If you could have one superpower...What would it be?

Comic lovers rejoice! NO LINKS!!! Do you collect cool stuff? Show it off here!
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:09 am

I would choose the power of suggestion. (Spoiler contains a reference to Jessica Jones, the Netflix series). I feel like this is a powerful superpower that can be used in a variety of ways.

[spoiler]Think Jessica Jones villian, but with a metaphorical on/off switch.[/spoiler]

What would your one superpower be? Why?
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:51 am

After watching so much of The Flash, I'm convinced super speed might be the most useful. Especially for paperwork.

WTF, someone punch me. We're talkin superpowers and im thinking whats best for work??? REALLY?!?!?! Fuck me..... Still though. zooming around at super speed and barely being noticed while doing it would be pretty great.
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:55 am

I'll use my powers of suggestion to get you to do my paperwork~!

Srsly tho, super speed has many good uses and The Flash is a good guide for its potential uses.

In my classes, most students answer with "Flying"
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:47 am

Thinking hard and I tink the ability to heal all illness and physical disorder with a neon purple ray that shoots out of my hands.
Image Image
est 1953

Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:05 am

Nigh-Invulnerability. [h]SPOON!!![/h]
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
BigMush
Drunkin Beta Style

Postby BigMush » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:36 am

This Way-Man! The power to know every way out from anything
**Awesome Singnature**

ImageImageImageImageImage

PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Corgimom wrote:Thinking hard and I tink the ability to heal all illness and physical disorder with a neon purple ray that shoots out of my hands.

I like yer thinking. The healing ray MUST be purple in my opinion.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:29 pm

Holy crap this is a hard one...

I'm honestly stuck between time travel or teleportation.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:24 pm

Deadpool-like regeneration... I could hone my body into a killing machine like Wolverine or Deadpool and fight injustice throughout the world. Close second to that would be flying. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:31 am

Rivoc wrote:After watching so much of The Flash, I'm convinced super speed might be the most useful. Especially for paperwork.

WTF, someone punch me. We're talkin superpowers and im thinking whats best for work??? REALLY?!?!?! Fuck me..... Still though. zooming around at super speed and barely being noticed while doing it would be pretty great.

This is so me as well. Heck, with a disease that will leave me considerably less mobile relatively early in life (I already cannot run, and walking is unstable), this is an irresistible prospect.
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:57 am

cerrodepedro wrote:
Rivoc wrote:After watching so much of The Flash, I'm convinced super speed might be the most useful. Especially for paperwork.

This is so me as well. Heck, with a disease that will leave me considerably less mobile relatively early in life (I already cannot run, and walking is unstable), this is an irresistible prospect.

I'm sorry to hear you have that. Whatever it is, it sounds awful. I wish I could send you a box of Lindor truffles and wine to help.

The ability to run so fast you can time travel and unwind tornadoes and run up and down buildings just seems incredible. And you'd only need an airplane for overseas vacations, if that :)
Candeeoke
The Quiet Storm

Postby Candeeoke » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:02 am

Such a hard question.... I like the idea of being able to compel people vampire style.
ImageImage
Jax
ninja with training wheels

Postby Jax » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:48 am

Teleportation. The kind where I can take a group with me to other locations and also being able to teleport things to me, things like money. That would be awesome.
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:52 am

I'd like to be a genie that grants wishes but not the asshole kind from Aladdin where there are always horrible consequence. I'd be happy to live forever in the solitary confinement of a lamp until needed.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:35 am

anynoise wrote:I'd like to be a genie that grants wishes but not the asshole kind from Aladdin where there are always horrible consequence. I'd be happy to live forever in the solitary confinement of a lamp until needed.

Interesting~! I don't think I could handle such long term periods of solitude.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:35 am

Candee wrote:I like the idea of being able to compel people vampire style.

We think alike~!

Jax wrote:Teleportation. The kind where I can take a group with me to other locations and also being able to teleport things to me, things like money. That would be awesome.

