I don't swear a lot unless I know the people I'm with. If you know me though, then you realize that when I am telling you how fucking awesome you are you shouldn't be offended that I used fucking as an adjective, you should be flattered that I said you are awesome. ;)

People that believe that those that swear are somehow less intelligent people are simply victims of a societal more in the way "civilized" people view swearing. Much like the taboos against people with tattoos, it's complete bullocks.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:26 pm

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:Cussing has nothing to do with intelligence, and like you mentioned, studies reveal evidence contrary to the popular stereotype.

The utility and ubiquity of taboo words

Interesting finding, this article highlights that swearing is negatively associated with sexual anxiety (More swearing=less sexual anxiety).

That's definitely an interesting correlation...
makes sense... many people with sexual anxiety are probably more likely to be uncomfortable swearing.
Image Image
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:37 am

:lol: but you titled this thread 'cussing'.. haha the south is showing

https://www.reverbnation.com/mridgafandthebackoftheclass/song/12889109-mridgaf
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:25 pm

Damn straight represent fuckin Kentucky, yeehaw!
Image Image
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:05 pm

:lol:

u guys do have the richest grass i have ever seen in my life! :O
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

MAK
grasshopper

Postby MAK » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:49 am

Cussing is primal.. It is the ultimate expression of rage prior to going violent. I think its mental relief more than anything else. Imagine that you're raging over something, and compare how you feel if you would say the following at that moment:

1- "hmm.. I am so angry now, I just lost all my pictures.."...

2- "FUCK!!! FUCK ME HARD! FUCK YOU FACEBOOK WHORECHILDREN, MOTHERFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK".

Now, which alternative is more gratifying in such a situation?

UPDATE: After thinking about this a while, I realized that gratifying does not necessarily mean good. Raging hard could actually harm your body.
<3
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:49 pm

MAK wrote:UPDATE: After thinking about this a while, I realized that gratifying does not necessarily mean good. Raging hard could actually harm your body.

Hey, I'm glad you brought that up. Got me thinking about those studies where hurtful vs. loving words caused differing effects on test subjects, i.e. water, food, etc.
Image Image
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:49 am

Try to think of cussing as sentence enhancers. If I say that's a very pretty flower or that's a fucking pretty flower. Which one holds more weight?

I tend to cuss quite a bit but I can also turn it off if the situation requires it. I think that's the key difference. Being able to express yourself and your thoughts without the need to use profanity.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:21 am

pffft! swearing is like a whole dialect of speaking. last i checked, the more ways you can express yourself, THE SMARTER you are :D those are my guns and im stickin to 'em!
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:01 am

Cussing has its time and place. Being able to express the same level of emotion without the use of cuss words can be seen as a challenge.

You have to have the ability to turn it off; I have seen people fired because they used the word "Shut-Up!" Which to some carries the same weight as, please be mofo quite.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:28 am

Skywalker wrote:Cussing has its time and place. Being able to express the same level of emotion without the use of cuss words can be seen as a challenge.

You have to have the ability to turn it off; I have seen people fired because they used the word "Shut-Up!" Which to some carries the same weight as, please be mofo quite.

Thats a great point i did completely forget - it has its time and place. thank you for that reminder Skywalker! I cant be at the front of the classroom cursing at my students cause they wont try their assignments (tho id love to sometimes...)

There is a time, place, and proper tone for everything. but when im around adults/friends and im angered, im going right to all the swearing I can think of.
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:41 am

i love this thread. people bother me all day about this. I was #1 in my fucking class ffs. I choose to speak this way. Cursing captures my rage more than euphemisms any day.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:26 pm

I think using euphemisms to avoid curse words is pointless.
An innocent sounding word is being given negative context, so then it has the same effect anyway.

I knew someone who always used to say "Sugar Shack!" instead of shit, and I wanted to bitch slap her every time.
It's the same intention. I believe a child hearing that would still understand the connotation.
Image Image
DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool

Postby DJ_Darkside » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:54 pm

I fucking swear all the god damn time. The only fucking time that I have to fucking restrain myself is around fucking kids. I fucking think if people stumble over their damn shitty words to find a "fucking better" one either they are fucking lieing to you about something or it is in their fucking nature to to censor themselves. Either damn way. Can't trust a person who doesn't fucking swear at least once in a fucking while. FUCK...

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain

ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
/anna hack! :kiss:
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:19 am

girlapaloo wrote:I think using euphemisms to avoid curse words is pointless.
An innocent sounding word is being given negative context, so then it has the same effect anyway.

I knew someone who always used to say "Sugar Shack!" instead of shit, and I wanted to bitch slap her every time.
It's the same intention. I believe a child hearing that would still understand the connotation.

Dude... Sugar shack literally just sounded like nails on a chalkboard to me. How bizarre is that? It's still grating me typing it.

As far as the plant and water stories... I believe them whole heartedly but I always correlated it more to tone than actual words. I actually have a plant that I lovingly coo curses at. " OooOOOOh.... You're such a pretty bitch." Completely normal. O_o

Mak, I love the cursing is primal take. So resonated with me.

Ha-ha at the irony if cussing in the title.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:12 pm

Phara wrote:
As far as the plant and water stories... I believe them whole heartedly but I always correlated it more to tone than actual words. I actually have a plant that I lovingly coo curses at. " OooOOOOh.... You're such a pretty bitch." Completely normal. O_o

YUS, this is 100% normal! (nod) :D

//change thread title
Image Image
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Cussin' is perfectly normal and accepted in many work places where the group is in fact quite bright but among most groups it is best used for affect.
Image Image
est 1953

Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:23 pm

I curse. I hate getting shit for it. I don't get why they are found offensive to some. I hope that over time they become acceptable
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:18 pm

We toned it down as much as possible when the little guy came, but I miss it so much sometimes, I do swear online, he can't read yet, win!!
Live today, 'cause if you don't, you might live to regret it.... Amanda Marshall
Image Image
Image Image
/anna hijack! :kiss:
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:33 pm

If I had a child he would be the most adorable little fuckin' foulmouth ever.
Image Image

Return to “C&D”