Your Top 5 Horror Movies of All Time & Horror Movies Discussion

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Thu May 05, 2016 5:45 pm

Feydakin wrote:
ink wrote:...i watched another one, which i couldnt really remember but really shook me.. i think it was a 70's movie but there was a lady and she was deaf, there was someone in her house trying to kill her and she had to hide in the house...

That sounds a little like "Wait Until Dark"... except the girl is blind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKeTME_tRUI

:o yooo thats it! aah yes and blind.. freaked me out so bad.. part of this was the atmosphere of older movies and i think it was partly the musical score, it just seemed mad creepy with the back in the day flicks
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat May 07, 2016 3:23 pm

time to tackle this one!
as usual, i need to bust out my faves, then narrow down after additional reflection :)
in no particular order:

The Exorcist
Poltergeist
Cabin in the Woods
The Thing (Carpenter version)
Let the Right One In
Dawn of the Dead (original version)
The Fly
Eyes Wide Shut (hey....to me this story is definite horror!)
The Shining
Silence of the Lambs
Insidious
Hellraiser
The Others
28 Days Later
Jaws
The Mist
The Descent
American Werewolf in London

//phew!...to return!
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun May 08, 2016 6:22 pm

A lot of people put The Shining on their list... just the opening credits scene and music alone is so iconic. It puts me right into that mood. ;)

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sun May 08, 2016 9:21 pm

Cabin in the Woods
The Shining
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Scream (The original)
And, based solely on nostalgia as it was the first horror flick I ever enjoyed,
Ghoulies 2
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun May 08, 2016 10:24 pm

The Hunger
Rosemary's Baby
Lemora
Ginger Snaps
The Exorcist

And for a kicker- this movie at the driven with my cousins terrified me so much when I was 4ish I was not allowed to go to the drive in again for at least a year.
https://youtu.be/okYkwVc0EiU
Image Image
est 1953

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon May 09, 2016 5:01 pm

ohhh waht about the fly! i saw that at the drive in when it first came out

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Mon May 09, 2016 6:42 pm

Oh I loved the fly! & the DriveIn with my cousins My Uncle would put down the seat and turn the back of his Nash Station wagon into a bed for my cousins and I. There were usually 2 or 3 movies and 2-3 intermissions and we'd fall asleep during the 2nd one. I did not know at the time but sitting indian style on the blankets, a tub of popcorn with real butter (it was the 50's) and the watered down jumbo coke with 3 straws had the same feeling of connection that you get around a late night relaxed bonfire.

I think that movie scared me so bad because it had an evil preacher.
Image Image
est 1953

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon May 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Horror and sci-fi are tailor made for the drive-in experience... I miss it. There are only a few left and they don't typically cater to my tastes. It's weird to me that places like drive-ins get new releases. I would think buying up old 35mm horror and sci-fi films would be a no-brainer. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri May 13, 2016 1:57 pm

Happy Friday the 13th! Time for a marathon viewing! ;)

What is your favorite Friday the 13th movie?!

Mine is Friday the 13th Part 2. It encompasses everything that a classic Friday the 13th movie should be to me. The only thing it is missing is T&A. Believe it or not and contrary to popular culture the early movies had hardly any...

ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun May 15, 2016 6:09 pm

Trailer for Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi's new production for Sony... "Don't Breath".

ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Tue May 17, 2016 4:36 pm

^^ looks intense :D

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue May 17, 2016 4:47 pm

ink wrote:^^ looks intense :D

I've been liking the horror they have been producing since the Evil Dead remake, which was one of the few horror remakes that I've actually been OK with and liked. After "Drag Me To Hell" was out of Raimi's system I think he's been happier producing, and he's done OK with it. It's no secret that I strongly dislike how he tries to funny up his stuff with Three Stooges style slapstick all the time... probably because I don't like the Three Stooges for some reason, I never have, and he loooves them.
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Tue May 17, 2016 5:06 pm

interesting.. maybe the random breaks in emotional intensity, heightens them to a degree? curious blend in formula. or maybe its likened to how, in the 80's was a wave-like push of campyness and horror elements combined to kind of boost the same emotional responses.. just speculation though

