Software for Blu-ray Playback on PC?

The place for discussion of hardware, software and mobile apps.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Software for Blu-ray Playback on PC?

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:22 am

What software do you guys use for Blu-ray playback on PC?
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Re: Software for Blu-ray Playback on PC?

Postby ink » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:53 pm

media player classic i think.. oh wait, do you mean an actual blue ray disc? if so i have no clue
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:05 pm

Yes, blu-ray discs. :D
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
merlin
ninja with training wheels

Postby merlin » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:49 pm

You can play can play blue ray disks with VLC Player. It will pretty much let you play any type of content you can find and it plays Blue Ray natively. I use that for just about all my content. Ever now and again I'll use KODI but the interface sucks. VLC FTW

http://www.videolan.org/
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:00 pm

I know that I used to be able to play blu-rays with VLC but I was under the impression that it can't do it natively anymore... without some tweaking of some description?
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:43 pm

Never mind, I found the info I needed... it's really asinine that you have to jump through so many flaming hoops or pay for special software to get a blu-ray to play properly. You know what all that "anti-piracy" protection does? It prompts people to pirate, or it harms legitimate users. I know that VLC for a short while allowed blu-ray playback right out of the box, but they must have been forced to remove it as a default option at some point...

That having been said, I bought Cyberlink PowerDVD (http://www.cyberlink.com/) many years ago. Initially I got it for free with a DVDROM I bought, but when they added blu-ray to the software functionality I bought a copy. It works alright but it's kind of filled with bloatware and sometimes I have trouble getting updates for it.
ImageImage
merlin

Postby merlin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:45 am

Looks like you are right. I had my setup playing Blue Rays but I updated a few weeks ago and I honestly don't watch many Blue Ray Discs. I never really understood why someone would download something that big. After searching around I did find a free player that works pretty well and it didn't seem like it had any bloatware.
http://www.leawo.org/blu-ray-player/

Sony is a funny company to me and how they go about their "Anti-Piracy" protection. Since people got on computers it's always been some form of borrowing of code and they are no saint when it comes to borrowing ideas. Let's push a new format to the market then turn around and choke developer's and user's to get some extra scratch. Why not offer a player built into the format using some of the 50 gigs of space you got, rootkit maybe?
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:18 am

It turns out that you can play blu-rays with VLC but you have to install other, secondary files that don't come with VLC, and yet are provided by VideoLAN on the VLC site. Apparently it's a legal grey area, so they aren't allowed to bundle it with the software, but can still provide it separately... I read up on it, a lot of legal gobbledygook that ends up making no sense and accomplishes nothing. At the end of the day, most anti-piracy measures end up doing absolutely nothing to stop piracy and a whole lot to punish average, law-abiding consumers.
ImageImage
merlin

Postby merlin » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:25 pm

Dang you are right! Here is the VLC Website link to the BlueRay Stuff ya need.

http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:33 am

Yeah I figured it all out. It's not a perfect solution, but it works well enough. ;)
ImageImage

Return to “Tech, Software & Apps”