Arrival (2016)

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Arrival (2016)

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:32 pm

Arrival

Synopsis:
When mysterious spacecrafts touch down across the globe, an elite team - lead by expert linguist Louise Banks (Amy Adams) - is brought together to investigate. As mankind teeters on the verge of global war, Banks and the team race against time for answers – and to find them, she will take a chance that could threaten her life, and quite possibly humanity.

Starring: Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Forest Whitaker

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Phelon's Review: It has a brag worthy 8.4/10 on IMDB, 93% on the Tomatoemeter, and 82% of rotten tomatoes viewers said they liked it. This is not your typical alien vs. humans movie whatsoever. It is definitely a "thinker." If you "get it," then I think you will like it. If you fail to catch on to the complex plot, then you may be left wondering "what just happened?" I truly enjoyed the movie and am glad I saw it in the cinema, rather than on DVD or streaming.

Streaming: Currently in theatres
IMDB: Arrival IMDB
Trailer:
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Re: Arrival (2016)

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:10 am

my fella started this without me and was freaking out the entire time over how good it was. definitely plan to check it out asap since it's pretty much my favorite genre...hard sci-fi /nerd
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:53 am

wowwwwwww.

i am so completely floored by this movie. it's extremely rare for me to say a film is truly phenomenal. beautiful. hands-down THE best science fiction film to involve alien life in ages...maybe even since Close Encounters. it did everything that Interstellar was attempting to do, but whereas Interstellar was bogged down under the weight of its visual effects and had a plot that once dissected completely falls apart, Arrival communicates it's message in a very minimalist, elegant, straight-through-you way. it builds and builds and when it falls together it is a work of art. not to mention, how the world reacts to an invasion is portayed in the most detailed and realistic way i've ever seen done in ANY story, let alone a movie. or at least how i'd imagine things might go down in our current global climate.

seriously, i cannot recommend this movie more to fans of solid, amazing, thinking sci-fi.

oh yeah, and after seeing what this director can do, i now feel like i can truly look forward to the Blade Runner sequel he's working on. /nod
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:54 am

damn.
actually, it might just be better than Close Encounters...
DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool

Postby DJ_Darkside » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:26 am

I have this and will be watching it soon. Also: ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain

Spoiler: show
ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
/anna hack! :kiss:
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:49 pm

ok so i maybe jumped the gun saying it's better than Close Encounters...they're both very different films. i think the similarities, besides the obvious subject matter, is the fact both protagonists had a controversial decision to make at the end. Spielberg has stated that he made CE before he had a family and likely would not have his main character up and leave his loved ones like he did in the film. i need to still ponder the ending of Arrival...more to come on the decision made at the end of it...
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:29 am

Watched this last night and absolutely loved it. I really wasn't expecting it to take that turn 2/3 of the way through but I absolutely loved it. It had such an original approach and I loved how it ended. I don't know how spoilery we want to get here so I can't really say much more yet!

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:41 am

Brewtality wrote:Watched this last night and absolutely loved it. I really wasn't expecting it to take that turn 2/3 of the way through but I absolutely loved it. It had such an original approach and I loved how it ended. I don't know how spoilery we want to get here so I can't really say much more yet!

yayyyy isn't it sooooo guuuuuud?!?!?! (sun)
as long as you hide stuff in spoiler tags please, discuss freely!

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”