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue May 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Yeah there are a number of iconic horror filmmakers that explored the connection between being scared and comedy elements. I just never liked Raimi's approach. A perfect example of what I DO think works is what John A. Russo brought to the original "Return of the Living Dead". It in my opinion still holds up today especially if you're at least a little familiar with '80s horror pop culture (not what passes for '80s pop culture now, but what was pop culture back then of you get my drift). Case in point I recently watch it with my GF and she laughed in all the right places. I guess I just hate slapstick comedy? I don't know... :D
ImageImage
BigMush
Drunkin Beta Style

Postby BigMush » Tue May 17, 2016 5:22 pm

This one was cozy as funk ^_^

Reminded me of pontypool, but i dont know why..
**Awesome Singnature**

ImageImageImageImageImage

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue May 17, 2016 5:54 pm

Yeees, Yellowbrickroad was so Lovecraftian, oozes atmosphere and paranoia. I loved it. Many bonus points for actually being filmed in Lancaster, New Hampshire! I also liked the fact that this was a "found footage" type movie that wasn't shot in VHS and handicam style. :D
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu May 19, 2016 8:00 pm

Brad Fuller talks about the current state of the Friday the 13th reboot...

Aaron Guzikowski wrote The Red Road for the Sundance channel, so he's a competent writer. I am looking forward to seeing what they settled on for a story and time. I am glad they dropped the found footage angle, but I was kind of interested to see a 1980's throwback. Those are great if done right... like 2009's "The House of the Devil".
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon May 30, 2016 7:09 am

NaranjaRa wrote:time to tackle this one!
as usual, i need to bust out my faves, then narrow down after additional reflection :)
in no particular order:

The Exorcist
Poltergeist
Cabin in the Woods
The Thing (Carpenter version)
Let the Right One In
Dawn of the Dead (original version)
The Fly
Eyes Wide Shut (hey....to me this story is definite horror!)
The Shining
Silence of the Lambs
Insidious
Hellraiser
The Others
28 Days Later
Jaws
The Mist
The Descent
American Werewolf in London

//phew!...to return!

ok i'll work on my list :D

so far i can weed a bunch out....but i'll definitely be keeping:

* The Exorcist - no matter how many times i watch it, it continues to scare the crap outta me
* Poltergeist - this gave me serious nightmares as a kid, and for a long time afterward. now when i see it, it touches me so much i cry. it's one of those "perfect" horror movies to me.
* Cabin in the Woods - this turned the entire genre upside down. it's just brilliant.
* The Thing (Carpenter version) - i love the effects i grew up with. and this is a masterpiece.
* Dawn of the Dead (original version) - classic zombie masterpiece and comment on society all in one.
* The Shining - who cares whether or not King likes it. Kubrick knows what he's doing. nuff said.
* The Others - turned the ghost story genre around...but in a smarter way than the Sixth Sense did
* Silence of the Lambs - the whole Hannibal Lector story fascinates me. anyone who eats people freaks the shiz out of me. o_O
* The Descent - pure messed-up heart-pounding scare-fest that does not hold back
* American Werewolf in London - perfect blend of dark humor and horror, as well as at the time what was considered groundbreaking effects work

k, that's down to 10!

THIS IS SOOOO HARDDDDD :lol:
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon May 30, 2016 1:31 pm

Something I'll say about The Shining, when Kubrick stopped listening to King's story is when the story stopped making any sense because it wasn't following any established rules of the lore in the story... Now it's still a great film, I mean it's Kubrick, but the fact that he threw out the story's logic and just went crazy is kind of jarring for me. I'm over it now and look past it, but I wonder what the movie would be if he's stuck closer to some "rules"...

