Female Directors - Characters - Actors

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:26 am

I was browsing through this years Tribeca Film Festival and Cinema Con articles and YouTube interviews. I stumbles upon a show called Girls On Film on Hitfix. The name says it all really. I realized I never really seek out and support female directors. Mostly because there are so few. But, that is a shit excuse. I am becoming much more aware of strong female characters and seeing them in leading roles more often. (ie: the new Star Wars films) It would be great if the amount of eye-candy characters were equally men and women. That goes for onscreen nudity too.

Anyone have recommendations? Someone to keep an eye out for or has done great work?

Here's a link to the site I found myself browsing.
http://www.hitfix.com/videos/browse/girls-on-film

Links would be great too!

**amended to include anime, graphic novels, all art forms including positive female portrayal or female authors.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:58 pm

awesome idea for a thread
i will return to this once im back from vacation!
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:03 pm

The only other director that really stands out in my mind is Sofia Coppola.
Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice was an early female lead that wasn't a one-dimentional character. There are many more recently (thankfully). I thought it would be cool to hear what stands out in the minds of other people too.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Sun May 01, 2016 8:10 am

/bump

you sexist sons of bitches :D
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sun May 01, 2016 8:26 am

I know this isnt the same, but I found Kill la Kill to be one of my favorite badass female lead stories unfold. It is an anime, done by the same studio that did Gurren Lagann I believe. It makes fun of anime tropes and the fighting anime genre, as well as having its serious tones and emotions. It was quite powerful for me. Excuse her very revealing outfit transformation though. It really is there to poke fun at all the other "Transformation Girl" series, but EVERYTHING about this anime is over the top. Thats how this studio rolls. It's really, really powerful.

Another movie I loved with strong female lead, which most people did not enjoy is Sucker Punch. Directed by Zack Snyder, but really powerful female lead Emily Browning knocked this out of the park! All three girls that were the main characters KILLED IT in this film. Vanessa Hudgens and Abbie Cornish Starred as the other two main girls. Very powerful and inspiring mindfuck sort of movie. YOU HAVE to kind of embrace it like an anime movie/graphic novel movie and be willing to kick up your suspension of disbelief. I thought the way the film was done was really excellent. I cant say much about it without giving stuff away, just watch it with an open mind and I think you'll enjoy it.

TBH I like the way anime deals with strong, female leads. Maybe because it can get away with more since its animated? I also see much more of a female presence as a strong lead in anime as opposed to live action. I could probably name at least 10 series that had strong female leads that I really enjoyed. If you're interested at all, I can give you those titles.

I hear you loud and clear and agree fully: There ARE NOT nearly as many strong female roles in Hollywood movies as there should be. I tend to really enjoy the few Ive seen.
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Sun May 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Rivoc wrote:I know this isnt the same.

Anime totally works in this scenario. I will add female driven story lines. I have to say, due to the way the female characters are drawn in anime, I never really thought of it as being pro-female. I probably haven't given it a fair shake. I would like to know which titles to check out. Graphic novels too. Another thing I should add really.

I've seen Sucker Punch, not my favorite film but it has some pretty awesome kick ass girl characters.

I think a good way to combat the stereotypical roles that are so rampant in Hollywood is to give them more attention. Give attention to female entertainment in the books, movies theaters, watch them on TV, OnDemand...read a book. Let someone know it is worth focusing on. Often I go online and give love to these types of movies on Social Media...spread the word. Raise awareness I suppose.
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Mon May 02, 2016 3:03 am

Female Actors that need more/better roles:

Lucy Lawless (Everything, and I want more~!)
Ellen Hollman (Spartacus)
Katrina Law (Spartacus/Arrow)
Bridget Regan (Legend of the Seeker/John Wick/The Last Ship/Agent Carter)
Tabrett Bethell (Legend of the Seeker/Mistresses)
Eva Green (Penny Dreadful/Camelot)
Paige Turco (The 100/Person of Interest/April O Neil in original TMNT 2 and 3)
Eliza Taylor (The 100/Neighbours)
Marie Avgeropoulos (The 100)
Lindsey Morgan (The 100/General Hospital)
Adina Porter (The 100/True Blood)
Rekha Sharma (The 100/BSG)
Dichen Lachman (The 100/Agents of Shield/Dollhouse)
Erica Cerra (The 100/Eureka)
Jessica Harmon (The 100/Izombie/BSG Face of the Enemy)
Aisha Tyler (Archer/Criminal Minds/The Talk)

I am obviously partial to women from The 100 TV show.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Mon May 02, 2016 3:09 am

Yay, this gives me a lot to look into. Thanks!
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Wed May 11, 2016 7:54 pm

ACLU ‘Encouraged’ by Federal Probe on Dearth of Female Directors

Excerpt: The federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs launched an investigation after receiving their request, in the form of a lengthy letter citing statistical and anecdotal evidence of gender bias. Although the investigation is still ongoing, the ACLU SoCal said that they were “encouraged by the scope of the government’s process and are hopeful that the government will be moving to a more targeted phase.”
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sat May 14, 2016 3:03 am

Neon Genesis Evangelion is full of strong female roles, and explores their plight to get where they are, a bit. Its hard to follow the main story. From what i was told, the original creator went nuts and either died or disappeared half way through, and they got someone else to take over who didnt know his original intention, but had a big background in theology.
Arguably, its like the anime version of star wars, as in one of the most popular series that sucked people into anime. Its very VERY ahead of its time.
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Sat May 14, 2016 5:47 am

Negative article followed by positive one.

Female directors seize the limelight at Cannes film festival

Rivoc-Neon Genesis Evangelion, another anime story I'm not familiar with. My list of anime knowledge to get caught up on is getting fairly large. I love having a big sample of selections to choose from. For this one you had me at "Anime version of Star Wars" :)
Charmosa
God

Postby Charmosa » Mon May 16, 2016 5:36 pm

I really love the TV show Absolutely Fabulous. It's satire, written and performed by women for women. Most men I've watched it with don't think it's very funny, probably because they don't intimately know the bullshit world of beauty and fashion women (and gay men) are more likely to be familiar with. As an adult I don't really involve hardly any thought into that superficial world, but growing up it was seemingly unavoidable. My mom talked constantly about her wrinkles, and how fat people should dress, and if someone did or didn't get plastic surgery, and whether she should. I consumed garbage teen magazines and tv and even watched red carpet "Who are you wearing?" shit. I didn't buy into it, I just found it amusing, but it was there in my subconscious. Then when I was 16 I found AbFab and it was like something I could watch with any woman, even my mother, and laugh at each other and ourselves.

Another good one is this all woman french musical called 8 Femmes. It's a murder mystery musical with the only male character having no lines or screen time. It's set in the 50's and the colors and costumes and makeup are beautiful to look at, the songs are fun, and you get so many different types of characters. It's also got some cool/fucked up plot twists that you expect from a french film. Again, not really a big hit with the guys, but c'est la vie.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon May 16, 2016 6:37 pm

anynoise wrote:Negative article followed by positive one.

Female directors seize the limelight at Cannes film festival

Rivoc-Neon Genesis Evangelion, another anime story I'm not familiar with. My list of anime knowledge to get caught up on is getting fairly large. I love having a big sample of selections to choose from. For this one you had me at "Anime version of Star Wars" :)

:)

It is like as monumental for anime as Star Wars was for Sci Fi
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon May 16, 2016 8:49 pm

Three words; Gale. Anne. Hurd.

Talk about bad ass women in Hollywood, she is a queen. Just check out her producer credits if you don't believe me.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005036/
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”