Your Top 5 Horror Movies of All Time & Horror Movies Discussion

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Your Top 5 Horror Movies of All Time & Horror Movies Discussion

Postby Feydakin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:52 pm

Feydakin's Top 5 Favorite Horror Movies!
-----------------------------------------------
Art by BigChris: http://bigchrisgallery.deviantart.com/

1. George Romero's Dawn of the Dead - As with so many others, this was my introduction to the modern zombie. I watched it on VHS in the early 80's. I spent an entire weekend at my grandma's house rewinding and rewatching DotD over and over again...
Spoiler: show

2. John Carpenter's Halloween - I just love Carpenter's style. This is his masterpiece. The quintessential slasher movie.

3. John Carpenter's The Thing - While everyone else was gushing over E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, I was gushing over the blood from The Thing. Rob Bottin's best, most creative works.

4. John Carpenter's The Fog - Classic ghost story, so atmospheric. Some of my favorite of John Carpenter's scores. Amazing locations.

5. Creepshow - The horror anthology to beat all IMO. Just oozes that old E.C. Comics vibe, Vault of Horror, Tales from the Crypt, Weird Science, etc.

-----------------------------------------------

Yes, a lot of the same folks on that list. I am a child of '70s and '80s horror. That was/is my jam. It's where the nostalgia hits me. Those are the five horror movies that I go back to most frequently, in no particular order. ;)

I'll be doing a few of these threads for genres that I care about. Please if you post a video embed I would request that you place it in spoiler tags so the thread doesn't get too unwieldy to load! Thanks!

Please remember, this isn't "The Best XY Movies..." it's your favorite movies in the genre. These are personal choices, the ones that mean the most to you. There are no right or wrong answers here.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:19 pm

The Shining
It Follows
Let The Right One In (Foreign Version)
Ringu (not The Ring)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Probably forgetting a bunch I like more...but those are the ones that came to mind first.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:48 pm

OMG Feyd! You are totes making me miss my Netflix account right now.
Image Image
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:22 pm

There are SO many horror movies to talk about, so many truly great ones that you couldn't possibly do justice to the variety and depth of the genre with a top five list. So by all means, use this thread to display your top 5, and also feel free to discuss horror movies, mention ones you couldn't fit on your list, etc...
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:16 pm

I don't think I've seen many of the recent horror films. Any suggestions? Green Room is one that I put on my to watch list.

The first scary movie I watched was Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I was not allowed to see it, so I sat at the back of the hallway and watched it when I was supposed to be in bed. (I was 5ish) I had nightmares for years. And, I have not watched it since. One, I don't want it to be cheesy and ruin the picture in my head. Two (a less likely scenario), I don't want to relive those childhood nightmares.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:12 pm

The Thing - So much scareh! and Kurt Russell.
The Shining - Plain awesome.
Jaws - Classic scareh.
A Nightmare on Elm Street - Love Freddy's humorous side.
28 Days Later - I was scared.

Honorable Mention:
Alien - I was scared.
Evil Dead 2 - It was funneh.
The Cabin in the Woods - Really freaky scareh.
Puppet Master - Campy goodness.
Image Image
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:54 pm

Yeah I debated putting Jaws in my top 5... Might be interchangeable with The Fog or Creepshow. Jaws is a movie I would stop and watch at the drop of a hat at any given moment. I saw it last year in the theater again when they did a special release. It's on the schedule at the local outdoor theater this summer. ;)
ImageImage
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:00 pm

JAWS was probably the first scary movie memory I have from childhood. I wouldn't be able to forget if I wanted to! :lol:
Image Image
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:38 pm

I'm just going to write my list blind and not look at anyone else's posts. If this ends up being edited, that's why.

Right.

1) Zombie Flesh Eaters/Zombi 2 - What a fun film! A really cool zombie film where the zombies are supernatural and the product of some [implied] voodoo magic. It's a great example of Italian horror and was directed by the legendary Lucio Fulci who was recruited to make a sequel to Dario Argento's re-edited Italian version of Dawn of the Dead. There's an underwater zombie who fights a shark (a real one at that); a gory eyeball skewering and zombie conquistadors. Watch it!

2) Alien - I always loved Star Wars and when I first saw Alien as a kid, it looked to me like a horror version of Star Wars. A wonderful film.

3) The Wicker Man - No. Not the Nic Cage film. The disappearance of a young girl on a remote Scottish island brings a strict religious policeman into a community of pagans led by the enigmatic Lord Summerisle (Christopher Lee). A concise and brilliant horror/thriller. Very creepy indeed and quite shocking at the end.

4) The Fly - Another one I probably watched too young. The bit where the dude gets his arm snapped in half stuck with me for quite a while! The Fly is the first horror film which truly disgusted me. Seeing heads explode is one thing but seeing a dude's fingernails and jaw fall off and having Jeff Goldblum's excellent performance really make you feel what it would be like to have that happen to you make it a really impactful film - for me at least.

