NEWS! Ghostbusters Remake Trailer Most Disliked Video on Youtube!

For all things film & documentary. NO LINKS!!!
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

NEWS! Ghostbusters Remake Trailer Most Disliked Video on Youtube!

Postby Feydakin » Wed May 04, 2016 5:03 am

The subtext of the article reads:

"There's a depressing truth here: The film is falling victim to the seemingly inherent sexism that surfaces across the internet, especially when it comes to nerd culture."

What a load of click-baiting bullshit...

"At time of writing, the official Sony upload of the movie's trailer has 624,461 thumbs-down votes, based on 29,906,237 views. That's one thumbs-down vote for every 47.9 views, which would be an impressive number if it reflects a genuine dislike on behalf of all viewers — but what, exactly, suggests that it is genuine?

There is no way to check where the thumbs-down votes have come from, but the metrics seem genuinely strange when taken in context of other deeply unpopular YouTube videos; the most disliked video on the platform, "Baby" by Justin Bieber, has one thumbs-down vote for every 225 views, for example, and on average, the top 10 most disliked videos on YouTube — there's a playlist — has one thumbs down for every 449 views. Is Ghostbusters really almost 10 times less popular than the most disliked videos on the platform? (It is now the 18th most unpopular video on the site, apparently.)"

Read the rest here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghostbusters-reboot-youtube-trailer-is-889438?facebook_20160502

------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, now the Youtube comments have an inordinate amount of sexist comments. However, my problem with it is not the fact that they lead characters are female, but with literally everything else about it. I can't help but feel like once it reached a critical mass of haters it just organically snowballed, and a large portion of the hate is just band-wagoning. It was started by fans like me who were disgusted by the obvious pandering, soulless cash grab that this shit film is. Now I could be wrong. What is shown in the trailer could be three minutes of aberration that isn't truly representative of what the movie is really like... but I seriously doubt that.

I invite discussion about this, but let's be honest; It looks like hot, buttered shit on a plate. It's a disgrace to the original and shouldn't have been made.

Spoiler: show

Direct link to go read the comments and shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed May 04, 2016 5:16 am

That trailer looked like it was for a film starring Adam Sandler, Vince Vaughan, Martin Lawrence and Rob Schneider. It just looks like a shit film. Bridesmaids was an awesome film. This looks shite. End of. People are disliking it because it's a beloved franchise and this looks like it's just shitting all over it.

Jax
ninja with training wheels

Postby Jax » Wed May 04, 2016 5:44 am

Ok, so that's the first time I've seen the trailer. It definitely does not have the same feeling as the original. I would say it's closer to the Men in Black franchise's feel. In the 80s my little brother loved Ghostbusters... when he was around 4... he seriously could recite all the dialogue along with the characters. We also watched the cartoon on TV. So with that in mind, I think Ghostbusters is a family franchise and this trailer seems like a family movie trailer. No idea what the rating is, but if it is a PG movie, I think it's fine.
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed May 04, 2016 7:46 am

The whole thing needs to be judged when you see it in full, but it just looks like it's lacking any sort of intelligence. Ghostbusters was witty as fuck. This is "I got slime in my vagina! LOLZ!!!!!"

Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu May 05, 2016 6:17 am

Im still going to see it and go in with no expectations. or at least try to. Ive been playing the match 3 phone app since launch and i am obsessed and its really well done. I am addicted and probably have 300+ hours logged in.

im probably going to enjoy the movie more than most if any obscure characters from the game make an appearance.
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat May 07, 2016 4:30 pm

i pretty much hate remakes as it is. but this one takes the cake as being one of the worst and most pathetic. agree with Feyd 100%
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Tue May 17, 2016 8:56 am

This seems to fit and I agree with a lot of her opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQIuTGfPHvA
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Tue May 17, 2016 12:46 pm

Good points! The fact that it just looks like a lazy excuse of a way to utilise the Ghostbusters license is what kills it for me. Lazy, lazy, lazy. I'm getting preeetty tired of Melissa McCarthy playing exactly the same role in everything she's in too. Just wait for a scene where a ghost explodes/farts and everyone is retching from the smell but she can't understand why anybody has a problem.

Just one big ol' Meh really.

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue May 17, 2016 1:27 pm

She pretty much hits all the nails on all the heads... I mean it's not rocket science. It's what we're ALL thinking, and yes, it is partially the audiences fault because they keep paying money to see this shit... not me though, they can suckle it. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu May 19, 2016 12:40 am

Ghostbusters Trailer #2...

ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu May 19, 2016 5:12 am

The second trailer is slightly better than the first.

