Universal Classic Monster Movie Remakes and why Universal is Dropping the Ball

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Universal Classic Monster Movie Remakes and why Universal is Dropping the Ball

Postby Feydakin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:42 pm

First off, let's look at the recently released trailer for The Mummy with Tom fucking Cruise...

The more I think about The Mummy remake the more angry it makes me. Universal is just shitting all over their legacy and missing a golden opportunity to make some really amazing movies. Instead they're just going to make bog standard, over the top tent pole "blockbuster" style movies that bear zero resemblance to the beloved and vaunted originals. Sure, yes, they have all been done, redone, revisited literally dozens of times over the last 80 plus years, but this is UNIVERSAL. These are THEIR properties that have paid them dividends in real money and fandom since the beginnings of the film industry. I'm not OK with this. If I were in charge and heard these pitched to me, just coming up with these asinine ideas would have gotten people fired...

If this is what we can expect from the rest of the series, then please GOD make them stop!
/utf
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Re: Universal Classic Monster Movie Remakes and why Universal is Dropping the Ball

Postby Feydakin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:58 pm

I vividly remember the first time I watched the original. I was sleeping on the couch at my grandmothers house on a weekend night. The local PBS station used to play old Universal horror movies and sometimes even the racier Hammer horror films late at night. I set an old wind up alarm clock for 1:00am so that I could wake up and watch The Mummy in case I fell asleep! I put it under my pillow but tried not to fall asleep.

It was in vain, and the alarm went off at 1 and I quickly muffled the clock under my pillow so as not to wake up my grandmother. Then I spent the next hour and thirteen minutes enraptured at amazing Egyptian lore and creepy Boris Karloff as Imhotep, the mummy... It actually sparked an interest in me in ancient Egyptian culture, which I remember reading a lot about at the library afterwards.

It's these types of memories that Universal is now ruining by not elevating their own properties above the rabble that has for the most part been the mediocre if sometimes fun movies that have come since the original was released. The only ones that came close were the classic Hammer films of the '50s through the '70s. Wasted potential, squandered opportunity if this is as bad as the trailer makes it look...
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Re: Universal Classic Monster Movie Remakes and why Universal is Dropping the Ball

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:21 am

wowwww. ok i'm coming back to this after i go throw up a few times. /62
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:28 am

Shitty tom Cruise strikes again.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:56 am

My advice would be to just ignore it.

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”