Your Top 5 Favorite Fantasy Movies of All Time & Discussion

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Your Top 5 Favorite Fantasy Movies of All Time & Discussion

Postby Feydakin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Feydakin's Top 5 Favorite Fantasy Movies!
-----------------------------------------------
1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Quintessential classic fantasy series. The yardstick by which all such fantasy movies must be judged.
Spoiler: show

2. Superman: The Movie (1978) - The one, true Superman movie.

3. The Wizard of Oz - A classic masterpiece of it's time. Watch it once a year!

4. Conan the Barbarian - The essential '80s sword fantasy flick!

5. Raiders of the Lost Ark (original trilogy) - What can you say really? Pulp fantasy fiction at it's absolute best. include Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade in here as well. Package deal!

-----------------------------------------------

I'll be doing a few of these threads for genres that I care about. Please if you post a video embed I would request that you place it in spoiler tags so the thread doesn't get too unwieldy to load! Thanks!

Please remember, this isn't "The Best XY Movies..." it's your favorite movies in the genre. These are personal choices, the ones that mean the most to you. There are no right or wrong answers here. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Azealdread
NinjaCrafted

Postby Azealdread » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:12 am

1: edward scissorhands
2:never ending story
3: Labyrinth
3: pans Labyrinth
4: alice in wonderland 2010
5: spirited away
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:59 am

1. How to Train Your Dragon series
2. V for Vendetta
3. 300 series
4. Dark Knight trilogy
5. Sorcerer's Apprentice
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:10 am

1. Labyrinth
2. Scott Pilgrim vs The World
3. Spirited Away
4. Harry Potter Series
5. Big

Rookie of the Year almost made it on here for me, but thats just nostalgia and I have the whole movie memorized practically.
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:22 pm

along with sci-fi, this is the genre of films that i hold closest to my heart. :)
and like i had to do in sci-fi, i'm going to spout my favorites and then try to narrow them down to those precious top 5.

//phew...ok:

The City of Lost Children
Time Bandits
Clash of the Titans
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Edward Scissorhands
The Never Ending Story
Labyrinth
The Princess Bride
The Last Unicorn
Excalibur
Conan the Barbarian
The Dark Crystal - probably easily already in my top 5 no matter what
LOTR Trilogy
Legend
Superman II
Pan's Labyrinth
Hellboy 1 & 2
Dragonslayer
Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
Life of Pi
The Green Mile
Mary Poppins
How To Train Your Dragon
Unbreakable
Ladyhawke
Where The Wild Things Are
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
Delicatessen
The Wizard of Oz

//sweatin'....
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:30 pm

You might not think so at first, but this list can be just as hard to nail down as any other... Once you start thinking about it there are a ton of great, classic movies that can fit into this category. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Re:

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:49 am

NaranjaRa wrote:along with sci-fi, this is the genre of films that i hold closest to my heart. :)
and like i had to do in sci-fi, i'm going to spout my favorites and then try to narrow them down to those precious top 5.

//phew...ok:

Time Bandits
Clash of the Titans
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Edward Scissorhands
The Never Ending Story
Labyrinth
The Princess Bride
The Last Unicorn
Excalibur
Conan the Barbarian
The Dark Crystal - probably easily already in my top 5 no matter what
LOTR Trilogy
Legend
Superman II
Pan's Labyrinth
Hellboy 1 & 2
Dragonslayer
Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
Life of Pi
The Green Mile
Mary Poppins
How To Train Your Dragon
Unbreakable
Ladyhawke
Where The Wild Things Are
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
Delicatessen
The Wizard of Oz

//sweatin'....

ok narrowing....these made 2nd cut:

Time Bandits
Clash of the Titans
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Edward Scissorhands
The Never Ending Story
The Princess Bride
Conan the Barbarian
The Dark Crystal
LOTR Trilogy
Hellboy 1 & 2
The Wizard of Oz

and adding Brazil, another Terry Gilliam great

SO HARD.
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Re: Your Top 5 Favorite Fantasy Movies of All Time & Discussion

Postby ink » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:25 am

nice bump.. this is a tricky one...

i will have to think this one over, my imagination is wild.

ok i think i narrowed down my favs.. and pretty much all of these are throwbacks and ive watched them repeatedly so here goes..

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
love this movie, doesnt matter how many times ive seen it.. i could watch it again and again lol bratty kids... :lawl:

The Goonies (1985)
classic all day! i want to go off on an adventure with a handful of close friends and discover a pirate ship! yesssss /nod

The Lord of the Rings (1978)
I had to go with the 1978 animation because of the impact it made on me as a kid. movies like these just expanded my imagination on a whole new level.

The Secret of NIHM (1982)
Don Bluth! it was a magical, enchanted ride with amazing creatures that have their own cultures and way of life... on a farm! /wow yup, /mid blown @ age 6!

Big Trouble In Little China (1986)
aaw yea, Jack Burton! :lawl: its got 80's Kurt Russell swag, kung fu skirmishes, some ancient demon warriors, with a sorcerer villian, comedic 80's one liners, action! i mean what more could a 10 yr old want!?! i lost track of how many times ive watched it but i could proly watch again, right now! lolol

my honorable mention:
The Golden Child (1986)
Eddie Murphy yo, :lawl: :lawl: he's the chosen one :lawl: this one holds a special place in my heart, but Big Trouble was much better.