Im hating on this because Its a kick in the nuts to the original. it should be called ANYTHING ELSE EXCEPT Ghostbusters - like Ghostbusters: The Return, or Ghostbusters: The Next Generation, literally ANYTHING EXCEPT for thew same exact fucking name of the original.

As I stated in another thread, I will probably see this just because im such a big fan and even hooked on the match 3 puzzle game like no other.

However, now im starting to feel this is the exact reason I shouldnt see it in the theater. Why pay money for a movie thats just trying to cash in on the name and everything great about the original,. especially when it seems to ruin everything I love about the franchise?

I didn't laugh once in either of those trailers, and im a crazy fuck who laughs at obscure and mundane nonsense.

I agree with this guy, James Rolfe, and he makes his point very intelligently:

PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu May 19, 2016 5:27 am

I wont go see this in theaters. I'll wait for it to get posted on Netflix, HBO or something.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu May 19, 2016 12:46 pm

The best way to stop this shit from being made is to NOT go see it in the theater, or buy a DVD/blu-ray/VOD... It'll NEVER happen though because people are sheep, and because of that we deserve every ounce of shit Hollywood slops on our heads.
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Thu May 19, 2016 1:10 pm

Yes Rivoc! Another Cinemassacre fan on the board! Sweet.

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu May 19, 2016 1:23 pm

Yup, Cinemassacre is spot on too!
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu May 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Brewtality wrote:Yes Rivoc! Another Cinemassacre fan on the board! Sweet.

Off topic, but one of my best friends is an animator from PA, went to the Philly art institute with Mike, Janes, and Bootsie. We met up w them at seaside heights when we went to Jersey for a wedding. Just Mije and Bootsie, before he got involved in the videos. Like 7 years ago. They were really cool and down to Earth. We drank and hit up all the arcades from 9p-2a. It was magnificent!
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:47 am

So some twat from NYT did an article about the Cinemassacre video... it's just as asinine as you might imagine, perhaps even more so.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/fashion/ghostbusters-internet-attacks.html

"LOS ANGELES — The rage was immediate. As soon as the Hollywood trades reported that Sony Pictures was going to reboot “Ghostbusters” with women in the lead roles, internet trolls tumbled out of their caves to insta-condemn the effort.

As with most online nastiness, the face of the outcry was a blank one. Most of the negative comments and social media posts were anonymous, courtesy of peaches like Grungemaster93, GargoylePhlegm and Neanderthal101. Reinventing their beloved 1980s-era comedy? With women busting the ghosts? Not on their watch!

Then came James Rolfe. And with him arrived a lesson about the digital age.

Mr. Rolfe, whose YouTube channel, Cinemassacre, has 2.1 million subscribers, posted a video last month that takes aim at the new “Ghostbusters,” which is set for release on July 15.

Looking into the camera, he criticizes the visual effects shown in an early trailer, and, with flashes of anger, condemns Sony for sweeping the 1984 original movie “under the rug like it didn’t happen.”

Mr. Rolfe, 35, advised his followers that Cinemassacre, known for movie and video-game reviews, would be sitting this one out.

“I refuse to watch it,” he said, sitting with his rimless glasses amid a gumball machine, “Star Trek” memorabilia and bookcases stacked with old VHS tapes.

With that, the furor around “Ghostbusters” had a focal point. His video racked up 737,000 views in its first day, on its way to 1.7 million. Mr. Rolfe, who sometimes posts videos as a character called Angry Video Game Nerd, became a Nerd King among a certain crowd.

“He will almost certainly be on the right side of history” read a sympathetic article on Heat Street, a libertarian website owned by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation, reflecting the tenor of many of 22,000 comments on the video nonreview.

“This isn’t about feminism,” Danika Lee Massey, a YouTube star known as Comic Book Girl 19, said in a supportive post. “This is about greed. This is about a bad idea.”

But a lot of people, including a significant number of men, immediately blasted Mr. Rolfe as a misogynistic jerk, with some of the blowback taking on a very personal tone. “I keep fixating on his wedding ring,” the film critic and humorist Eric D. Snider wrote on Twitter. “Someone MARRIED this man-baby.” (Mr. Snider later deleted his tweet.)

Writing about Mr. Rolfe’s “tantrum” on the website Death and Taxes, part of the SpinMedia empire, Maggie Serota said he looked as if he were “sitting in a wet diaper.”
NYT Living Newsletter

My swift reaction to Mr. Rolfe’s video was similarly severe. Without so much as pressing play, I decided that his position was garbage and that he represented the worst about geek culture and the internet. I considered leaving a hissy comment on his site: Somebody’s mom apparently forgot to teach the judging-books-by-their-covers lesson.

Instead, I did something very old-fashioned.

