Movie Recommendations: Movies you HAVE to watch!

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
Charmosa
God

Re: Movie Recommendations: Movies you HAVE to watch!

Postby Charmosa » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:51 am

Anyone hear about this one? HyperNormalisation.

"The term "hypernormalisation" is taken from Alexei Yurchak's 2006 book Everything was Forever, Until it was No More: The Last Soviet Generation,[3] about the paradoxes of life in the Soviet Union during the late communistperiod shortly before it collapsed, when everyone knew the system was failing but no one could imagine any alternative to the status quo, and politicians and citizens were resigned to maintaining a pretence of a functioning society.[4] Over time, this delusion became a self-fulfilling prophecy and the "fakeness" was accepted by everyone as real, an effect which Yurchak termed hypernormalisation."
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:42 pm

hmm.. no i havent curious
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:30 pm

Charmosa wrote:I don't know about you, but I'm prepping for Halloween already with horror movies. The worst genre for good movies. Seriously, why so hard to find a scary movie? I love a lot of cheesy horror movies (Re-Animator being one of my all time favs) but legitimately scary? Soo hard. I looked for rec's online and recently watched The Witch and The Invitation. Both were great and I would recommend. The Witch is a thoroughly researched telling of a Puritan family in pre-Salem America that combines a lot of real stories of witches from that time. It is a little slow and the Biblical English sometimes hard to follow, but I think the pacing works for the story and the language adds to the realism. Got some good scares, too. The Invitation is more of a psychological thriller than a horror movie, I suppose. But it messes with your mind and really keeps you watching the movie closely. What are they up to? Are they in a hippie death cult? Am I overreacting? It pulls you one way then the other and it was so much fun to watch. Yelling at the TV, then literally leaning forward on the edge of the couch. If anyone has any other seriously scary movies to recommend, please send them my way. For the record, I HATE Paranormal Activity. It's NOT scary and it's BORING. So keep that in mind when making rec's.

i loved The Witch i thought it was a great build-up and overall classy film. been wondering about The Invitation thanks for the tip on that.

hmmm....films that are genuinely scary/creepy/disturbing...some more recent movies are tough for sure...

i was pretty creeped-the-hell-out by Sinister. i really liked it though some people poo-poo it.
The Conjuring wasn't too bad, either.
the first Insidious definitely had me jump a few times and has some genuinely creepy moments.
i enjoyed Wolf Creek, and High Tension was crazy messed-up.
OH and the Evil Dead REMAKE....holy crap i was completely not expecting it to be as good & terrifying as it was!

oh and please say you've seen Cabin in the Woods? being a horror fan you have to see what it does with the genre!
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:11 pm

ink wrote:

at some point im going to have to watch this.. i just know that it will be difficult because it only confirms what already live...

but!
i continue to hear that it is very well done, in a way that provides great insight into US history. context.

In an interview with The Washington Post, DuVernay said she initially sought to make a documentary that explored “the idea that there are companies making millions of dollars off the punishment of human beings.” But the documentary inevitably turns to current conversations about the criminal justice system and the fatal police shootings of African Americans.

“As I delved into [the prison labor industry], I found that you couldn’t fully tell that story without giving it historical and cultural context,” said DuVernay.

source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/art ... f-slavery/

i am finished.. :cry:

no words.. only the stillness that is longsuffering and contemplation.

Spoiler: show
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

rc44
ninja with training wheels

Postby rc44 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:03 am

I came across this documentary called twinsters.
It's an incredible story of identical twins separated at birth who have no idea the other exists and the journey after.

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”