Zansi's LED Musical Lighting Project

The place for discussion of hardware, software and mobile apps.
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:46 pm

Hey guys, I was just working on this project and thought I might shout out to see if there's anyone who would be willing to help me, since I've hit a bit of a wall in terms of what I can do myself. So, I have these 5050 RGB LED strips designed for interior use. I have about 2 and a half strips of them that I'm going to connect up to a circuit board so each color runs through a MOSFET whose amperage I'm trying to remember, just asked my roommate to remind me. After the MOSFETs, it runs into a BeagleBone Black that I have set up so it can pulse width modulate the LEDs and play them to the sound of music, each of the three main colors set to a different frequency range, representing different parts of the musical makeup. The whole LED part of the system will run off of one 10A 12W power supply, which should be more than enough amperage to sustain the whole string of LEDs if split in half down the middle, for which I have a splitter cable for the power source. The BeagleBone Black will run on its own independent power source.

So, I have the LEDs, I have the BeagleBone, I have the MOSFETs, I know VERY basically what kind of programming I need to write, and I know VERY basically how to assemble the electronics myself. Any programmers or people with LED experience willing to lend me a hand?

EDIT: Apparently they are 1800 Burst Amp MOSFETs.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:46 am

i would love to but you literally spoke another language.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:48 am

that sounds like a really KICKASS project. i so wish i could help.

because i'd totally set it up in my own house. O_o (dance)
Zansi'Vara

Postby Zansi'Vara » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:35 am

Thank you for your words of encouragement, at least, my Queen. And you, NaranjaRa. I need to re-learn C programming and build a program for the BeagleBone microprocessor to fade the colors in real-time with whatever music is playing on the computer. It's not TOO hard in theory, but I can't find any direct guides, and it requires a few specialized pieces of coding that I'm not exactly certain how to implement.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Nepherteri
grasshopper

Postby Nepherteri » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:45 am

That's beyond my skill set...but that sounds like something my brother would dig...next time I see him I will ask him about it
" Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you're riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake up and live."~Bob Marley

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Zansi'Vara

Postby Zansi'Vara » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:37 am

I appreciate it anyway, Neph. ^_^ My roommate is helping me rip apart a circuit board to harvest the 12V plug jack, the IR light, and the wire connector.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Tech, Software & Apps”