The last movie I watched was ......

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Re: The last movie I watched was ......

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:13 pm

Rivoc wrote:Mannequin....

/rock SO glad you enjoyed it! Mannequin is one of those movies of my adolescence. it will always hold a special place in my heart...

just watched Don't Breathe. VERY GOOD, VERY TENSE flick that does indeed live up to all the good reviews it's received! if you like a tight horror/crime/suspense movie, check it out. i guarantee you'll be on the edge of your seat through all the crazy twists and turns!

DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool

Postby DJ_Darkside » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:36 am

Alice Through the Looking Glass It was alright... kind of an interesting watch... not Johnny Depps best role but he still kills it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain

Spoiler: show
ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
/anna hack! :kiss:
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:35 am

NaranjaRa wrote:
Rivoc wrote:Mannequin....

/rock SO glad you enjoyed it! Mannequin is one of those movies of my adolescence. it will always hold a special place in my heart...

just watched Don't Breathe. VERY GOOD, VERY TENSE flick that does indeed live up to all the good reviews it's received! if you like a tight horror/crime/suspense movie, check it out. i guarantee you'll be on the edge of your seat through all the crazy twists and turns!

You have me more interested in the twists and turns throughout the movie. Ive never been really into the horror genre, seen a few nightmare on elm streets, and a few childs play and jason movies, and thats about it. I did LOVE cabin in the woods the Whedon version. But i will love anything with unexpected twists and turns, thats what I love so much about anime.

I just watched Berserk: The Golden Age Part 1: The Egg of the King. I enjoyed it, although it wasnt nearly as gruesome or horrific as either the 96 series nor the 2016 series. It was slow and the pacing was off and it ended in a really strange spot but I still enjoyed it. The Kotaku reviewer said the third movie is the most horrific thing he had ever seen in his life and had difficulty watching all of it. Im a bit desensitized and weird to begin with, but im sure ill yell 'Holy fuck!" in a surprised manner as i usually do with this crazy horrific series.

oh and MANNEQUIN was so fucking key to my childhood. id watch it over and over and over. I think its fucking brilliant, and still holds up as quite entertaining today, even with the cheesy 80's factor that screams throughout the whole movie. Im glad you feel as strong about it as I do!
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:31 am

totally tried to watch Fantastic Beasts based on all the good reviews. as the fella just put it, "that movie has everything...but characters."

and for that it just feels like a mess. they open the film up but for whatever reason the writers just seemed to forget to introduce the characters in any kind of substantial way. therefore i had no real anchor, and didn't at all have an ounce of care for anyone in the story. and therefore, had no investment in the story.

/62 very disappointed, since i love the Wizarding World and was looking forward to another fun ride through it.
moonshine
190 PROOF

Postby moonshine » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:34 pm

I thought it was great! Sweet characters, great lore, amazing beasts and creatures and colin farrel was on top form.
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:35 pm

I've just finished watching that new Ghostbusters film and thought it was perfectly fine. I laughed out loud a few times and really enjoyed it up until the last 30 minutes or so. The bad guy didn't really make sense but I thought the interplay between the leads was good and I would almost certainly watch a sequel. Turns out there was a lot of noise over nothing really....... well, let's just wait until the trailer for the Gremlins 'reboot' comes along.

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:51 am

Snowden...and it's pretty damn good
moonshine
190 PROOF

Postby moonshine » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:26 pm

David Brent Life on the Road. Very funny movie, Gervais is amazing.
ImageImage
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:09 pm

Spectral - It is on Netflix and it is a great no thinking movie :)

I like this one. It also has that one guy from The Unit (which is a good TV show btw).
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:01 pm

Skywalker wrote:http://i.imgur.com/Rm8kLr1.png

I like this one. It also has that one guy from The Unit (which is a good TV show btw).

