Best Way to run a Windows Server

The place for discussion of hardware, software and mobile apps.
ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.

Best Way to run a Windows Server

Postby ghostdogg » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:58 pm

Hey guys...

I have a current project that requires a Windows OS for the server. Can anyone recommend the best way to do that? I've taken a look at Azure and some competitors but I'm not sure if it's best to go this way or to install and run a VM on a linux-based machine.

I can imagine this might slow things down but my application isn't resouce-heavy so... Maybe this the best/cheapest method? What do you guys think?
ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.

Re: Best Way to run a Windows Server

Postby ghostdogg » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:00 am

...of course, if I do go the VM method, I would need to purchase a license but that's usually cheaper than residual bills...
merlin
ninja with training wheels

Re: Best Way to run a Windows Server

Postby merlin » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:11 am

If you are going to get locked into using Windows Server it's usually best practice to get a Dedicated Box for it. Windows Servers need the beef and that can be pricy. What I normally do when I get introduced to a client that need windows servers or currently uses them and try to pinpoint why they are using windows. It boils down to do they HAVE to have IIS for this product to run? if so what is the usage?

Depending on how well and long you need this project to run is going to be the kicker. If it's a quick one than doing the VM thing would work as long as you have it routed correctly. it's going to be intensive on the server and it's going to cost you.

I'd just create an Amazon EC2 Free-tier windows server and load my application up and see what it's going to take to get running. If your usage is going to be less 100 people you should be able to use the free server without having to pay anything. After that I would just put the files that need Windows on the server, and everything else would be hosted on a Linux server.

Return to “Tech, Software & Apps”