NEWS! Denis Villeneuve is rebooting 'Dune'!

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
Blissfully Oblivious

NEWS! Denis Villeneuve is rebooting 'Dune'!

Postby Feydakin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Denis Villeneuve is rebooting 'Dune' ... ting-dune/

The "Sicario" and "Arrival" director will helm the latest adaptation of Frank Herbert's spicy sci-fi epics.

Denis Villeneuve is adding another sci-fi classic to his resume as he's set to direct the planned new film adaptation of "Dune".

It's looking to be a good year for the "Sicario" director. He's up for a swathe of Oscars for "Arrival", and whose "Blade Runner 2049" sequel arrives in October. First "Blade Runner", now "Dune" -- he'll be rebooting "Battlefield Earth" next, mark my words.

Legendary pictures bought the rights to "Dune" at the end of last year and reportedly has plans to tell new stories in both movie and TV form. The news was announced by Brian Herbert, son of "Dune" author Frank Herbert and one of the producers of the proposed adaptation.

Frank Herbert wrote six novels in the "Dune" series, beginning in 1965. The bookswere adapted into David Lynch's 1984 movie, as well as two TV miniseries. But it's not an easy story to adapt -- a failed 1970s version masterminded by cult director Alejando Jodorowsky was the subject of the fascinating documentary "Jodorowsky's Dune".

This virtually assures that the first and maybe only thing we're going to see is a movie, maybe a series of movies. I'd much rather they JUST do a TV show.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Re: Denis Villeneuve is rebooting 'Dune

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:24 am

if they could do a show where it's film-quality, like Westworld....and even take the time like they take to make Westworld where they don't have a new season *every* year...? THAT could be totally watchable and i'll say right now i'm all in!

on a side note, fella has this time-travel dream where he goes back into an alternate timeline to see the films that never got made but should have, and of course one of the ones he'd go back to watch is Jodorowsky's Dune. :-D

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”