Airbnb

ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.

Airbnb

Postby ghostdogg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:39 pm

What is it?

I'm currently thinking of converting my rental property over to use Airbnb. Anyone have experience hosting with Airbnb?

If you've ever used it to book a place, please share your thoughts and experiences!
Jay75
yet remains in darkness..

Re: Airbnb

Postby Jay75 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:02 am

It works really well, I used Airbnb and VRBO for short term renting and it was very popular over here in Berlin until they changed the law. In over 100 times I've rented out apts, I've only once had something damaged, and most of the problems were people not knowing how to use the nespresso machine or guests needing a taxi booked. I also put a minimum of 3 nights stay, just because of the time it takes to clean the apt afterwards. I've a few friends who work in other cities during the week and rent out their own personal homes monday to friday and its a good earner but they have had more damage and a few things go missing.
A few things I learned along the way were, write a manual (basically just explaining how to use the dishwasher and other appliances, and with local knowledge of where the grocery store is, nice restaurants etc). If you're doing it short term (every few days) write a check in time, there were a few times that folk would say I'll be there at 10pm and show up late at 1am without a phonecall.
I also use it a fair bit whenever I travel, I've found some great little apartments in some amazing neighbourhoods that are so much nicer and cheaper than staying in a hotel.
If you've got any specific questions or concerns let me know
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:05 am

Im booking a place for the fiurst time in nov for Blizzcon in CA. 8 of us rented a ginormous place we all have our own bedroom so no one pisses each toher off, and frankly, the price after split up between everyone isnt much more than a hotel wouldve cost, but this is a KILLER house with a giant kitchen and living room 4 or 5 bathrooms and a pool. im really excited, as i dont usually get to see really nice houses. 8 of us going to enjoy ourselves really nice that weekend. i cant wait!!!

I'll let you know how it is, and ill rate the host and our experience and tell you all about it if you like. Ive never done this before so im curious to report about it anyway (sun) (sun)
ghostdogg

Postby ghostdogg » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:25 am

Thanks guys - this is really helpful!

@Jay75 when something got damaged, were you able to get compensation for that? Their website says that they have some policy regarding that but doesn't explain what the process is to get that compensation.

@Rivoc please do! I'm curious what the end-user's point of view is and how to get the best ratings. Jay75 mentioned booking taxis; I'm actually planning on offering discounted car rental as a service that can go along with this (amongst other possible services) so any thoughts on that would be awesome!
Jay75
yet remains in darkness..

Postby Jay75 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:33 am

@ghostdogg the airbnb compensation system is not all its cracked up to be it doesnt cover a lot of stuff and you'll need a police report if its over a certain amount, I used to ask for a security deposit when I started the option is on the listing page. Also by checking out the visitors ratings, after they stay they can rate you're place and in turn you can rate them, you can kinda tell who's who. On a random note one service that seems popular is the airport pickup arranged by the host, I've found a few hosts that Ive used do it, usually its a friend of the host (or the person whos letting you in) who meets you at the airport and takes you to the apt for slightly cheaper than a taxi
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:11 am

Let me chime in here.

I have cleaned high-end condos and houses in Florida (had to do something to help pay for college... and food).

Every place had a guest book, this is a book that just allowed guest to leave comments, such as the time they stayed, what they enjoyed, where they ate, etc.

Everyone had a binder filled with useful information, such as how to use the stuff, how to operate the TV. One beach house that I cleaned, never did figure out how to use the TV, so I just gave up. In this book, there was also menus from restaurants, places to get pizza, and other information about what was around the rental. So when people did go out, they had some idea of where they were going. Also, have the WiFi information posted some place where they can find it. Make sure that they have a way to contact you.

A lot of the houses/condos had games, movies, and books, items for the guest to use while they were there. This really helped if they had kids. In speaking with children, not sure where you are at, but having items such as hi-chairs and pack-in-plays can come in handy. A lot of people send good money to rent them, even a small booster seat works wonders.

A word of advice, as someone who used to clean after people who stayed in condos and houses. Some people will leave them clean, some people will trash them. It is the nature of the game. Do not have a glass kitchen table, there is no bigger bitch to clean than a glass kitchen table when a toddler decides to leave handprints in the middle of it. Find something else that is wood and stylish (or hipsterish... if you are into that). Just make sure there is no glass, cause it is a real bitch to clean, do not put a glass cover on a wooden table. They get taken off, broken, cracked, food gets trapped. It gets real nasty. They also host dust like onto one's business. In keeping with this theme, keep extra blankets and pillows, no matter the length of the stay. Sometimes accidents happen.

If you pay someone to clean it, make sure they actually wash the blankets and towels. I have seen too many condo/house cleaners who would just toss them in on a rinse cycle. Fuck that, I wash them with hot water, sure it took me 3+hrs to flip a 3bd/3bath, but everything in it would be clean as hell. If you do plan to hire someone to clean it, call around to vacation rental companies and ask them how much they charge to clean a vacation rental. Do the same to cleaning companies. Most of the places that I cleaned, charged around a 300 dollar cleaning fee, I got the cleaning fee. The owner just got the rent. If they trashed it, I got paid extra, cause the person was charged extra.

Also keep in mind your laws on renting out a vacation rental and other short-term rentals and follow all the laws.
ghostdogg

Postby ghostdogg » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:09 pm

Wow Jay and Sky thank you - this was really insightful! I still need to read up on all the terms but the police report is a good thing to watch out for.

Also, the comments, binder and baby stuff are amazing ideas. I can probably get my hands on some second-hand baby stuff and I know most of the small business owners in my area so I could definitely put something like a menu/attraction together nicely. There is already Wifi and I'm thinking about where and how I'm going to put all this information.
AliceElite
//wrestles darkness...WINS!

Postby AliceElite » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:16 pm

I am thinking of AirBNBing out space as well....this was a great read!
Mr. 26
:-|

Postby Mr. 26 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:15 pm

After using it a few times over the past year, I will never stay in a hotel room if I don't have to. You can have as much privacy if you want or you can ask the hosts for suggestions on places to go. Brilliant use of modern technology

Return to “Jobs, gigs and business ideas”