We just watched that last night! It was pretty OK :)
I actually wasn't expecting the little twist at the end.
Image Image
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:54 pm

dont breathe

thoroughly entertaining
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:38 am

girlapaloo wrote:
Skywalker wrote:http://i.imgur.com/Rm8kLr1.png

We just watched that last night! It was pretty OK :)
I actually wasn't expecting the little twist at the end.

i just watched it last night as well. agree with all ^ :giggle:

a lot of people keep trying to compare it to Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. i can only think it's because
there are invisible entities?
...but the similarities don't really go much beyond that. in fact, if you've not seen this one, it's amazing and better than Spectral. you don't have to know anything about Final Fantasy to dig it...I sure went in knowing nothing and love that flick to this day.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:03 pm

Nocturnal Animals

omg, holy shit this is the best movie i've seen in a long time. i won't post the trailer because it's very misleading. this is a very dark psychological thriller that should have been a Brian DePalma film. there are very Hitchcockian undertones as well. beautifully acted and directed. i don't want to say too much and spoil it but if anyone else watches it please post - i'd love to discuss with ya!!!
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:16 am

The Great Wall

even though it's not getting the best critical reviews, i really enjoyed it! i found it to be super-exciting. i mean, it's not going to blow your mind, but it will entertain you with some awesome effects, action, costumes, and set-pieces!
the bungee-jumping spear-women are my favorite!

plus, Pedro Pascal (Oberyn Martell in Game of Thrones) /mmm /mmm /mmm
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Meh... it was OK. I am a huge fan of the series, but this felt like a somewhat weak attempt at fan service. I get that they wanted to give some more answers and closure, but I'm not sure that that was really what fans needed or wanted. Too many chases, not enough fighting and cool spy stuff...
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Feydakin wrote:

Meh... it was OK. I am a huge fan of the series, but this felt like a somewhat weak attempt at fan service. I get that they wanted to give some more answers and closure, but I'm not sure that that was really what fans needed or wanted. Too many chases, not enough fighting and cool spy stuff...

completely felt the same exact way watching it!
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:32 am

Airport (1970)

I watched it with my mom, we love old movies.. well they are not all that old for her, but dammit they are old to me. They are wonderful!
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:53 am

Christine
oh man, if you know the story of Christine Chubbick, well then you know this film is going to be a sad one
it's probably Rebecca Hall's best performance, ever, as well

but besides the personal story, it's a story about the state of journalism and how the news started to change back in the 70's. Chubbick was fighting against the trend of just shoveling total info-tainment shit to people. was it in Network (which was somewhat inspired by her story) that it was said that the masses are overall stupid? and how as journalists you have an obligation to inform and investigate; you don't just gratify that stupidity in order to make money and get ratings.

i actually think it would make for a good C&D discussion. it's amazing how relevant and prophetic Network still is, and it came out 40 years ago...it remains one of my favorite movies, ever.
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:21 am

Deepwater Horizon

It was okay.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:41 am

Train to Busan
AWESOME epic Korean zombie flick

and i say that as someone completely tired of the whole zombie/rage virus outbreak genre
this is totally worth it...some absolutely incredible & insane scenes...stuff i've never seen done before...wild & tense as fuck!!! it just keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole way through for real!!
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:11 pm

The Girl with All the Gifts
not too bad...British low-budget (guess they spent it all on Glen Close?) zombie movie, but less about the actual zombies and more character driven. involves zombie kids, so there's some freaky scenes.

The Disappointments Room
ugh, yet ANOTHER "family moves from the city to a big new haunted house in the country" story.
don't waste your time

i've obviously been watching a lot of movies lately...not feeling good so it's my distraction ;-)
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:15 am

Reading an article regarding the remake being done by the Soska Sisters made me get an urge to watch the original... ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:46 am

ha i went old-school too and after Christine went ahead and busted out Network :-D

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Netflix original, superhero movie with Maise Williams, iBoy.
ImageImage
rc44
ninja with training wheels

Postby rc44 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:12 am

The Infiltrator
crime drama based on the true story of Robert Mazur (ex customs agent) It's based on the true story of undercovers busting up Pablo Escobars money laundering. Bryan Cranston and John Leguizamo are fantastic in this film. It's similar to a Donnie Brasco, Narcos vibe. Less violent and more focused on the characters and story.

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”