Concerning "SocialAutopsy.com"

The place for discussion of hardware, software and mobile apps.
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:28 pm

I have recently become aware of a new Kickstarter for a website called Social Autopsy from the company Degree180, a database collection of crowdsourced, anonymously uploaded screenshots from social media profiles, which is posed as an "anti-bullying" effort. I'm sure, to them, this appeared to be a perfectly reasonable concept on paper, but in practice it seems it could be very easily used and abused as a pseudo-doxxing website designed to shame people who they disagree with, including a specific aim at legal minors and young people. They believe this would reduce online harassment and bullying, but I cannot see it doing anything but allowing internet mobs more power to more effectively attack people.

On top of all of that, the simple fact that it's a trifling affair to manipulate the page element in order to change the text on anyone's social media page before screenshotting should worry everyone. It would be unbelievably easy to make it appear that anyone said anything you want, and simply claim that it was deleted after they posted it, leaving no evidence to the contrary.

Here's a much more eloquent explanation than I could offer, but which shares my general sentiments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_72RTvHeNs

The petition that he mentions in the video can be found here.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Ron
grasshopper

Postby Ron » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:07 am

I hate how bloated and so far from reality most anti bully campaigns are.

But it's that same fucky little argument. "If you're against this you must be for it." and the ages old "Think of the CHILDREN" bullshit.

The whole concept is just stupid to me. People aren't always going to be nice. It's just a fact. You cant MAKE someone nice.
It's like Safe Spaces and Zero Tolerance policies. On paper, sure might seem like they're a good idea but in execution it's just either attention seeking dramatics or a fucked up punishment that pursists for the rest of your life. This "Social Autopsy" fits somewhere between both of those dystopian realities.

The world isn't nor will it ever be a land full of cuddles and sunshine for all who walk upon it. The pursuit of that is silly and counter intuitive.
ImageImage
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:38 am

Well here's some awesome news! I just hope they don't get their funding restored by Kickstarter or find someone else to fund this Orwellian nightmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miEM_J4o1z4
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Tech, Software & Apps”