The last movie I watched was ......

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
Brewtality
novice ninja

Re: The last movie I watched was ......

Postby Brewtality » Thu May 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Dr. Strange - Cringe-inducingly bad. I'm a big fan of the Marvel films and have enjoyed all of them apart from those last two Iron Man films which were a bit weak story-wise. However, this was just a big steaming turd. Benedict Cumberbatch is a fine actor but looked out of place from the start. His accent was poor and he has the wrong kind of charisma to carry off that role. The storyline also moved WAY too fast. Dr. Strange went from being a reckless and arrogant newcomer to essentially the saviour of this secret order in no time at all. He just about learned to use his powers and then was instantly promoted to one of the top positions. Then there's the strange 'twist' with the Ancient One which was so weak as to be funny. It's a shame because I was looking forward to it but no, it was just rubbish.

THX 1138 - I finally got round to watching George Lucas' debut and I'm glad I waited until I was old enough to get it! A really cool sci-fi thinker with minimal exposition and hand-holding. I really, really dug it. It's a hard one to describe but definitely worth checking out.

NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu May 25, 2017 5:42 pm

Feydakin wrote:I still need to watch it... the critical reaction had me a bit worried, but your reaction has me feeling better about it. ;)

i never listen to 'the critics'. what makes their opinion any more 'worthy' than anyone else's? the fact they get paid and get theirs printed?? fuck that. i listen to people i know who have similar tastes as i find that overall, most of the time i end up totally disagreeing with the critics' reviews. not to mention, i honestly think some of the time they tend to slam more popular titles just to raise their snob-cred and make themselves look & feel smarter than everyone else.
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Sat May 27, 2017 9:17 pm

John Wick 2 ... it was okay.
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon May 29, 2017 10:23 pm

john wick 2.. all occultish symbolism and imagery aside, i loved it. gun-fu is a fascinating style to me
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon May 29, 2017 10:24 pm

/rotfl oh and fist fight... man, i havent laughed that much in a long time!
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue May 30, 2017 10:39 pm

LOGAN - Amazing...
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Feydakin wrote:LOGAN - Amazing...

ad heartbreaking!!!

finally watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2. not sure why people are loving it better than the first one. baby Groot is cute but over-used for one thing. but the overall plot didn't do a whole lot for me or amount to much at the end. some cute moments, and Drax & Rocket are always a good giggle, but that's about it.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:15 am

/flame WONDER WOMAN /flame

ok, so i've literally been waiting all of my LIFE for this film. as much as Batman vs. Superman sucked, WW was a huge highlight and made it worthwhile to some degree. but with DC's cinematic overall track-record, i've been soooo apprehensive about it.

and then it was finally released, and the reviews started rolling in. praise from critics, and praise from fans and friends.

they are not wrong.

i have not had this much fun with a movie in forever! OMG they actually did her justice (pun intended?)!!! i LOVED IT SO MUCH. SOOOOO MUCH! aside from the continual use of those damn 300 / Syder-esque slow-mo fight-scene moments that for some reason people still seem to think looks cool, DC has really brought it's game with this flick. basically, they got everything else right. the script for one is excellent. they really portrayed her compassion and love for protecting innocent life in a way that actually had me verklempt more than once...in a way that makes you think that she cares even more than Superman. it also might be one of the better "fish out of water" stories to grace the screen in awhile, as they were able to avoid so many of the common tropes that make those kind of moments so cringe-worthy they take you out of the movie. her naivety mixed with the force-of-nature that she truly is...it's such a lovely combination that plays well all through the plot. Chris Pine was a joy. Robin Wright is an awesome Amazon warrior. the look & feel wasn't overly shiny, didn't feel like i was mostly watching green-screens, and instead had some real grit to it. it has emotion, intelligence, beauty (even i have a crush on that actress now, lol)...and the most kickass fight scenes involving a woman since Ripley took on Aliens. i simply cannot say enough great things about it!

as a little girl who used to spin in front of her TV on Saturday mornings along with Linda Carter as she transformed from Diana Price into the second major on-screen female role-model i grew up with after Princess Leia, it meant the WORLD to me that they got this one so, so right. hell, might as well just say:

<3 NAILED IT. <3

PS: it is now the highest-grossing film ever directed by a female director, too....though it's still sad that has to even be mentioned.
ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.