5) The Blair Witch Project - I haven't seen it since the cinema but it was probably my generation's horror film and so it has to be in the list for me. Very memorable and the first example of the 'found footage' film I'd ever seen. It creeped me out like crazy when I saw it and whenever I'm in a forest, I think of it.

girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:42 pm

I definitely thought about The Fly, and The Blair Witch Project also - both very honorable mentions!

I like the whole found footage concept, like how Paranormal Activity showed "footage" from their home security cameras.
Image Image
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:29 pm

I could do a whole thread just on Italian horror from that era... Argento, Fulci, Bava. Zombie (as we call it in the US) could easily fit into my top ten as a representative of Italian Horror. As could Suspiria or even Demons.

The Blair Witch Project would easily be in my top twenty. I was fortunate enough to see it in the theater on opening night when the hype was still very high for it. That was an experience! People were still wondering whether or not the story was real, so it really hit people. You could hear a pin drop in there for most of the movie, especially towards the end.
ImageImage
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:51 pm

I was working in a movie rental shop the year Blair Witch came out. The hype was unbelievable. I was definitely wondering if it was based on a true story!
Image Image
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:51 am

1. Scream - All of them
2. Barricade - Eric McCormack
3. Twixt - Val Kilmer
4. The Traveler - Val Kilmer
5. The Thaw - Val Kilmer

I like lesser known, low budget movies. Val Kilmer is an underrated actor for his horror flicks.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:14 pm

Speaking of low budget movies...

/list above updated to include PUPPET MASTER in my honorable mentions

:)
Image Image
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:49 pm

Speaking of Italian horror; This day in 1981 Lucio Fulci's "The Beyond" was unleashed! ;)
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:50 pm

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:1. Scream - All of them
2. Barricade - Eric McCormack
3. Twixt - Val Kilmer
4. The Traveler - Val Kilmer
5. The Thaw - Val Kilmer

I like lesser known, low budget movies. Val Kilmer is an underrated actor for his horror flicks.

Apparently you like Val Kilmer a lot... ;)
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:55 pm

girlapaloo wrote:JAWS was probably the first scary movie memory I have from childhood. I wouldn't be able to forget if I wanted to! :lol:

My first scary movie was the 1973 TV movie "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"... I snuck down and watched it from the top of the stairs one night when my parents were watching it. It scarred me for my entire childhood, and I had terrible nightmares for years. It also started my fascination for horror movies!

ImageImage
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:11 pm

Feydakin wrote:Apparently you like Val Kilmer a lot...

I think he is awesome as the "creepy guy you cant figure out" in horror/mystery films, but yah, he is one of my favorite actors.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:20 pm

i see a couple creepers in here.. tbh, i dont really watch them too much anymore

but when i was a kid and a dummy.. i watched the shining, bad move nightmares lol
and rosemary's baby was really hard to come back from, not sure why it aired on a saturday afternoon, but i was oblivious and it messed with me. i watched another one, which i couldnt really remember but really shook me.. i think it was a 70's movie but there was a lady and she was deaf, there was someone in her house trying to kill her and she had to hide in the house,,,freaky to say the least.. that was childhood

now? idk, i dont really watch them too tough anymore, but lets see, recently.. i think the purge was something to actually ponder, i find the conflicts curious. oh! and the visit! :lol: that actually had a couple jumper moments!
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:33 am

I thought of another one that freaked me out...although I was 12. Candyman This one I have watched since and I laughed me ass off. I might be a bit off because I laugh like crazy during a lot of horror movies. Especially if it makes me jump. I'm pretty sure people in the theater hate me.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:43 am

ink wrote:...i watched another one, which i couldnt really remember but really shook me.. i think it was a 70's movie but there was a lady and she was deaf, there was someone in her house trying to kill her and she had to hide in the house...

That sounds a little like "Wait Until Dark"... except the girl is blind.

ImageImage
ravenrussell
Keeper of Dark Mysteries..

Postby ravenrussell » Thu May 05, 2016 9:23 am

1. Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors
2. Cabin in the Woods
3. Creepshow 2
4. Zombi 3
5. The Hills Have Eyes (remake)

Honorable mention:
-Jeepers Creepers
-Our current presidential election
-Silent Hill (the movie and Silent Hill 2, the video game).
Peace to all.
-Raven
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Thu May 05, 2016 11:51 am

Ah, Zombi 3. The ol'd severed zombie head in a fridge gets me every time.

ravenrussell
Keeper of Dark Mysteries..

Postby ravenrussell » Thu May 05, 2016 12:14 pm

Newborn baby zombie, brilliant moment. I like the absurdity. Like Return of the Living Dead 2, the part where all the zombies start dancing like they're in a Michael Jackson video. Blair Witch was a good one. I saw it on your list.
Peace to all.
-Raven
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu May 05, 2016 4:49 pm

Which one is Zombi 3 in the US lexicon? They are different depending on where you are in the world... I forgot how much I actually enjoyed the Return of the Living Dead movies. One of the main reason that the first one holds up so well is the black comedy.
ImageImage

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”