The last movie I watched was ......

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Re: The last movie I watched was ......

Postby ink » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Hidden Figures

best movie i done seen in years! just very well done and a noble tribute these 3 black women who are now honored. history has been re-written and it makes my heart glad.
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:11 am

they just did an episode of Timeless about one of those women a couple of months ago and i had never heard the story before. gotta love hidden history. looking forward to catching Hidden Treasures even more now!

i checked out Deepwater Horizon and Patriots Day. both were just ok...typical Hollywood hyper-history.
but i am left wondering how many more disaster movies Marky Mark can squeeze himself into! /rotfl
DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool

Postby DJ_Darkside » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:19 am

Arrival.... Ok ok... I was so weirded out seeing Pam from The Office doing some serious Sci-Fi shit but she really killed it. The theory of this movie is amazing and I love the way things work out. Better twists than a M. Night twizzler and kept me glued to the screen for the entirety. No smoke breaks. Definitely Recommend

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain

Spoiler: show
ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
/anna hack! :kiss:
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:03 am

DJ_Darkside wrote:Arrival.... Ok ok... I was so weirded out seeing Pam from The Office doing some serious Sci-Fi shit but she really killed it. The theory of this movie is amazing and I love the way things work out. Better twists than a M. Night twizzler and kept me glued to the screen for the entirety. No smoke breaks. Definitely Recommend

speaking of M.Night!!!...just saw SPLIT

HOLY CRAP....ok Arrival and Split are my two favorite new movies right now! Yes sir, after all these years and several POS, M. Night Shalammalammadingdong is BACK

James McAvoy...had no idea that dude could act like he does in this film. wO_Ow. like, the only person that comes to mind as someone else who could pull off a role where you're playing 9 out of 23 distinct personalities is Gary Oldman. and he's a bit too old for this specific tale. but yeah, i've only ever seen McAvoy be the 'tough guy' or the 'sensitive guy'. but in Split, MAN his range and subtle facial acting blew me away!

and of course you have to expect a twist in an M.Night movie :giggle:

THAT ending!!!!11!!!!!....oh HELL YEAUHHHHHHHHH!!!!!1111!!!!
/rock /rock /rock /rock /rock
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Yeah Split came out of NOWHERE, and I'm hearing great things... going to have to catch that one before I hear spoilers.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:38 pm

Steve Jobs - Definitely more of a character study than a biopic. I think Danny Boyle did a great job and made a really engaging film that give some great insight I to the end idiosyncratic workings of one of the most influential people in America in the last 50 years. Michael Fasbender is excellent a small usual.

Bridge of Spies - Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg team up again for a perfectly solid film about the exchange of spies between the USA and Russia. Mark Rylance was very good as the spy and the whole cast is great but it's not a movie I can imagine wanting to watch again.

Mr. 26
:-|

Postby Mr. 26 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Brewtality wrote:Steve Jobs - Definitely more of a character study than a biopic. I think Danny Boyle did a great job and made a really engaging film that give some great insight I to the end idiosyncratic workings of one of the most influential people in America in the last 50 years. Michael Fasbender is excellent a small usual.

I just watched this too...get outta mah brainz!!
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Great, fun flick. Made more poignant by the losses last year of Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin. The climactic musical scene was amazing. You can definitely tell that Simon Pegg wrote this...
since Scotty ends up with the girl.
;)

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:35 am

rewatched Knowing
forgot how much fun this was...and how much people get fffffffucked UP in it! :evilgrin:

also checked out Justice League Dark
loved it, but then, i also have all the DC animated movies and enjoy them all /star
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Arrival, amazing sci-fi movie! Seeing this guy is making the Blade Runner AND Dune movies I am even more stoked to see both now!
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:41 pm

Feydakin wrote:Arrival, amazing sci-fi movie! Seeing this guy is making the Blade Runner AND Dune movies I am even more stoked to see both now!

told ya (sun)
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:37 am

Just watched Arrival.. Really liked it.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:31 pm

ImageImage
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:48 am

Today Was an HBO kind of day.. so I watched a few.

16 Candles
The Breakfast Club
Seventh Son (odd movie, but enjoyable)
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:46 am

Kung Fury

i died laughing. most awesome thing i've seen in like, forever (sun)
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:12 am

Get Out

found myself repeatedly grimacing whilst saying in a very slow, high-pitched whimper, "what the fuck is going ON???" the whole time i was watching pretty much

/rotfl

great writing & direction from Jordan Peele!
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:25 pm

soon! ...i will see this gem! /nod
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:39 am

Rogue One - Again, a Star Wars movie the fans have wanted for a long time... probably liked it better than Episode VII.

Doctor Strange - My top two or three Marvel character. Amazing movie.

Just coincidence that Mads is in both movies... ;)
ImageImage
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:00 pm

The Accountant starring Ben Affleck
I'm not really a fan of Mr. Affleck but I enjoyed this movie.
Image Image
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:05 am

What We Do in the Shadows - A brilliant mockumentary about a group of vampires who room together in suburban Wellington, New Zealand. 8.5/10

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:02 am

Brewtality wrote:What We Do in the Shadows - A brilliant mockumentary about a group of vampires who room together in suburban Wellington, New Zealand. 8.5/10

/rock
one of my favorite comedies, like ever, i think!

still waiting on the follow-up about the werewolves...(not swear-wolves!) :giggle:
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:39 pm

HMMMMMM Been a while since I posted in here. Well according to utorrent the last few are .....

Newtown - Docu - A tough watch. Centers on the parents, first responders and teachers. No mention of the perpetrator or gory details, just wall to wall feels.

Monster Trucks - Adventure - What can I say ...... ugh. If someone forces you to watch this make sure you are extremely high. That was probably my mistake.

