Your Top 5 Horror Movies of All Time & Horror Movies Discussion

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Re: Your Top 5 Horror Movies of All Time & Horror Movies Discussion

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:42 am

Brewtality wrote:Maaaaaan, sometimes living away from your home country can suck. Example: John Carpenter recently played a concert in my home city of Liverpool and followed it up with a separate Q&A for a few hours. Missing that killed me, The chance to watch John Carpenter playing his own movie themes live!?!?! Maaaaan.

GET OUT i had no idea he even did that!!!! oh man, yeah, that sucks to have missed. wonder if there's something on youtube?
//runs off to see
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:24 am

NaranjaRa wrote:
Brewtality wrote:Maaaaaan, sometimes living away from your home country can suck. Example: John Carpenter recently played a concert in my home city of Liverpool and followed it up with a separate Q&A for a few hours. Missing that killed me, The chance to watch John Carpenter playing his own movie themes live!?!?! Maaaaan.

GET OUT i had no idea he even did that!!!! oh man, yeah, that sucks to have missed. wonder if there's something on youtube?
//runs off to see

Yeah he's been doing that for a while now... Pretty sure he posts info about it on his Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/directorjohncarpenter/

A cinema house like 2 hours away from me is doing a showing of JC's The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China... I so wish I could go! :cry:
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:14 am

well this is an interesting story, and horror movie made by a now-deceased meth-fueled millionaire over 5 years...
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/m ... naire-meth

A recent item in the Hollywood Reporter laid out the whole extraordinary account, a bizarre showbiz footnote that’s part cautionary tale and part inspiring DIY triumph. Andrew Rork Getty, scion of the Getty oil dynasty, set out on a quixotic journey in 2002: he’d drafted the script for a horror film based loosely on a series of nightmares he’d personally had, and intended on using as much of his own fortune as necessary to bring it to life. Never one to let a little thing like inexperience stop him, Getty rounded up a crew of actors with no idea what they were getting into and dove into shooting on what was then titled The Storyteller. Production ultimately stretched out over the course of five years, progressing in fits and starts as Getty devised elaborate custom camera rigs, pricy original sets and, in one instance, a large animatronic octopus designed to play a drum kit.

After he called a wrap on shooting, Getty continued to obsess over perfecting each and every frame of this labor of love. He converted one of his mansion’s many rooms into a post-production suite, where he spent untold years on intricate in-camera special-effects techniques. Producer Michael Luceri estimates Getty’s personal expenditure on the movie somewhere in the neighborhood of $5m, a figure that left the heir in financial ruin. His story came to a tragic end in 2015, when he died at age 47 from a hemorrhaging ulcer brought on by a long history of recreational meth usage. He wouldn’t live to see the completion of his life’s work, but his absolute, unmatched devotion to the project shines through in the now-available finished cut.

oh yeah i'm totally gonna check this out :giggle:
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Someone I follow on Facebook that does a horror podcast went through and made a list of his favorite horror movies released for each year he's been alive (since 1973 for him). I thought that would be an interesting things to put together, so I might make one of my own...

https://www.facebook.com/marknado.horro ... 8010441044
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Sam Raimi defends The Evil Dead and horror on a UK show back in 1987...

Part 2:
Spoiler: show

I am a case study for what this anti-horror guy is talking about, that flies in the face of his narrative. I grew up on horror movies from a very young age. I loved the gore effects and basically my room looked like Tommy Jarvis from F13 Part 4 or Mark Petrie from Salem's Lot... but spoiler alert; Even after 40 plus years of being exposed to fantasy violence in media I still am disgusted, horrified and sad when I see REAL violence and the effects of violence on real people. I haven't been desensitized to it. Anecdotal? Sure, but I see the same or similar stories from everyone I've ever seen or met that is into horror, especially now that it's so much easier for communities to come together on the internet. I don't believe for a second that, under proper, ongoing adult supervision, a child would be effected negatively by watching fantasy violence.

What a giant fucking pussy that British guy on the panel is... how does he even function in society?
;)
ImageImage
DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool

Postby DJ_Darkside » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Feydakin wrote:
I am a case study for what this anti-horror guy is talking about, that flies in the face of his narrative. I grew up on horror movies from a very young age. I loved the gore effects and basically my room looked like Tommy Jarvis from F13 Part 4 or Mark Petrie from Salem's Lot... but spoiler alert; Even after 40 plus years of being exposed to fantasy violence in media I still am disgusted, horrified and sad when I see REAL violence and the effects of violence on real people. I haven't been desensitized to it. Anecdotal? Sure, but I see the same or similar stories from everyone I've ever seen or met that is into horror, especially now that it's so much easier for communities to come together on the internet. I don't believe for a second that, under proper, ongoing adult supervision, a child would be effected negatively by watching fantasy violence.

