The Sandman

Comic lovers rejoice! NO LINKS!!! Do you collect cool stuff? Show it off here!
Mr. 26
:-|

The Sandman

Postby Mr. 26 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Neil Gaiman's Sandman is teh greatest

/discuss

never should be made into movie or TV. it exists in an absolutely perfect form now
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Re: The Sandman

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:49 pm

sand gets in the uh-oh places.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:55 am

i truly and honestly don't remember making that post ^^^

*coughs*
i used to read Sandman back in the ol' college years...early-mid 90's i guess? //cane
therefore unfortunately i also do not remember much about the books (or my college years) but i remember being very inspired by the artwork, especially the covers by Dave McKean. and after that i also started to follow Gaiman's work a lot more closely.

ever hear what he says about sharing? :-)

i often feel the same way about books/comic translated to the screen and downright abhor the idea. but then sometimes, i am pleasantly surprised and it takes on a new kind of life of its own.
not expecting much, whatever they do with it.
same thing with King's Dark Tower...
Mr. 26

Postby Mr. 26 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:39 pm

That is fucking brilliant. I haven't read much of his prose other than Good Omens and American Gods but I have read all of his picture books and he is a brilliant story teller.

The Sandman marked the point where I paid attention to every aspect of a picture book and not just the words. The art was incredible, especially McKean's covers.

Hard to argue with his views on sharing. The top 10 most pirated movies in any year are usually the big box office winners, so the argument that free "illegal" sharing = lost profits is utter horseshit. I'll support the creators that I believe are doing great work by buying their product and recommending them to others.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:39 pm

oh yeah and they also never account for all the extra storage media that gets bought up for the files people keep....from discs to drives...sharing supports that industry in a major way as well. Jeff Tweedy (of Wilco) said almost the same thing...along the lines of wishing the whole world could be this gigantic library of art, music, and film for everyone to enjoy.

as far as Gaiman's work goes, hell, i even dig Coraline!

"picture books" :giggle:
first series i really read & got into was Hellboy...which was about the same time i first started noticing those Sandman covers in the comic - err, picture book shop. stuck with Hellboy all these years, though...Sandman not so much
//shrugs
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:07 am

Sandman is, in my opinion, the greatest work ever in the comic medium. It's just so fucking incredible. Everything from the over-arching storylines to the character development to the incredible nature of the storytelling is just brilliant. I was hooked from the first panel and read through the entire series with a voracious appetite. I was in love with the premise from the start and marvelled at the sheer power of imagination which shines through on each page. Morpheus running through the dreams of different people and animals, from dogs to cats to babies gets me every time. The sojourns into the lives of ordinary people through their dreams are wonderful and truly add depth and detail to the world and the characters inhabiting it. Oh and how about Lucifer!?! That whole storyline is genius! And Hob! The guy who is essentially immortal just because he told Death he wasn't going to die. Brilliant! Neil Gaiman has more ideas on one page of Sandman than other writers manage to come up with in a lifetime.

Also, huge props to the different artists who give each iteration of the comic its own individual identity. Some of the panels in the last two series' are jaw-dropping.

I've got a nicely bound copy of Sandman: Requiem as well the original issues (still sealed and unread, of course) but I've only read the first couple of issues because I'm very conscious of the fact that there will definitely be no more Sandman once I've finished it. I'm intrigued about the film as I think that Preludes & Nocturnes has a lot of potential for a movie. It's a simple story of a character finding things that have been taken from him and restoring normality to the world he is at least partly responsible for. Done well it could be very entertaining, though I think we all know that the comic has too much depth for a movie to even attempt to cover.

Glad there are more Sandman fans in here!

What are your favourite stories? A Game of You is mine. Martin Tenbones gets me every time :(

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:42 pm

i think i just had too much going on around me in college to be able to spend my time with the stories as much as i wanted to. one of the items on my wish-list is basically a collection of Sandman books to read again.

i did start collecting some other Gaiman comics & TPBs along my travels, however.
Spoiler: show
Black Orchid is from 1988, Mr. Hero from 1995, and 1602 is from 2003

/nod
Mr. 26

Postby Mr. 26 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:41 pm

I'm not a fan of Marvel stories but 1602 was pretty dope. The art in Black Orchid is awesome! And I've never read Mr. Hero, although now I have to...

My favorite series is Dream Country. I randomly picked up and finished A Midsummer Night's Dream about a week before reading Dream Country, so its inclusion in the series made the experience rather surreal.

Spoiler: show
When Morpheus died in the Kindly Ones, I genuinely shed a tear. I felt so attached and invested in the character that having that losing that aspect of him hit me hard.

I have to re-read this series because in the years after reading this, I explored more of the Vertigo universe including Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and most of the Hellblazer collections, so I definitely missed alot of the subtle references. Maybe I'll re-read it in a decade or so, once I increase my literary input.

Return to “Comics and Collectors' Corner”