The Internet's Own Boy - The story of Aaron Swartz

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
Viva La Résistance

Postby Orea » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:36 pm

Just finished watching this documentary on Netflix, pretty damn interesting.

It follows the life of Aaron Swartz, a young political activist who tackled some heavy issues regarding online freedom and public access to knowledge. He committed suicide at 26, most likely because of the stress of being under federal investigation for theft after massively downloading scientific journals on the database JSTOR.

Impressive human being all around.
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:16 pm

It's a very good docu and a fascinating story. Thumbs up!
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:56 pm

No need to watch it, was on Reddit when the shit went down, already read the thread.
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Haven't seen the documentary yet, but I remember vividly when the Rolling Stone article came out. This was actually a very emotional time for me. I was in prison and I was leading the first ever program ever approved by a prisoner at Bryan Prison. It was the Visual Journaling Club and I remember sharing this particular story with the women as it was something I had cut out and was pasting in my journal. I told them that my story was in the same world as Aaron's but his tale was really the one I would have followed if I had the actual computing skill. The thought of making all the academic journals in the world public was such a noble idea, such a wonderful, beautiful act by a special soul... that his story made me cry every time I read it...

so yeah, thanks for the share. Aaron Schwartz will always be someone I hold so close to my heart. And when I can battle the intensity of emotion that will come with watching the docu... I'll take a walk over to Netflix.

Image Image

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”