ok i'll work on my list
time to tackle this one!
as usual, i need to bust out my faves, then narrow down after additional reflection
in no particular order:
Cabin in the Woods
The Thing (Carpenter version)
Let the Right One In
Dawn of the Dead (original version)
Eyes Wide Shut (hey....to me this story is definite horror!)
Silence of the Lambs
28 Days Later
American Werewolf in London
so far i can weed a bunch out....but i'll definitely be keeping:
* The Exorcist - no matter how many times i watch it, it continues to scare the crap outta me
* Poltergeist - this gave me serious nightmares as a kid, and for a long time afterward. now when i see it, it touches me so much i cry. it's one of those "perfect" horror movies to me.
* Cabin in the Woods - this turned the entire genre upside down. it's just brilliant.
* The Thing (Carpenter version) - i love the effects i grew up with. and this is a masterpiece.
* Dawn of the Dead (original version) - classic zombie masterpiece and comment on society all in one.
* The Shining - who cares whether or not King likes it. Kubrick knows what he's doing. nuff said.
* The Others - turned the ghost story genre around...but in a smarter way than the Sixth Sense did
* Silence of the Lambs - the whole Hannibal Lector story fascinates me. anyone who eats people freaks the shiz out of me. o_O
* The Descent - pure messed-up heart-pounding scare-fest that does not hold back
* American Werewolf in London - perfect blend of dark humor and horror, as well as at the time what was considered groundbreaking effects work
k, that's down to 10!
THIS IS SOOOO HARDDDDD