NEWS! Luc Besson Found Guilty of Plagiarizing ‘Lockout’ From John Carpenter’s ‘Escape From New York’

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

NEWS! Luc Besson Found Guilty of Plagiarizing ‘Lockout’ From John Carpenter’s ‘Escape From New York’

Postby Feydakin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:10 pm

OK I love Luc Besson. I mean lately his stuff has been more miss than hit, relying too much on milking franchises, but you cannot deny, La Femme Nikita, Leon: The Professional, The Transporter, The Fifth Element, Taken, it's a long list of awesome films... but I also love John Carpenter. I love John Carpenter much more in fact. I watched Lockout and knew from the word go that it was a Escape from New York ripoff... as I watched it though, it was SO similar that I really it crossed the border into plagiarism. It really did.

So now the court case against Besson had not been going well for him at all, but now the French court hearing the case has ruled in favor of Carpenter and Besson must pay about $500k in restitution. I feel bad that it came to that, but hopefully it will make Besson and his funding studios less apt to just go for the easy money and do cool new stuff. The fact that "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" is happening gives me hope for that. Yes, I know it's not his property, but at least he got permission this time and it's never been done before. ;)

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/07/luc-be ... 201711327/
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Re: NEWS! Luc Besson Found Guilty of Plagiarizing ‘Lockout’ From John Carpenter’s ‘Escape From New York’

Postby ink » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:54 pm

i got to be honest.. 500k seems like chump change in this industry
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Re: NEWS! Luc Besson Found Guilty of Plagiarizing ‘Lockout’ From John Carpenter’s ‘Escape From New York’

Postby Feydakin » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:59 pm

ink wrote:i got to be honest.. 500k seems like chump change in this industry

It is, it's a slap on the wrist, but it sets a precedent...
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:03 pm

agreed...maybe this can begin to open up a type of halt to all of those B movie remakes/tweeks that clearly try and cash in on those who lead the charge...maybe /:
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”