Looking at your list I am wondering what my top ten would look like and then whether any of those would replace anything in my top 5... it's SO hard to pick and choose, but it does make you really think about it. It makes you think about what you like, what you dislike, what would I rather sit and watch right now, all the way through?
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:48 pm

i dunno i like of like Kubrick no matter what the guy does. hell, i even love Barry Lyndon, a film that barely anyone knows of his, or if they tried it hate it or fell asleep :lol: so i can't really be a good judge, because i enjoyed the ways that he deviated from the book...don't mind the broken rules...and am fine when things just go apeshit whether they're true to the tale or not.

i even own books of the man's photography. so yeah, a bit of a fangirl.

he's the only director i had on my list more than once if that says anything ;)

OH! i neglected an honorable mention: High Tension. French horror flick that freaked and grossed the hell out of me. i thought the Aussies could cook up some nastiness....damnnnnnnn!!!
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:27 am

ok so i got to thinking about this.. and the purge movies freaked me out. i think becuz i was reading over Orea's post dealing with the current state of France and how its turning into chaos and i realized, this concept scares me to my core. as soon as, i heard those creepy sirens came over the airwaves (in the movie), i thought of a reality that overlaps our present one. possible? idk.. look at France and whats happening there. //frightening for sure

Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:06 am

I was about 5 when I saw my first horror movie (parents had HBO back in the day). So I have been well versed in horror movies up until about 2010, when the person I watched them with kinda died on me .. it is scary to watch them by yourself and everyone else in our house hates horror movies. They were a thing that me and The Old Man loved (that and debating).

1. Amityville Horror (1979) - The remake was not that bad.
2. Poltergeist (the old one, not the 2015 remake). [Infact, just include the others in there]
3. Nightmare on Elm Street (and all the others connected to it.. minus a few bad ones).
4. Pet Sematary (1989)
5. Bram Stoker's Dracula

There are others films that I have seen, but I can not remember the names of them. I am sure that they will come to me as I try and remember them.. when it is not dark outside..

I have added a few to my watch list ^_^ that is.. if I can stand to watch them by myself.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:10 pm

NEW UPDATE on the Friday the 13th Reboot!

http://ihorror.com/exclusive-next-friday-13th-film-period-piece-not-origin-story/

Next Friday the 13th film is a Period Piece Not an Origin Story

Don’t call the upcoming Friday the 13th film an origin story.

“Origin isn’t really the right word for this movie,” says producer Brad Fuller, who is overseeing the development of the upcoming Friday the 13th film, through his production shingle Platinum Dunes. “The word Origin got out and everyone’s calling it an origin film now, but that isn’t exactly the direction we’re taking. It’s more of an alternate world that we’re creating for Jason – an alternate space, alternate reality – in this film. Yes, Pamela and Jason are together in this film, but this is the same Jason we all know and love. He’s Jason; he kills – he kills teenagers. We went down the origin route with the second Texas Chainsaw Massacre film, and I think when you go to deep into a character’s origin, the character stops being scary at some point. I’m not worried about demystifying Jason by revealing parts of his back story, which most of the fans are familiar with.”

The next Friday the 13th film will be a period piece. “The story takes place between the late 1970s and the early 1980s,” says Fuller, referring to the current script by writer Aaron Guzikowski, which Fuller credits for creating a “breakthrough” in the project’s development. “There is a summer camp, and there are camp counselors.”

Oh, and don’t assume that Elias, Jason’s Daddy, will be appearing in the new film, contrary to previous reports. “No, we haven’t decided whether or not Elias will appear in the film,” says Fuller. “Again, that was a comment I made, which was a response to a question about whether or not Elias would be a part of this film. I said that including Jason’s father was an idea, a possibility, but it’s not at all a certainty that he’ll appear in the film. The main relationship is between Pamela and Jason.”

The film is on the fast track. “We’re moving fast,” says Fuller. “All of our energies are now focused on this new Friday the 13th, and we’re laser-focused. First, we had to release the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, and we’ve just been finishing up the next Ouija film. Now it’s all about Friday the 13th.”

With June winding down, is it even possible that the next Friday the 13th film could make its loosely-scheduled January 13, 2017, release date? “No,” says Fuller, who then pauses, “but that decision will be made by Paramount Pictures, and I’m sure they will announce a release date soon – whether it’s the next Friday the thirteenth date in October 2017, or another date altogether. Things are moving very fast, and we all know that these films can be filmed and then released very quickly. We’re now looking for a director and hope to start filming soon.”

-------------------

That is all really good new in my opinion! :D
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:36 pm

Happy 40th Birthday JAWS!

ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:48 am

Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women...
ImageImage

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”