First, I watched his six-minute video, which surprised me. While not saying much that I agree with, Mr. Rolfe does express his opinions in a rather calm and articulate way. It’s not overtly sexist — though there are whiffs — and his points are rather tame compared with a lot of the other “Ghostbusters” muck online. (Hard stare toward Reddit.)

Next, I sent him an email. I wanted to know what he made of the furor. His response was astonishing. He was offended by some of the blowback — because, as he wrote in an email, it seemed to him that those angry over his video “have not watched it, or have been misquoting me or twisting my words.”

Mr. Judging Before Seeing was mad because people were judging before seeing.

Mr. Rolfe also seemed agitated that the people ripping him apart, some of whom went so far as to threaten his life, had no interest in his complexity as a human being.

Yes, he makes a living through sometimes caustic reviews and rants. (A former wedding videographer, Mr. Rolfe sells ads on Cinemassacre.com and on YouTube, where his videos have a cumulative 858 million views.) But he is also a husband and a father; his daughter, Darcy, now a toddler, was injured at birth.

“My good deeds go largely unknown,” he said in an email. “I just had a charity event, auctioning items/props/memorabilia from my show.” The auction, which concluded on May 6, raised about $20,000 for Shriners Hospitals for Children.

Hmm.

When finally coaxed to the phone, Mr. Rolfe, who works from his East Coast home, did not want to talk about his “Ghostbusters” video, saying he thought it spoke for itself, and he didn’t want to address the fallout. “When people attack me, it’s always about trying to get a reaction,” he said.

But he did talk about his childhood. As a high school student growing up in New Jersey, Mr. Rolfe said, he was “extremely shy and didn’t have too many friends.” Movies, both the Hollywood kind and the homemade variety, got him through.

He used the family camcorder to make horror films, later studying cinema at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia, where his junior-year movie was called “Curse of the Cat Lover’s Grave.”

“I wanted to make a really big cult sensation,” he said, with a laugh.

The new “Ghostbusters,” which, by the way, has been generating positive reactions in test screenings, according to Sony executives, finally gave him his wish.

Even the comedian Patton Oswalt weighed in on Mr. Rolfe’s nonreview review. “I really wanted to hate this Cinemassacre Ghostbusters review but I’m such a fan of noisy, thick-saliva swallowing it won my heart,” Mr. Oswalt wrote on Twitter.

Getting serious, he added: “I like @cinemassacre. I’m just tired of pre-emptive criticism. Society imploding. It’s gross.”"
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:47 pm

The new "Ghostbusters" theme song...

ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:25 pm

Fall Out Boy........ featuring Missy Elliott.

Fall. Out. Boy. featuring. Missy. Elliott.

Fall.

Out.

Boy.

Featuring.

Missy.

Elliott.

It really doesn't get any worse than this, folks. That song is just embarrassing!

PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:12 am

They have been pushing and promoting this movie hard. I still refuse to see it until its a rental/Netflix/HBO.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Re: NEWS! Ghostbusters Remake Trailer Most Disliked Video on You

Postby Feydakin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:17 pm

ImageImage
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Re: NEWS! Ghostbusters Remake Trailer Most Disliked Video on You

Postby Skywalker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:04 pm

Feydakin wrote:https://youtu.be/is31GGfhz8o

What the hell did I just watch..

Normally I have no issue with J-Pop.. but this was just bad. They could not have found someone else to sing this.. anyone else would have been better. The ladies just did nt look like they were all that into it and was just there to collect a paycheck.

I have yet to watch the ill mentioned trailer, nor do I plan to. If anything, if I see this it will be on HBO. I pay enough for cable, I am not one to go to the movies all that often, not at 13 dollars a ticket and that is not even IMAX or that fancy 3D stuff I can not see.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Re: NEWS! Ghostbusters Remake Trailer Most Disliked Video on Youtube!

Postby Feydakin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:08 pm

No Spoilers Review:

Spoiler alert, they hated it, and are so mad. Get ready to be offended if you don't know AJ. ;)
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:44 am

so my mates just talked me into going to see it, and im a DIE HARD ghostbusters fan. i know a decent amount of even comic book lore and weird antagonists most have never heard of.

I went in soured, set on hating it. I didnt hate it. I was actually entertained. I laughed regularly at some parts that were really funny, I just couldnt believe they existed in this movie.

The trailer sucked and made me want to hate the movie with everything i had. but i actually was entertained.

Now I cant help but compare it to the original which is sad, cause that movie was perfection! It doesnt hold a candle to that. but it was entertaining and id give it a b- if a c was average.
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:01 pm

interesting... its doing really well. $ 46M in the opening weekend, maybe all the bad presumptions actually helped some..

http://deadline.com/2016/07/ghostbusters-weekend-box-office-1201787149/
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Return to “Movies and Documentaries Discussion”