That is a good one too~!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:18 pm

hmm, so many possibilities

i love the idea of being able to regenerate and heal oneself / others...
teleportation is a constant desire....shit, a damn NEED in life tbh. :|
some type of mental prowess - suggestion, psychic, telekinetic, etc always seem enticing...

//will ponder a bit more
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Tue May 17, 2016 8:53 am

NaranjaRa wrote:hmm, so many possibilities

i love the idea of being able to regenerate and heal oneself / others...
teleportation is a constant desire....shit, a damn NEED in life tbh. neutral
some type of mental prowess - suggestion, psychic, telekinetic, etc always seem enticing...

//will ponder a bit more

Zomgz~! the suspense! pick one~!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
bigsexywzp
the unproven

Postby bigsexywzp » Wed May 18, 2016 9:39 am

I always liked the regeneration/healing options or immortality/invulnerability, but I remember a discussion for these we had on the old forums. The one downside to regeneration and healing, or immortality/invulnerability?

The likelihood of being permanently trapped or immobilized is eventually 100% at some point. At some point in your regenerative/invulnerable/immortal life? You will fall in a hole, get stuck in a collapsed building, etc. and be trapped for a very long time, if not forever.

I'd like to be like Multiple Man in Marvel Comics. I'd like to be able to make "perfect duplicates" of myself, in order to take care of housework, or to go to work for me so I could stay home, or to send to the store to pick up groceries, etc. And when everything is taken care of? I can reabsorb them. Like Multiple Man, I would absorb their memories, skills, and any acquired talents or skills gained while separated.
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Wed May 18, 2016 9:01 pm

See, I chose the power of suggestion so that I could just manipulate other people with super powers. "Hey healer guy, heal me..." ..."Hey Storm, make it rain..."...."Hulk, go smash!"..lol
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:34 pm

I want invisibility but the kind where I can wear clothes n make things I touch invisible too
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:13 pm

Okay, in the interest of giving this post some cohesion, I suppose the idea is that it centers on my cynicism about superheroes. But before any of that, damn I appreciate this:

Rivoc wrote:
cerrodepedro wrote:

I'm sorry to hear you have that. Whatever it is, it sounds awful. I wish I could send you a box of Lindor truffles and wine to help.

The ability to run so fast you can time travel and unwind tornadoes and run up and down buildings just seems incredible. And you'd only need an airplane for overseas vacations, if that :)

I read this a while back when I had less energy than I do now, but I hope you know it meant a lot to me. Thank you. It's Becker Muscular Dystrophy! I shamelessly whine about it on occasion. Time travel... That's a source of wonder and sadness for me since the notion of playing with neutrinos looks theoretically less likely as more of Relativity is proven (lately with the whole gravity detection thingy). BUT FUCK IT THAT'S WHAT THE SUPERHERO GENRE IS ALL ABOUT, FUCKING WITH NEUTRINOS WHEN PEEPS AREN'T SURE IF WE'RE ALLOWED TO.

Segmenting the post quite a bit, and holy shit am I negative today, some may remember a comedian fuck who has written/performed a lot of jokes at the expense of people who are routinely shat on in society, but this thread reminds me of Stephen Lynch's "Superhero." It basically goes through a number of fantasies and crudely (as in clumsily) dissects each of them. Examples: Immigration Dude (this is as bad as it sounds); Awesome Man (even more ridiculously over-reaching criminal justice approach).

Maybe if I got more into the whole genre, I'd find a more communalist/collectivist hero who acts in response to democratic decisions, whose powers were created by democratic vote (for a tiring but exciting read, see Democracy and Technology), who volunteered in a straw poll to go for potentially painful and fatal experimental procedures on their body. They'd be slashing through mercenaries hired by totalitarian states trying to make land grabs for minerals or whatever, and quoting Dorothy Day and Subcomandante Marcos all the while... They'd be harried by a temptation to be super tyrannical with all those powers, and the end of every story arc would be this poetic abdication complete with rites paying homage to the community.
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke

Return to “Comics and Collectors' Corner”