Every frame a painting

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:13 pm

On youtube, if you search "Every frame a painting" ...... its unbelievably amazing and insightful. you learn why you like what you like about movies, the difference between different styles of shots, and all the hard work that goes into the directing, creation and shooting of scenes side of films, and what sticks out compared to the norm.

I found it very educational and inspiring, and it really activated how I think about movies on a metacognitive level. I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys movies or has a favorite director.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:30 pm

There's a bunch of these too.....

One explores how much of a perfectionist Jackie Chan is as a director. You know he'd practice those stunts hundreds of times until success???? You gain a real appreciation of directing from these. Just a quick example: in Jackies movies, you can tell who is punching who because it's either shot in one take with few cuts, or if they do cut, it's before the blow is thrown so you can keep track of who is punching and who is getting punched.

I fucking DARE you to watch The Expensables or most recent action movies the last 5 years..... It's just a ton of cuts and you can't tell who is on the giving or receiving end of the blow. And if you tell me you knew who was doing what to who in most action scenes in The Expendibles, you're a dirty fucking liar and it will be hard for me to trust anything you say. That's how bad the cinematography/camera shots were.

Another explores an older comedy director who would use different types of shots and perspectives for different comedy gags.

There's really a handful of them on various things on the directors side. I really suggest these 10-15 YouTube clips if you like movies in the least bit. It'll up your appreciation of a good film and good directing.
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:47 am

I'll check that out this evening, thanks for the recommendation! One of my favourite films is Dr. Strangelove (Or How etc...) and I swear that you could freeze frame at any point and end up with a beautiful image.

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Wed May 18, 2016 12:29 pm

really good stuff tks for the tip
Image Image
est 1953

Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Fri May 27, 2016 4:08 am

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It really gives a perspective on the important details that go into directing. Now I know why I hate and like certain movies. All the scenes really add up, the way they are done and how the story is expressed through direction of dialogue and action.

This YouTube series really opened my eyes.
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Sun May 29, 2016 1:34 pm

The one line which opened my eyes to film-making was:

"There is nothing that you see on screen that is a mistake. Everything that is on the screen and the way it it presented there has been put there by the director for a very specific reason".

That really got me thinking about lighting and shot composition and editing the importance of every single frame.

Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon May 30, 2016 8:34 am

Brewtality wrote:The one line which opened my eyes to film-making was:

"There is nothing that you see on screen that is a mistake. Everything that is on the screen and the way it it presented there has been put there by the director for a very specific reason".

That really got me thinking about lighting and shot composition and editing the importance of every single frame.

VERY true!!! And how some directors jsut DONT GIVE A FUCK and film everything as one person talking to another. no change in scene or dynamic, just boring dialogue presented the same the whole time. fuuuuuuuuck that!

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”