These Final Hours - Drama - I really enjoyed this. A bit of a different take on the end of the world.

Big Man Japan - Comedy/Sci-Fi - Oh dear GOD! If you love weird and wonderful you MUST see this!! It's .... it's ... I .... well ..... JUST WATCH IT!!! /sillyface
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:27 am

bad back this weekend = new sci-fi movie splurge marathon!!

Here Alone
"A young woman struggles to survive on her own in the wake of a mysterious epidemic that has killed much of society, and forced her deep into the unforgiving wilderness. "
Less of a horror flick than a character study, this film really affected me in a deep way. It's actually really good. The situation in the very beginning drew me right in, and even though it might be a little slow in moments for some people, I found it to be very meditative and thought-provoking. There is a mystery that follows the main character, and when you find out what happened to her, oh man...get some tissues. The ending was a bit strange and the main character does something that didn't make a lot of sense to me at first. but again, it made me really think and now i understand. good little low-budget indie flick with a little bit of "zombie" action thrown in. but most of the tension comes from the characters and your imagination, which i really enjoy.

Bokeh
"On a romantic getaway to Iceland, a young American couple wake up one morning to discover every person on earth has disappeared. Their struggle to survive and to reconcile the mysterious event lead them to reconsider everything they know about themselves and the world."
Another end-of-the-world type scenario that centers around a couple. They are likable enough. The cinematography is amazing as it's filmed entirely in Iceland. so i went along for the ride, which is much like the previous film, slow at times. but for this one I AM NOT HAPPY about my time stolen by watching this entire slow-ass flick for what amounted to an extremely depressing ending and no answers. AVOID!

Atomica
"In the near future, when communications go offline at a remote nuclear power plant isolated in the desert, a young safety inspector, Abby Dixon, is forced to fly out to bring them back online. Once inside the facility, mysterious clues and strange behaviors cause Abby to have doubts about the sanity, and perhaps identities, of the two employees onsite. "
sounds better than it is. the entire film ends up amounting to all of absolutely nothing in the end. and yet another one that ends on bit of a depressing note, making me want my time back yet again. AVOID!

A Cure for Wellness
"An ambitious young executive is sent to retrieve his company's CEO from an idyllic but mysterious "wellness center" at a remote location in the Swiss Alps, but soon suspects that the spa's treatments are not what they seem."
i really enjoyed this one. the story is well-paced and the mystery unfolds in some disturbing ways. well-scripted, well-acted. Dane DeHaan really surprised me as prior roles made me think that he doesn't have much range. the ending is a tiny bit corny but the rest of the film makes it forgivable. has some great creepy moments!

The Discovery
"A love story set one year after the existence of the afterlife is scientifically verified. "
yeah it's a "love story" but it's also a sci-fi mystery. it's not the greatest film ever, but totally watchable. i really enjoyed Jason Segal's performance since normally he plays comedic roles. it's all around pretty decent.

Ghost in the Shell (2017)
"In the near future, Major is the first of her kind: A human saved from a terrible crash, who is cyber-enhanced to be a perfect soldier devoted to stopping the world's most dangerous criminals."
meh. i'm a super-fan of the original anime so i wasn't expecting much. but it was actually worse than my low expectations. not only is it entirely way dumbed-down, they literally stripped out ALL of the philosophy as well as Major's inner dialog that makes the story have so much more meaning. instead they turned it into a cheap eye-candy action flick, complete with a cheesy one-liner end kill. and in regards to the casting of a white woman instead of an asian? well, they actually incorporate white-washing into the plot in the most literal sense possible. that really soured it for me. just watch knowing that it's all about the effects and main actress looking mostly nude. definitely won't make you think much about anything other than perhaps wanting to rewatch the anime afterwords to cleanse the palette.

Life
"A team of scientists aboard the International Space Station discover a rapidly evolving life form, that caused extinction on Mars, and now threatens the crew and all life on Earth. "
this is the best of the lot. great cast, effects, and tension that hearkens back to the original Alien film, which it obviously owes everything to. it's like a really, really great well-made B-movie. it has some great freakout moments and the entire situation made my knuckles white with the anticipation of the inevitable. and the ending...nailed it. you WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED if you're a sci-fi fan. it gets it right.

in fact, my new catch-phrase is "FUCK CALVIN". watch and you'll feel me on that! :giggle:

-------------------------------------------------

i do wish to clarify that i don't need movies to end on an upbeat or happy note...not at all. in fact i normally hold high respect for filmakers who do not necessarily tie everything up with a neat little bow at the end with icing and a cheerful cherry on top. but there is a right way and wrong way to accomplish this. audiences need to see at least to some degree that the story is worthy of is bleak ending or "everyone dies" scenario. Atomica and Bokeh did it wrong. but Life totally gets it right.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed May 24, 2017 6:57 am

Alien: Covenant

holy fucknuts!!!!!!!!
Ridley Scott went hardcore in this one! tense as hell, crazy crazy action sequences, breathtaking visuals, beautiful *real old-fashioned* score....everything its predecessor was missing imho. i'm still slightly confused about the overall mythology, though...lol. it did seem to make things a little bit clearer than Prometheus did however. maybe one small moment that felt a bit corny, but fans of the franchise will surely enjoy this one!

think of it as 'The Empire Strikes Back" of the Alien prequel series ;-)

also, look for Blade Runner easter eggs...
(fella and i have a theory: the Alien world & Blade Runner are really from the same universe, and it has everything to do with the Synthetics / Replicants....)
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed May 24, 2017 6:25 pm

I still need to watch it... the critical reaction had me a bit worried, but your reaction has me feeling better about it. ;)
ImageImage

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”