The Do Over

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Fri May 27, 2016 4:32 am

The Do Over (2016): The Life of a bank manager (David Spade) is turned upside down when a friend of his past (Adam Sandler) manipulates him into faking his own death and taking off on an adventure.

The Netflix Exclusive movie coming out May 27 actually..... Looks funny! I'm very surprised! It looks like it ducking has potential, and I'm happy about that!

This is my final chance for Adam Sandler. The Cobbler, Just Go With It, Grown Ups 2 (Grown Ups one was average at best), The Ridiculous 6, his last 5 movies I really wanted to enjoy, really really wanted to because I'm such a fan of his 90's and early 00's work, but boy has he sucked a as an actor too lately. I hated all the movies I've listed and many more of his. Mostly his acting style seems like he's not even trying. Like he's given up and is just doing things out of obligation, but he's not enjoying anything anymore. He's been blank in his roles, IMO.

This looks to have potential, and he seems to have made it with friends, so perhaps the creative juices that brought us, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, Anger Managenent, 8 Crazy Nights, Waterboy, The Wedding Singer, and Mr. Deeds have reinvigorated in him! I really hope so, because all of these Sandler films I've mentioned have made me a huge fan. The other half of his movies are pure garbage in my opinion, the first 5 I listed, Little Nicky, Click, he's done just as many awful films as he's done incredible films.

I believe (arguably I guess I can admit) that his garbage is low bottom garbage equivalent to his genius which is top tier genius, for a crazy balance if either really hitting the mark, or not even inducing one fucking smile out of me. So weird to be on both ends of extremes in comedy. It's very easy to make me laugh too. I love kids movies and I'm very open minded about film. It's such a shame to see such genius produce such shlock that disappoints on so many levels.

I really hope this movie brings back his drive to want success. After "Don't Mess With the Zohan", I can't name many good or even average Sandler titles.

Please Adam..... I hope this comes from the part of you from the earlier parts of your years in the business. Comedy gold in 90's, mostly everything you've done.... Early 00's, more great laughs. Then.... A bunch of titles that just..... exist with no spark or anything, almost effortless seemingly, Lije your will to succeed was lost, broken, shattered. I really hope this one is the inspiration you need to show us all that genius I know is still there, deep down in you. You've got the potential, and I really hope you can show it to the world again.
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Mon May 30, 2016 6:21 am

Punch Drunk Love is just about the only thing I can stand to watch him in. In fact, that's a very good film. Everything else can fuck off. I tried and pretended to like Happy Gilmour but really, I think I might have laughed once. He's one of the most diabolically overpaid people on the planet and he's essentially a corporate con-artist who pretends to make films so he can play the hollywood corporate system and make lots of lovely advertising dollars.

These guys do an excellent analysis of Sandler's particular brand of mind-filth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNsT7-Lwsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc85QCF5414

Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon May 30, 2016 8:29 am

Brewtality wrote:Punch Drunk Love is just about the only thing I can stand to watch him in. In fact, that's a very good film. Everything else can fuck off. I tried and pretended to like Happy Gilmour but really, I think I might have laughed once. He's one of the most diabolically overpaid people on the planet and he's essentially a corporate con-artist who pretends to make films so he can play the hollywood corporate system and make lots of lovely advertising dollars.

These guys do an excellent analysis of Sandler's particular brand of mind-filth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNsT7-Lwsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc85QCF5414

I cant agree with you about Happy Gilmore. That is in my top 5 best comedies of all time. Billy Madison with him is genius too. However, that was in his early days, when he actually had talent. Happy Gilmore has more memorable quotes than most movies, i think most people would agree.

I do think this looked ok from the trailer, but tis still getting shit reviews. I wont have time to watch until after this week. finishing up school and then leaving for vacation over the weekend :D I'll voice my thoughts after I watch it.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:23 am

No ninjas have seen it yet???? I guess I can't blame you for not fronting an Adam Sandler flick to the front. Understandable. Until I'm done with work thurs and get back from vacay, I can't either. If you watch it, please leave a review, even a brief sentence or two of your opinion if you would :)

If not, given his last 5 movies, I can certainly understand.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:41 pm

Not exactly sure where Sandler lost it, but he has, and nothing he's done in the last several years does anything to change my mind. I feel like many comedians, especially comedy actors just lose it after a while and just become unfunny and sad. It sucks, but his older stuff is still there to enjoy. I wouldn't even waste my time with this unless someone whose opinion I trust told me it was worth it, and even then it'd be way down on my list. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:08 am

I liked the Do over. Somewhat predictable, dragged at times, but in general I found it to be funny. Then again, I felt like David Spade carried the comedic/acting weight.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:36 pm

Watched because I needed a laugh. I liked it. Definitely had some funny and some slow moments.

Growing up I loved some of Sandler's old SNL material.
I was one of those kids that obnoxiously quoted Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore a thousand times a day after seeing them for the first time.
Can't really sit through those movies now, though.

Sandler was a little more subtle with his humor and Spade didn't annoy me as much as he normally does. (rolleyes)
I was disappointed there weren't more cameo appearances. All in all, I wasn't mad that I watched it.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:14 am

Im loving all this feedback!!!

girlapaloo wrote:Watched because I needed a laugh. I liked it. Definitely had some funny and some slow moments.

Growing up I loved some of Sandler's old SNL material.
I was one of those kids that obnoxiously quoted Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore a thousand times a day after seeing them for the first time.
Can't really sit through those movies now, though.

Sandler was a little more subtle with his humor and Spade didn't annoy me as much as he normally does. (rolleyes)
I was disappointed there weren't more cameo appearances. All in all, I wasn't mad that I watched it.

im still one of those obnoxious kids, lmoa, quoting billy madison and happy gilmore, can still watch them for the 200th time and enjoy them just the same. but youre also talking to the man who has had the same cd in his car for about 4 years. i change it about every 4 years too :D im def a weirdo. i never get sick of things, usually.

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”