*man, this was toughy.. a few rly good ones moved to the bottom.. :| but i went with the most memorable /flame
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:39 am

whow, this is really hard indeed, let me take some time to think about this....

In random order, because I simply can not pick one over the other

Labyrinth [/b/] 1986

[b] The NeverEnding Story

Hook 1991

Howls Moving Castle 2004

The Mists of Avalon 2001
It is impossible to find a decent trailer /g3tf

And yes, I see it, no movies that are even remotely recent, but I can't help that this is my 'pick'.
Live today, 'cause if you don't, you might live to regret it.... Amanda Marshall
Image Image
Image Image
/anna hijack! :kiss:
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:39 pm

oh dag.. i forgot a couple, but i will leave mine where its at.. for now. lol
im sure some others will present them. man, this was tough feyd! you were really putting the squeeze on at 5, clever!
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Manhal
ninja with training wheels

Postby Manhal » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:20 am

I liked this alot.
I wanted to only pick 5, so I made sure that each movie was important to me, had replay value, and genuinely moved me when I watched it.

1. Hook --> my first Eid present when I got to choose. I wore out that VHS copy and got a new one later

2. Gattaca --> made me want to become a geneticist (check)

3. Superman (1978) --> Christopher Reeve was awesome, and it was usually on Saturday afternoons when I could watch it with my dad, along with Kung Fu: The Legend Continues

4. Star Trek: First Contact --> by far the greatest Star Trek movie ever made, in my humble opinion

5. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe --> this one was the hardest to choose for me, i just loved the book so much that watching it come to life was bliss
I am only here a short time. Inshalla khair :) I love you all.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:25 pm

ink wrote:oh dag.. i forgot a couple, but i will leave mine where its at.. for now. lol
im sure some others will present them. man, this was tough feyd! you were really putting the squeeze on at 5, clever!

It really makes people think hard, and realize how much depth there actually is to the fantasy genre in movies... especially when other people start chiming in with their picks. You're likely to find some you never have seen or forgot about. ;)
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Manhal wrote:I liked this alot.
I wanted to only pick 5, so I made sure that each movie was important to me, had replay value, and genuinely moved me when I watched it.

Nice picks man! That's what trying to keep the list to five does, it really makes you think about the ones that mean the most to you. 8-)
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:11 pm

ink wrote:nice bump.. this is a tricky one...

i will have to think this one over, my imagination is wild.

ok i think i narrowed down my favs.. and pretty much all of these are throwbacks and ive watched them repeatedly so here goes..

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
love this movie, doesnt matter how many times ive seen it.. i could watch it again and again lol bratty kids... :lawl:

The Goonies (1985)
classic all day! i want to go off on an adventure with a handful of close friends and discover a pirate ship! yesssss /nod

The Lord of the Rings (1978)
I had to go with the 1978 animation because of the impact it made on me as a kid. movies like these just expanded my imagination on a whole new level.

The Secret of NIHM (1982)
Don Bluth! it was a magical, enchanted ride with amazing creatures that have their own cultures and way of life... on a farm! /wow yup, /mid blown @ age 6!

Big Trouble In Little China (1986)
aaw yea, Jack Burton! :lawl: its got 80's Kurt Russell swag, kung fu skirmishes, some ancient demon warriors, with a sorcerer villian, comedic 80's one liners, action! i mean what more could a 10 yr old want!?! i lost track of how many times ive watched it but i could proly watch again, right now! lolol

my honorable mention:
The Golden Child (1986)
Eddie Murphy yo, :lawl: :lawl: he's the chosen one :lawl: this one holds a special place in my heart, but Big Trouble was much better.

*man, this was toughy.. a few rly good ones moved to the bottom.. :| but i went with the most memorable /flame

GAHHHHH why did you mention BIG TRUBB...easily one of my favorite films of ALL TIME

but even better - NIMH. holy crapnuts i was so OBSESSED with this story as a kid, i probably watched it a zillion times and can practically quote along with it. also, it brought my attention to Don Bluth. growing up i was a Disney fanatic and in my youth my dream was to become an animator. i studied the greats, their techniques, and the technology. i first thought NIMH was Disney due to the superb animation. i then learned Bluth left Disney to do his own thing. his style - if you pay attention - is almost undeniable to me now that my eyes are so trained to it. there is a certain exaggerated mouth movement in his characters when they talk. and you can even pick it out in the Disney films that he did work on...you can tell what characters were Bluth's work.

the book is still an amazing read to this day. it gets DEEP...especially when going into what happened during NIMH's experiments on the rats & mice. it gets kinda scary....definitely dark. and i ate that mess right up as a freaky little artist kid. :-)

and now i have to also add Watership Down ('78) to my list. that film changed my life forever and still holds a tremendous magical aura over me. another amazing book as well. which led me to another novel by the same author, Richard Adams, called the Plague Dogs - about 2 dogs who escape from - surprise - a facility doing experiments on animals.

General Woundwort....the Black Rabbit of Inlay...Kehaar the insanely mouthy seagull....brave Bigwig...the entire mythology of the rabbits (and the wonderful opening sequence in the film)...dear precious Fiver....and Hazel at the end (//snifff to this day i tell ya!!!!)

<3 GAHHH ALLLLL THE FEEEEELS. <3

dammit this is so harrrrrrrrd /rotfl

//goes to watch NIMH.... :heart:
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:55 pm

This list is too hard.

One word: UNICO
Image Image

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”