;)

Know what? I'm the same, been brought up on horror and the first one I saw was The Evil Dead. Had to go watch "Clueless" with my best friends sister afterwards just to get over the trauma lol. But I digress. I am actually fine with real life violence. I've had to deal with it in a couple of situations in life preforming first aid on some victims of car crashes... even held a mans guts from spilling out of his body once. Doesn't phase me at all but it might be because I was in the moment and the need to help overpowered the need to vomit profusely. Was this a result of a childhood of horror.... not sure, but I can't dismiss the fact that it definitely helped.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain

ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
/anna hack! :kiss:
DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool

Postby DJ_Darkside » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:21 am

P.S. I WANNA KNOW!!!!

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain

ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
/anna hack! :kiss:
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:20 am

I mean sure I can "handle" real life violence and gore and whatnot, but I'm still effected by it.... in the moment though is a different story, I am cool as a cucumber under that kind of pressure. I'm not sure that I'd say that watching fake violence, etc had anything to do with that ability necessarily, but it's possible.
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:19 am

i have a similar tale. i was raised on Dawn of the Dead, Alien, John Carpenter films, and mostly horror from the 70s & early 80's. as i got older i started getting a natural scientific & medical curiosity. in college i did an internship at Johns Hopkins Department of Pathology as a pathology photographer. on my first day i had to do photos of heart slices. i was down in pathology so much; i've seen an open cadaver. bins full of organs laid out like a buffet. i've been in the middle of an emergency brain operation. i could go on but don't want to churn stomachs more that i have to.

after school i interviewed to be a crime scene photographer but didn't get the job (too many drugs lol). instead, i ended up working in a lab processing crime scene photos. images of people hit by cars. images of a guy who committed suicide with a shotgun to his face. horrors no one ever wants to see.

i do believe the gore in films did somewhat desensitize me to being able to *handle* seeing these things and work in these fields. HOWEVER, it did nothing to desensitize my inner workings, and how my heart felt seeing such real life horror. it affected me deeply. things i can never erase seeing. and i left the field specifically because i was afraid that one day, i would see someone i knew in those pictures.

truth is, i'm a big wuss who cries when she hears bad things happening to children and babies especially, and who can't get through humane society commercials on tv. babies & animals, man. destroys me every time.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue May 30, 2017 10:41 pm

ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:02 am

^ that was cool
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:53 pm

I love watching old horror movie specials and docs... just when i think I've seen them all I run across anther one. ;)
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:58 pm

I love watching old horror movie specials and docs... just when i think I've seen them all I run across anther one. ;)

I also spent hours the other day going through old videos of TNT Monstervision with Joe Bob Briggs, USA Up All Night, USA Saturday Nightmares, and others...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRACxPT ... HYezUSdLoX
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:03 pm

oh for sure (never seen those ^ though!)! i especially love the docu on the making of An American Werewolf in London. i think that one is my very favorite.
heck, the only reason we ever buy DVDs any more is for the extras...the documentaries & whatnot. gotta love those $2 bins...we've found some true gems that way!
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:37 am

Don't forget; Every night this week Scream Factory is celebrating their fifth anniversary by showing a different horror movie every night at 10pm! Come join the fun and the live chat!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs7MJ_ ... TmmkoG2aVw
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:11 pm

I have no words. Completely gutted. Rest in Peace George A. Romero... :(
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/georg ... 202497068/

Anyone that knows me, knows what George A. Romero and his films meant to me, especially growing up. One of my fondest memories is spending an entire weekend at my grandmothers house watching a VHS rental of Romero's Dawn of the Dead over and over again, and learning how to connect two VCRs together in order to make a copy to keep... Love it or loathe it, we have Grandaddy Romero to thank for the zombie apocalypse in media. :(
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:51 pm

yeah man, i was raised on his movies. a true hero of film was lost yesterday. :(
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:49 pm

The Clive Barker classic "Rawhead Rex" is getting a 4K restoration! Here is the trailer! :D

ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 pm

Feydakin wrote:The Clive Barker classic "Rawhead Rex" is getting a 4K restoration! Here is the trailer! :D

well whatddya know.
i have NEVER seen this one, like, ever! :o
better believe this puppy is going on my watch-list el-prrrronto! thanks Feyd! :evilgrin:
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 am

The story is great, the movie is one of those terrible classics... I mean I think that you can tell from the hokey guy-in-a-suit monster effects, but it's got some crazy scenes in it. Well worth the watch IMO.
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:29 am

yeah Adam said it's one of those great "deep 80's" horror flicks and is totally game on watching it again with me (sun)
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Feydakin wrote:I have no words. Completely gutted. Rest in Peace George A. Romero... :(
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/georg ... 202497068/

Anyone that knows me, knows what George A. Romero and his films meant to me, especially growing up. One of my fondest memories is spending an entire weekend at my grandmothers house watching a VHS rental of Romero's Dawn of the Dead over and over again, and learning how to connect two VCRs together in order to make a copy to keep... Love it or loathe it, we have Grandaddy Romero to thank for the zombie apocalypse in media. :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! :(
Monkey Shines was one of my faves.
Image Image
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:32 am

George A. Romero - Never-Before-Seen Outtakes from Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments!
ImageImage

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”