Postby ghostdogg » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Doctor Strange... surprisingly amazing!!
ghostdogg

Postby ghostdogg » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:20 pm

ink wrote:/rotfl oh and fist fight... man, i havent laughed that much in a long time!

oh man, dying to see that!
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:15 am

Captain America - Civil War

Just because it is on Netflix
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:59 am

re; Doctor Strange - Read the comics. Start from the beginning. He's one of my favorites of ALL time, from any universe. I loved the movie.

Rob Zombie's 31 - meh. It was better than Lord of Salem and Halloween 2, but that ain't saying much. I mean it wasn't bad at all as horror movies go, but I guess I just expect more from him.

I rewatch a lot of random old stuff all the time, but I really need to try and watch more new stuff. I'm way behind. :wink:
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
ghostdogg

Postby ghostdogg » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:22 am

Feydakin wrote:re; Doctor Strange - Read the comics. Start from the beginning. He's one of my favorites of ALL time, from any universe. I loved the movie.

Definitely reading the comics now; can't believe I slept on this until now.
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:43 am

Kill Switch

Found it OnDemand and one 30 minute call to Spectrum and 10.99 later I finally got to watch it. It was a really cool movie, I really liked the way that it was done and the acting actually was really good. The storyline, while typical of movies of this type, it was still nice to see something else brought to the table.

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:03 am

Skywalker wrote:Kill Switch

Found it OnDemand and one 30 minute call to Spectrum and 10.99 later I finally got to watch it. It was a really cool movie, I really liked the way that it was done and the acting actually was really good. The storyline, while typical of movies of this type, it was still nice to see something else brought to the table.

oh cool i wanted to see this, as i've been digging Dan Stevens in whatever i see him in lately - especially Legion
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:31 pm

If you would like a good cry might I suggest..

The Zookeeper's Wife

Just watched it, wonderful movie.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:08 am

Kong: Skull Island! As giant monster movies go that was freaking awesome! The climactic battle was damned epic. All the little Easter eggs were great and that post credit scene?! #kaiju I want to watch it again, and that never happens! Great movie!

Theresa fell asleep so it gives me an excuse. ;)
ImageImage
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:37 am

Let See...

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Thor (this one kind of sucked, as I have only now seen it three times.. unlike the Iron Man movies).

That is just today... started rewatching Iron Man because my dad liked the movie when it came out. Then decided to watch the other ones, you know cause if you watch the first ones... you need to watch the other ones.

Interesting Note, Iron Man 3 was filmed a bunch here in NC. I knew that much, but then I started to read the other areas and one is Rose Hill. Which just for some odd reason just ticked the hell out of me.

I have more Marvel movies to watch.
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:45 am

Harry Potter 3- to the last one.

Cause why not and they were on Freeform. I owned them, but the damn kids in the hood scratched the shit out of 'em. At least they got watched and not sat on some shelf not to be enjoyed.

I really like the Harry Potter Movies.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:48 am

i did a whole Marvel rewatch awhile back when i was sick...all in order. it was a blast! Iron Man 3 is probably my least favorite of them all. i really love the first Captain American the most, probably. i really dig the period stuff. makes me really miss Agent Carter. damn them for cancelling that show!!!

same thing with Harry Potter! i love those films, too...and they are also so much fun to marathon all together! the second one (Chamber of Secrets) is the weakest, and i think my favorite is Prisoner of Azkaban. heck, any time Gary Oldman shows up is great by me. i just love getting drawn into that whole little world. wonderful escapism! /nod
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:45 pm

It was definitely CREEPEH!
I would have liked a little more explanation as to why that specific room was so bad...guess I could read the story.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:24 pm

ImageImage
Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Masterminds - Four southern dumbasses commit a robbery -- yep. Just as it sounds. It is on Netflix.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:10 am

girlapaloo wrote:Image

It was definitely CREEPEH!
I would have liked a little more explanation as to why that specific room was so bad...guess I could read the story.

i dig that one...had some good creeps to it indeed!

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”